When Is Polisy going to be better than a rpi?

apostolakisl

6 minutes ago, asbril said:

I would kindly suggest that we all drop this and focus on the positive.

OK. How about this:

"Dear UDI,

I am a long-time customer with a need for the functions of the ISY994i and those currently found in your "Polisy" device, or via a Raspberry Pi running "Polyglot"; however, I would like to have these products combined into a single unit that combines these functions. I understand you have frequently described Polisy as the "future of ISY", so it seems this is something you plan to offer. When might that be available for customers such as myself to purchase?

Thank You."

That seems both reasonable and pleasant. I asked a very similar question to a different manufacturer earlier this year, and they gave me a targeted release date (several months out), along with a link to sign up to be notified when it was released. It was released, I got notified, and it is now sitting on my workbench, ready to install. Gosh, that was a pleasant experience. Both parties are happy. It contrasts -- dramatically -- with my experience with UDI over the past year. 

And that's why threads and posts like this exist.

Customers are not always right. But sometimes, they have reasonable expectations and good points (and questions) The "negative" threads and posts you're seeing are a response by many to no longer feeling that we're viewed in that way. At a certain point, many people get testy. And then at some point, they're no longer customers. What we're trying to do is prevent things from getting to that point.

Without any future promises or hopes involved, right now, I find the polisy can dissipate the heat it generates unlike the RPi later versions that tend to overheat, being contained in a non heat-conducting plastic container, full of ventilation holes. Polisy is is a basically sealed, rugged metal container that should not fill up with dust over the years, and has good container surface area to dissipate it's internal heat. Most Rpi 4 vendors offer fan kits now, in an admission of the that  RPis tend to over heat if not placed in certain positions with lots of air circulation around them. Even early or cheaper RPi kits had optional heat sinks kits as the heat problems began to surface for some. On that note: I have never been able to prove a RPi overheated yet, but have had some suspicions about a few of them, acting strangely, and unexplainedly, at times, when not enough cooling has been suspected. I have never experienced that with my polisy, sitting under my ISY994 yet.

Eventually any unit with that much air required on the PCBs will be full of dust and may become less reliable, as desk top computers do, needing all their fans. Add some high humidity and you may have trouble. Polisy, hopefully has avoided all that for many more years of service. ** Do not fully immerse to clean ** :)

Polisy definitely has more I/O provided than a RPi and from what I understand RPis do not make good routers as their Ethernet and WiFi ports are all based on one USB handling chip. This may become important with so many Ethernet/WiFi peripheral devices starting to hit on ISY in the future.

Even if ISY994 continues to exist forever,  polisy could have a dedicated Ethernet port to directly attach to the ISY994 without depending on more electronics like a router or switches, or multiple long cables and connectors to rely on.

Anybody know what the configuration of the polisy Ethernet/WiFi hardware is?  How does it compare to a RPi's hardware?

The concerns about heat and dust wrt an RPI can be easily mitigated by selection of a proper case/enclosure, which would make it equal to the Polisy in those areas.  So that argument is a red herring.

The last line is a question that has little bearing on the discussion, but here's the answer:  Polisy's hardware architecture for network ports is superior to the RPi, RPi 2, and RPi 3, and about equal to the RPi 4.

The rest is all future -- and that's exactly why this thread was started in the first place, to find out when in the future this would be.

So, "when is it going to be better than rpi" is construed by some as hostile.  It isn't, it is a direct question to an obvious situation.  It has been just shy of 1 year since I paid ~$300 to replace my ~$30 rpi with a polisy.  I did this based on the claims made by UDI.  However, the polisy has actually had more issues than the rpi.  I have had to SSH into my polisy quite a few times to correct various library issues or update issues.  Currently my polisy is telling me that I need to upgrade, but the upgrades don't work, and I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer as to why that is. 

I still have the pri.  Logging into either one gives an identical user experience.  If someone secretly swapped the ip addresses, I wouldn't notice (aside from the nodes installed being different)  They are functionally the same.  

As someone who has spent thousands of dollars with UDI, praised UDI often, and contributed to the forum in a massive way, there is no reason to pick a fight based off of such a simple question.  Michel snapped with a very defensive and frankly inaccurate response.  It is absolutely NOT apples to oranges.  The product (at present) is polyglot.  It is not the box.  The box and whatever back end code is irrelevant, I (and all users) are buying the functionality.  And the functionality is identical.  Defensive people usually have a reason to be defensive.  I suspect it is because the software is behind.  Will the box end up being obsolete before we get the software?  I think that when you spend the money, you deserve some answers, not nasty responses.  An apology along with some honest answers would be nice.

@mwester, the future holds neither docker nor Linux. So, is there anything in this topic that is not moot in your case?

@madcodger, yes, I know, I know ... We are going down the drain because we choose to ignore your suggestions (marketing, consumer appeal, UI, Z-Wave, ... ).

@apostolakisl, I apologize for being confrontational. This said, I will not let you, or anyone else, compare Polisy with RPi. Period. If you have support issues, you can always submit a ticket. Forum is not support. I am not defensive. I am offended.

PG3 will be available by the end of this year. PG3 node servers will NOT run on RPi. Migration of PG2 to PG3 node servers can only be done on Polisy. Any new node server installation will require payment so that the developers can reap the benefits of their toil.

The only remaining thing would be migration of ISY to Polisy. I cannot give you a date because I do not have a firm date. But, what I can say is that all the plumbing is already done.

With kind regards,
Michel

18 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

ny new node server installation will require payment so that the developers can reap the benefits of their toil.

As a Non developer, I am very much in favor of paying for nodeservers. There is a lot of work involved and it motivates the developers.

37 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@mwester, the future holds neither docker nor Linux. So, is there anything in this topic that is not moot in your case?

Exactly my point!  So the only future the Polisy offers, at least to me, is its potential as an ISY replacement -- which is, at least in part, the subject of this entire thread.  Thanks for your comment that it's being worked on, that's hopeful.

25 minutes ago, mwester said:

So the only future the Polisy offers, at least to me, is its potential as an ISY replacement -

I have different view.  For me the RPi for Polyglot was only a temporary solution, almost exclusively for Geeks (and for low-techies like me, with Geek assistance :-)  ). The Polisy is a much better and more permanent solution, more powerful and easier to use. 

13 minutes ago, asbril said:

I have different view.  For me the RPi for Polyglot was only a temporary solution, almost exclusively for Geeks (and for low-techies like me, with Geek assistance :-)  ). The Polisy is a much better and more permanent solution, more powerful and easier to use. 

Pretty soon, it sounds like that (RPi) won't even be an option anymore for people. 

I got most of my RPis for about $120 CAD. The CAD must have devaluated against the USD a lot last night.

Anybody know where I can get a RPi4 with cooling fan with power supply, sealed case, and liquid heat transfer system, and SSD for $30 USD? We could make a lot of profit on eBay just selling the SSDs.

default_smile.pngdefault_smile.png

Sent using Tapatalk

@madcodger, yes, I know, I know ... We are going down the drain because we choose to ignore your suggestions (marketing, consumer appeal, UI, Z-Wave, ... ).
@apostolakisl, I apologize for being confrontational. This said, I will not let you, or anyone else, compare Polisy with RPi. Period. If you have support issues, you can always submit a ticket. Forum is not support. I am not defensive. I am offended.
PG3 will be available by the end of this year. PG3 node servers will NOT run on RPi. Migration of PG2 to PG3 node servers can only be done on Polisy. Any new node server installation will require payment so that the developers can reap the benefits of their toil.
The only remaining thing would be migration of ISY to Polisy. I cannot give you a date because I do not have a firm date. But, what I can say is that all the plumbing is already done.

With kind regards,
Michel
There we have the 'State of the UDIon' address default_smile.png .

I think that is what the users wanted... a word of encouragement. It's been very quiet on polisy from the administration and the mudslinging started. :)
We will get through this together. :)

Thanks Michel!

Sent using Tapatalk

Archived