Initial Feeback

Michel Kohanim

Mine finally showed up - several days late.  I think because it rattled so badly they were afraid they broke it and didn't want to deliver it?  :-)

Both cards (WLAN and the 32GB SSD card beside it) were loose and rattling about.  I popped them back in.  The WLAN card popped right back out at me.  A few moments with a pair of tweezers fixed the little springy retention clips for both cards so they won't be popping out so easily.

Box looks very nice - love the logo on the front.  Shame, though, that I didn't even put the cover back on -- it's got a whole bunch of connectors there that are just crying out to me.  :-D

Step one: put a proper text editor on it.  That was going to be the emacs-nox package, but I settled for uemacs, since "df" claims there's only 4GB of space there.  I'm not familiar with zfs - what happened to the rest of the 32 GB SSD?

The resolv.conf is not quite what I think we'd like -- it provisioned an IP address fine, but put the local DNS server at the end of the list.  It also ignored the domain name provided with the DNS server.  So, it couldn't resolve any of my local hostnames with the domain name because it got a negative response from 8.8.4.4 first -- and it couldn't resolve any local hostnames without a domain name correctly, because it tacked "udi.com" on as the domain name.  That was an easy edit, but I expect I'll have to fix it each time it boots.

Next up - attaching a serial console, and seeing what it does with an SD card in the internal slot, testing a 128GB msata SSD I've got lying around in that third slot, and then seeing what magic might happen with the sata port and an external hard drive.

Given all that, it would be good to know how one would recover the Polisy after I manage to destroy the root filesystem by doing something foolish...  what's the plan there?

44 minutes ago, mwester said:

resolv.conf is not quite what I think we'd like -- it provisioned an IP address fine, but put the local DNS server at the end of the list.  It also ignored the domain name provided with the DNS server.  So, it couldn't resolve any of my local hostnames with the domain name because it got a negative response from 8.8.4.4 first -- and it couldn't resolve any local hostnames without a domain name correctly, because it tacked "udi.com" on as the domain name.  That was an easy edit, but I expect I'll have to fix it each time it boots.

Modify /etc/dhclient.conf to persist the hostname, set the DNS domain, and change the DNS server order...

I just installed py37-cryptography-2.6.1 on mine - and Polyglot started just fine.

The installer also installed dependencies:         py37-six: 1.12.0, py37-cffi: 1.13.1, py37-pycparser: 2.19, py37-asn1crypto: 0.24.0

These modules were needed for the LutronCaseta module (see initial reference of mine while resolving the dependencies for @avandeputte). Could those of you with Polisy not serving the page after this module also have this Poly installed?

The py37-cryptography-2.6.1 module itself does not appear to cause Polyglot to fail if you don't have any Poly that depends on it (it seems).

I was looking at the logs - and noticed the time was off. A closer look: Polisy was preconfigured to the Pacific timezone.

@Michel Kohanim This should probably be a UI configurable option.

For the geeks: "sudo cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime"

(replace America/Chicago with the appropiate timezone of course!)

Unable to change Polyglot web port from port 443.

After following the instructions above and upgrading Polisy, I was able to connect to the web UI on port 443. Yeah!!!

As a creature of habit,  and after seeing, "The port is 443 but can be set in the Settings,"  I tried to change the port to 3000.

I changed the port to 3000, clicked save, waited until the green banner disappeared and then clicked to restart Polyglot. When it restarted, Polyglot was still on port 443. There was no answer from port 3000.

Note: I have not yet configured Polisy to connect with my ISY. 

Here are the log entries showing the port change being successfully changed, the restart, and that the HTTPS Interface Service comes back up listening on port 443:

2019-10-31 03:24:39 [polyglot] info: MQTTP: Frontend Websockets interface Connected. 
2019-10-31 03:25:29 [polyglot] info: Settings Saved Successfully.
2019-10-31 03:25:29 [polyglot] error: ISY: Could not get Version. Check your settings. If this is the first time you are starting Polyglot, this is normal.
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: Caught SIGTERM/SIGINT Shutting down.
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: MQTT Client Services Stopping Gracefully.
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: HTTP Interface Service: Stopping
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: Aedes MQTT Broker Service: Stopping
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] error: MQTT received error: Error: client disconnecting
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: Polyglot shutdown complete with code: 0
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Starting Polyglot....
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Settings: Polyglot Version 2.2.5
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config from database
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Running in Polisy mode
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config overrides from .env and updated database
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Aedes MQTT Broker Service: Started on port 1883
2019-10-31 03:26:18 [polyglot] info: MQTT Client Service: Started
2019-10-31 03:26:18 [polyglot] info: HTTPS Interface Service: Started - Address: 0.0.0.0 Port: 443

Unable to change Polyglot web port from port 443.
After following the instructions above and upgrading Polisy, I was able to connect to the web UI on port 443. Yeah!!!
As a creature of habit,  and after seeing, "The port is 443 but can be set in the Settings,"  I tried to change the port to 3000.
I changed the port to 3000, clicked save, waited until the green banner disappeared and then clicked to restart Polyglot. When it restarted, Polyglot was still on port 443. There was no answer from port 3000.
Note: I have not yet configured Polisy to connect with my ISY. 
Here are the log entries showing the port change being successfully changed, the restart, and that the HTTPS Interface Service comes back up listening on port 443:
2019-10-31 03:24:39 [polyglot] info: MQTTP: Frontend Websockets interface Connected. 
2019-10-31 03:25:29 [polyglot] info: Settings Saved Successfully.
2019-10-31 03:25:29 [polyglot] error: ISY: Could not get Version. Check your settings. If this is the first time you are starting Polyglot, this is normal.
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: Caught SIGTERM/SIGINT Shutting down.
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: MQTT Client Services Stopping Gracefully.
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: HTTP Interface Service: Stopping
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: Aedes MQTT Broker Service: Stopping
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] error: MQTT received error: Error: client disconnecting
2019-10-31 03:26:12 [polyglot] info: Polyglot shutdown complete with code: 0
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Starting Polyglot....
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Settings: Polyglot Version 2.2.5
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config from database
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Running in Polisy mode
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Settings: Retrieved config overrides from .env and updated database
2019-10-31 03:26:17 [polyglot] info: Aedes MQTT Broker Service: Started on port 1883
2019-10-31 03:26:18 [polyglot] info: MQTT Client Service: Started
2019-10-31 03:26:18 [polyglot] info: HTTPS Interface Service: Started - Address: 0.0.0.0 Port: 443

Is port 443 defined in your .env? If so - that would override the database setting.

That being said - I’ve not yet see the setting option to change the polyglot listening port. The only port setting is in the ISY connection settings (the port that the ISY is listening on).

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

No, I haven't looked for the .env file yet.

In Polyglot v2.2.5, on the Settings page, there is a new parameter, "Polyglot Web Port" and it is set for 443. The page allows me to change that parameter to 3000 but it reverts to 443 upon Polyglot restart. I was assuming that this was the place to change the Polyglot web port.  I'll check the .env 

<edit>

I just checked and there currently is no "/var/polyglot/.env"  file on my Polisy

I can create the file but I don't know what to put in here to define the Polyglot web port = port 3000

1 hour ago, gviliunas said:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

No, I haven't looked for the .env file yet.

In Polyglot v2.2.5, on the Settings page, there is a new parameter, "Polyglot Web Port" and it is set for 443. The page allows me to change that parameter to 3000 but it reverts to 443 upon Polyglot restart. I was assuming that this was the place to change the Polyglot web port.  I'll check the .env 

<edit>

I just checked and there currently is no "/var/polyglot/.env"  file on my Polisy

I can create the file but I don't know what to put in here to define the Polyglot web port = port 3000

I got the same results a few time now.

Interesting. I upgraded to a newer build of 2.2.5 yesterday and I swear the option was not there. I just logged into Polisy again and now I see it....

To set a port in the .env file, put this in there:

HOST_PORT=443

(or whatever port you want). That being said - this was useful before Polyglot had the UI option. It probably shouldn’t be used now that it can be configured in the UI - but it really should work first!

1 minute ago, MWareman said:

Interesting. I upgraded to a newer build of 2.2.5 yesterday and I swear the option was not there. I just logged into Polisy again and now I see it....

To set a port in the .env file, put this in there:

HOST_PORT=443

(or whatever port you want). That being said - this was useful before Polyglot had the UI option. It probably shouldn’t be used now that it can be configured in the UI - but it really should work first!

How are you editing these files? Is there a resident editor in the o/s somewhere?

11 hours ago, Toddimus said:

Would you recommend waiting a bit to fully migrate all my nodeservers over to the new Polisy, or just go for it?

I have one nodeserver that doesn't run yet on the Polisy, so I'm running that one on my RPi still.  If you want a clean swap, you might want to wait until some declares success with installing all your nodeservers on the Polisy.

It's not that big a deal here, as I still have NodeLink and some other things running my RPi, so it's not going away immediately.  This configuration seems to run alright (as in the ISY doesn't complain). 

The nodeservers on the other device show up with a Current Status as "Unmanaged" in the Dashboard, just as nodeservers on the PGC show up as "Unmanaged" on the local instance of Polyglot.

It's not ideal, but I suspect I could go on like this indefinitely.

5 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I have one nodeserver that doesn't run yet on the Polisy, so I'm running that one on my RPi still.  If you want a clean swap, you might want to wait until some declares success with installing all your nodeservers on the Polisy.

It's not that big a deal here, as I still have NodeLink and some other things running my RPi, so it's not going away immediately.  This configuration seems to run alright (as in the ISY doesn't complain). 

The nodeservers on the other device show up with a Current Status as "Unmanaged" in the Dashboard, just as nodeservers on the PGC show up as "Unmanaged" on the local instance of Polyglot.

It's not ideal, but I suspect I could go on like this indefinitely.

I use the backup/restore method and it worked like a charm with only one ecobee NS. ISY never even noticed.

Now I need to know how to disable booting Polyglot on the old RPi while other ISY service apps are functioning.

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

Now I need to know how to disable booting Polyglot on the old RPi while other ISY service apps are functioning.

I haven't tried it, but this ought to work, provided you have a standard Polyglot installation:

sudo systemctl disable polyglot-v2

10 hours ago, mwester said:

I'm not familiar with zfs - what happened to the rest of the 32 GB SSD?

This is what I get out of df -h:

Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
zudi/ROOT/default    5.2G    1.4G    3.7G    28%    /
devfs                1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
procfs               4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc
zudi/tmp             3.7G     25K    3.7G     0%    /tmp
zudi/usr/home        3.7G    6.1M    3.7G     0%    /usr/home
zudi/var/crash       3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /var/crash
zudi/var/db          3.8G     17M    3.7G     0%    /var/db
zudi/var/db/pkg      3.7G    5.4M    3.7G     0%    /var/db/pkg
zudi/var/empty       3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /var/empty
zudi/var/log         3.7G    174K    3.7G     0%    /var/log
zudi/var/run         3.7G     46K    3.7G     0%    /var/run
zudi/var/tmp         3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /var/tmp
zudi                 3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /zudi
[admin@polisy /var/polyglot]$ 

3 hours ago, MWareman said:

The py37-cryptography-2.6.1 module itself does not appear to cause Polyglot to fail if you don't have any Poly that depends on it (it seems).

Polyglot failed for me when I was on 2.2.5_4, but it now works with the latest release (yesterday afternoon) of 2.2.5_5.

3 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

This is what I get out of df -h:

Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
zudi/ROOT/default    5.2G    1.4G    3.7G    28%    /
devfs                1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
procfs               4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc
zudi/tmp             3.7G     25K    3.7G     0%    /tmp
zudi/usr/home        3.7G    6.1M    3.7G     0%    /usr/home
zudi/var/crash       3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /var/crash
zudi/var/db          3.8G     17M    3.7G     0%    /var/db
zudi/var/db/pkg      3.7G    5.4M    3.7G     0%    /var/db/pkg
zudi/var/empty       3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /var/empty
zudi/var/log         3.7G    174K    3.7G     0%    /var/log
zudi/var/run         3.7G     46K    3.7G     0%    /var/run
zudi/var/tmp         3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /var/tmp
zudi                 3.7G     23K    3.7G     0%    /zudi
[admin@polisy /var/polyglot]$ 

Yep, that pretty much matches mine as well.  Most of the filesystems are pulled out of a single pool, and it looks like that pool is 5.2 GB in size, total.  The partition table on the SSD suggests it's sized to the full 32GB.  I've poked around with the zfs command, and it doesn't look like the various filesystems are using the multiple-copies approach, and it makes no sense to have RAID running on a single SSD, so there's clearly something else going on.

22 hours ago, garybixler said:

have the ability to clear the log rather then having it scroll though the entire log each time just to see the latest entries at the end.

+1 on this!

A new log should be created each day - and the UI should default to streaming only the days log. Prior days should be viewable - but not by default.

There should also be an option to delete logs older than a certain number of days automatically. Maybe default it to 14.

It's easy enough to install and setup logrotate when we have root. However - without root users are in for a poor experience after the system has been running for more than a few weeks.

55 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I haven't tried it, but this ought to work, provided you have a standard Polyglot installation:

sudo systemctl disable polyglot-v2

Thanks!  Seems to have done the job. I am hoping that is undoable in the event of polisy growth failures. :)

Now I found my own NRbridge.py software running two copies. I found a sudo version running from rc.local and removing that  seemed to speed my light responses back up to where they were originally. Poor bulbs probably didn't know who was refreshing them. :)

@mwester, thanks so very much for the feedback. To answer your questions:

1. The change in release date was because of the Admin UI that allows you to change hostname, dns entries, time zone, etc. The same Admin UI allows you to do backup/restore of your configurations. If the SSD goes bad, then you will need to boot up with a USB and reflash the new SSD. We are working on making this as easy as replacing the SD card on ISY. Alas, it's not that easy
2. Partitions were based on an 8GB. Once we finalize how to do recovery, we'll update the partitions to take advantage of the whole 32 (for instance, we could have a partition for recovery)
3. The only slot with mSATA is the first one. The other two slots are mPCIe. So, you cannot plugin your SSD into any other slot. You can, however, use one of these adapters and connect to the USB port

@MWareman, yes, of course the Admin UI allows you to set the time zone! The issues were due to a bug that was fixed. Clearing the log, yes. Vi, that's what I use all the time

@gviliunas, this is a bug that will be fixed today.

@Bumbershoot, which node server is not working on Polisy?

With kind regards,
Michel

Archived