Initial Feeback

Michel Kohanim

6 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@DaveStLou,

Thank you, got it.

@MWareman,

All interfaces can be enabled, disabled, configured (static/dhcp/ipv6) via the Admin UI. This said, not sure where to find the "interface metric". 

With kind regards,
Michel

Admin UI?

Is there some administrative interface other than what Polyglot provides on TCP/443?

image.png.7f92e62c9db90076b2d81578c693f92c.png

I don't see anything else listening (though I'm not sure what port 45235 is). A HTTP request to this results in:

Received: / {}. 
Code: 500
Command / failed

Port 27017 is MongoDB and 1883 is MQTT.

Michael.

4 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Admin UI?

I understood that the "Geek Batch" shipped without the Admin UI, but it will come with the production units.  Earlier in this thread, Michel posted this, "With regard to Basic UI, well, that was the whole point of delaying the release date while giving you access to the unit. The UI is in the works and will allow configuration of network, wifi, etc. Bluetooth is a little tricky since, currently, there's not much we can do with it. But, all the drivers are there and are loaded at start up.  "

On 11/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@asbril, it should be.

@MWareman, apologies for not being clear. If you want to install the beta, you must do:

sudo pkg delete polyglot 
sudo pkg install polyglot-beta

With kind regards,
Michel

I'm software bricked!

I followed the lines above and cannot access polyglot. 
SSHed in and examined debug.log to find this repeating ad nauseum

2019-11-8 13:38:19 [polyglot] info: Starting Polyglot....

2019-11-8 13:38:19 [polyglot] info: Settings: Polyglot Version 2.2.6
2019-11-8 13:38:19 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config from database
2019-11-8 13:38:19 [polyglot] info: Running in Polisy mode
2019-11-8 13:38:19 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config overrides from .env and updated d                 atabase
2019-11-8 13:38:24 [polyglot] info: Starting Polyglot....
2019-11-8 13:38:25 [polyglot] info: Settings: Polyglot Version 2.2.6
2019-11-8 13:38:25 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config from database
2019-11-8 13:38:25 [polyglot] info: Running in Polisy mode
2019-11-8 13:38:25 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config overrides from .env and updated d                 atabase

Then I deleted my homemade .env file and rebooted...no success and same debug.log running
So I removed the beat package sudo pkg remove polyglot-beta, and rebooted
Now I reinstalled polyglot with sudo pkg install polyglot...which appeared to install v2.2.6 ????
Debug.log running the same problem as above. 

Tried deleting the package and deleting the directories and reinstalling...same problem = polyglot v2.2.6? won't get passed initialisation.

stumped!!

4 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Now I reinstalled polyglot with sudo pkg install polyglot...which appeared to install v2.2.6 ????

I got 2.2.6 this morning with a regular update, so it appears that 2.2.6 was promoted to production.  That's the version that you should get now.

Just now, Bumbershoot said:

I got 2.2.6 this morning with a regular update, so it appears that 2.2.6 was promoted to production.  That's the version that you should get now.

That makes sense. The beta load has locked up my boot process and I can't seem to get it stopped. grrrr…...

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

That makes sense. The beta load has locked up my boot process and I can't seem to get it stopped. grrrr…...

If you can get far enough along in the boot process to get a command prompt, then maybe you can "sudo killall deamon"?  The continual restart problem has been noted before in this thread.  I'm not entirely sure, but you may need to drop the database.  There's information in this thread.

I understood that the "Geek Batch" shipped without the Admin UI, but it will come with the production units.  Earlier in this thread, Michel posted this, "With regard to Basic UI, well, that was the whole point of delaying the release date while giving you access to the unit. The UI is in the works and will allow configuration of network, wifi, etc. Bluetooth is a little tricky since, currently, there's not much we can do with it. But, all the drivers are there and are loaded at start up.  "

That’s what I thought.

My enquiry is more about how do I disable the WiFi interface in a way that won’t break the admin UI when available. Currently, if just commented it out of the rc.conf - but that’s a change that will likely break the admin UI if I don’t reverse it.

@larryllix, are you certain you are hitting the correct host/port?

@MWareman , thank you for the details. You commenting out the rc.conf is not going to cause any problems. What UDX does (the service that acts as the bridge between the OS and everything else) is to add "NOAUTO" to disabled interfaces. And, remove pseudo device mappings for WiFi. We are not using and UD specific instructions in rc.conf. So, it'll automatically figure it out. 

With kind regards,
Michel

1 minute ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@MWareman , thank you for the details. You commenting out the rc.conf is not going to cause any problems. What UDX does (the service that acts as the bridge between the OS and everything else) is to add "NOAUTO" to disabled interfaces. And, remove pseudo device mappings for WiFi. We are not using and UD specific instructions in rc.conf. So, it'll automatically figure it out. 

With kind regards,
Michel

I tried every combinations of http/https port:3000/443/none but no response.
See my debug.log above, showing a loop trying to initialise from some .env file whether it exists, or I rename it to savedenvfile and reboot
Right now I am trying the nodeserver directory rename to eliminate that booting complication.

3 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

With kind regards,
Michel

All software on my polisy are running and updating ISY except for polyglot v2.2.6.
I cannot get it to respond via browser admin console using any combination of ports I can think of.
Polyglot is running but failed initialising. This can be seen adding to the debug.log every loop still reporting this.

2019-11-8 17:21:26 [polyglot] info: Starting Polyglot....
2019-11-8 17:21:26 [polyglot] info: Settings: Polyglot Version 2.2.6
2019-11-8 17:21:26 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config from database
2019-11-8 17:21:26 [polyglot] info: Running in Polisy mode
2019-11-8 17:21:26 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config overrides from .env and updated database
[admin@polisy /var/polyglot]$

There has to be another .env file that is doing this, but I haven't been able to find one. I can completely remove my .env file, but it makes no difference to the initialisation failure reporting, and therefore must not be the offending .env file.
Polyglot did create a new empty nodeserver directory/folder.

Is there a way to reload v2.2.5?

@einstein.42This time I removed polyglot, deleted the polyglot folders, and deleted the user polyglot, also. I couldn't find any access to the group polyglot so I assumed it was gone, along with it.

Rebooted and reinstalled polyglot fresh.
Install went without errors but after rebooting again to install polyglot, I got another constant loop, but with a different set of reporting lines. The .env file does not exist in this directory. Perhaps these are some better clues how to fix my polisy.

2019-11-8 20:31:00 [polyglot] info: Starting Polyglot....
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: Settings: Polyglot Version 2.2.6
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config from database
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: Running in Polisy mode
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config overrides from .env and updated d         atabase
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] debug: Checking for DB Maintenence needs...
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] debug: DB Version Found: 2 no maintenence necessary.
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: Aedes MQTT Broker Service: Started on port 1883
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: MQTT Client Service: Started
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] error: uncaughtException: listen EACCES 0.0.0.0:80
Error: listen EACCES 0.0.0.0:80
    at Object._errnoException (util.js:1031:13)
    at _exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1052:20)
    at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1350:19)
    at listenInCluster (net.js:1408:12)
    at doListen (net.js:1523:7)
    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:141:11)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] error: uncaughtException REPORT THIS!: Error: listen EACCES 0.0.0.         0:80
    at Object._errnoException (util.js:1031:13)
    at _exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1052:20)
    at Server.setupListenHandle [as _listen2] (net.js:1350:19)
    at listenInCluster (net.js:1408:12)
    at doListen (net.js:1523:7)
    at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:141:11)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9)
2019-11-8 20:31:01 [polyglot] info: Caught SIGTERM/SIGINT Shutting down.
2019-11-8 20:31:04 [polyglot] debug: Created PID file: /var/polyglot/polyglot.pid

50 minutes ago, xKing said:

@larryllix looks like you've set it to port 80 somehow? That is not allowed by FreeBSD. Drop the db (way to drop was mentioned before) and it will start.

Thanks very much! I was just doing that when your post came in.:)  It did reset my polyglot and it is running again!

Now it doesn't like my Ecobee NS. It shows unmanaged and "uninstall" won't do anything or even delete the file folder. Manually deleting the folder changes nothing after reboot. Seems the polyglot setup file and the files are out of sync.
I tried reloading my original backup file but no help there.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Thanks very much! I was just doing that when your post came in.:)  It did reset my polyglot and it is running again!

Now it doesn't like my Ecobee NS. It shows unmanaged and "uninstall" won't do anything or even delete the file folder. Manually deleting the folder changes nothing after reboot. Seems the polyglot setup file and the files are out of sync.
I tried reloading my original backup file but no help there.

I’ll bet that Polyglot sees nodes left over on your ISY.  When I did this, I deleted them on the ISY from the Nodeserver | Configure menu, restarted Polyglot and all was well. 

1 minute ago, Bumbershoot said:

I’ll bet that Polyglot sees nodes left over on your ISY.  When I did this, I deleted them on the ISY from the Nodeserver | Configure menu, restarted Polyglot and all was well. 

Thanks.
I think we have agreement on that. My nodes are still in ISY, Polyglot reads the ISY profile and finds the polyglot profiles do not match, and then shows a ghost NS, with no options to delete/start or stop it.

However, I copied a saved copy of the Ecobee NS back into the proper folder and rebooted. Back in business but Polyglot v2.2.6 is crashing when trying to connect to ecobee server I think. I attached the log for einsten.42 in Jimbo's thread for ecobee NS.

I can't figure out why something as simple Ping nodeserver would have different behavior on my Polisy than when running on my Rpi. I have both configured to ping Google. On the Polisy version it shows "In-Fault" for that node but shows properly as "On Network" running on my RPi.

I looked for a Ping nodeserver topic under Polyglot to post this but couldn't find one. Probably because it just works.

Thoughts?

Edit: I found this in the Polisy Polyglot log - "2019-11-11 14:40:48 [polyglot] error: NSChild STDERR: Ping: sh: ping: not found"

6 minutes ago, DaveStLou said:

I can't figure out why something as simple Ping nodeserver would have different behavior on my Polisy than when running on my Rpi. I have both configured to ping Google. On the Polisy version it shows "In-Fault" for that node but shows properly as "On Network" running on my RPi.

I looked for a Ping nodeserver topic under Polyglot to post this but couldn't find one. Probably because it just works.

Thoughts?

Edit: I found this in the Polisy Polyglot log - "2019-11-11 14:40:48 [polyglot] error: NSChild STDERR: Ping: sh: ping: not found"

I had the same issue. After digging into more I discovered that there are two issues:

1. Bluetooth support is different in FreeBSD. The methods used in the ping server are not supported. 

2. The Ping API call works differently in FreeBSD (thus the error you see in the log.) 

I edited the Python code directly on my Polisy and removed BT support completely since I don't use it. Also rewrote the Ping call. 

I haven't forked the original project on Github so the code isn't posted publicly but I  can share it with you privately if you are able to manually replace Presence-Poly.py on your Polisy.

1 minute ago, glarsen said:

I had the same issue. After digging into more I discovered that there are two issues:

1. Bluetooth support is different in FreeBSD. The methods used in the ping server are not supported. 

2. The Ping API call works differently in FreeBSD (thus the error you see in the log.) 

I edited the Python code directly on my Polisy and removed BT support completely since I don't use it. Also rewrote the Ping call. 

I haven't forked the original project on Github so the code isn't posted publicly but I  can share it with you privately if you are able to manually replace Presence-Poly.py on your Polisy.

Presence is the other issue I was digging into. I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me the changes to Presence-Poly.py. I supposed then I can use that in lieu of the Ping nodeserver.

39 minutes ago, DaveStLou said:

Presence is the other issue I was digging into. I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me the changes to Presence-Poly.py. I supposed then I can use that in lieu of the Ping nodeserver.

I just installed the ping nodeserver for fun.  I looks like it has the same problem with the ping API call.  It shouldn't be too hard to fix.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

@bpwwer,

We actually spent a very good amount of time working on discovery:

1. mDNS … would have been ideal but browser support is not cross platform, so we had to abandon for now (but a very good candidate for the future)
2. Force a cloud connection (just like ISY) and then get the local IP address and redirect. Too mothershipy for us. So, had to abandon
3. Yet another Java Finder/Launcher. Sacrilegious, so we had to abandon
4. Hostname and DHCP seemed to be the most natural. Most routers support DHCP hostname … but it seems that more complex network infra doesn't support this

So, we'll have to figure something out one way or another. Everyone's feedback is quite welcome.

With kind regards,
Michel

Perhaps you've determined a solution by now, but if not could I suggest using a ping/nmap/arp-scan followed by an "arp -a | grep <macid>"?

...assuming you know the mac-id (or mac-id range/manufacturer) you can probably find the IP address (and hostname if router supports it)...obviously you have to be able to scan the subnet that is used (and if you can't, not knowing the ip address won't help you anyhow). I've used this to "find" devices sitting on a network after they have dhcp'd in.

The ping scan/arp is easy in Linux, and apparently achievable in Windows , probably would need to wrap in simple script of some type to allow easy usage/redirection.

The arp (mac-id presentation) only works on the subnet of the host (to my knowledge)...so definite limitations.

Also, my tp-link smart switches are able to be located on a different isolated (vlan) subnet by their switch management tool...so I may have to break out wireshark and see how that is happening (possibly they are "phoning home"...because I don't know how else they are achieving this).

(update...the app is doing a broadcast UDP query, the switches doing a broadcast UDP reply...I guess because the broadcast was to 255.255.255.255 pfSense is forwarding to all my vlan subnets)

TPSwitch.PNG

4 hours ago, jmbraben said:

Perhaps you've determined a solution by now, but if not could I suggest using a ping/nmap/arp-scan followed by an "arp -a | grep <macid>"?

...assuming you know the mac-id (or mac-id range/manufacturer) you can probably find the IP address (and hostname if router supports it)...obviously you have to be able to scan the subnet that is used (and if you can't, not knowing the ip address won't help you anyhow). I've used this to "find" devices sitting on a network after they have dhcp'd in.

The problem is not knowing the mac-id and my router doesn't let me access the list of dynamic IP addresses it's handed out.

I did have to use arp to get a list of mac-id/IP addresses and then go through the IP addresses one-by-one until I found the one assigned to the Polisy.  Once I found it's IP and Mac-id, it was no problem to add it to the router with a IP reservation and then add it to my local DNS server.

37 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

The problem is not knowing the mac-id and my router doesn't let me access the list of dynamic IP addresses it's handed out.

I did have to use arp to get a list of mac-id/IP addresses and then go through the IP addresses one-by-one until I found the one assigned to the Polisy.  Once I found it's IP and Mac-id, it was no problem to add it to the router with a IP reservation and then add it to my local DNS server.

Maybe the next generation of Polisy will have a HDMI port, then just add a wireless keyboard/mouse. I have an extra port on my HDMI switch.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

Might be a good idea for the MAC address to be engraved on the bottom of the polisy.

OTOH, with five Ethernet ports (3 wired, 2.4Ghz, 5GHz) it may have five different MAC addresses.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

Might be time for a new router.

Or just use an ARP scanner on your phone (I use Net Analyzer for Android).

Dunno why Polisy doesn't just give a UDP broadcast packet.  There's about a million software packages that could pick that up.

Archived