Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

Seems I missed the momentous event back in October where 5.x finally went mainstream. Finally! Although, it was a kick in the balls to read here that Java was kept as the environment for the Admin Console. Clearly that was a bad idea for more reasons than anybody would have time to discuss on any forum. Besides the fact that Java has been the most problematic run-time environment ever, requiring a desktop fat client rather than webified interface is sooo 1990's.

I feel better now....I'll move on.

But I'm ready to make the jump. I have about 130 Insteon devices, over 300 programs, a few Z-wave devices, the Elk module, and the Networking Module to trigger events in external systems.

I know I need to upgrade my 300 series Z-wave board and have started that process. What's the best way to validate what issues and risks I face upgrading from 4.8.0 to 5.3.0? Is there a clean, full-proof roll-back process that isn't fraught with risk if I decide to go back to 4.8.0? Just having a backup doesn't make roll-backs easy.

On this thread it states, "Upgrading to this version may require a lot of manual intervention including verifying scenes, programs and program settings are correct.  In some cases it will be easier to rebuild your network."  If this in reference to Z-wave only? If so, I'm not worried about that since I have so few Z-wave devices and programs that use them.

Thanks!

I am upgrading from 4.8 to 5.3 and in the pre-reqs it mentions that I need a more updated version of the admin console.  I currently have 4.8 version of the console (naturally as it matches up with my firmware) and need 5.0.9 or greater.  

Where do I download that version?

Hello, 

I love the isy.....kicks the pants off of the insteon hub.

Just added a bunch of devices and java was being a pain, as i have not used it in forever because everything was working perfectly.

Anyway, when i finally got into the admin console and added my new devices i noticed a firmware upgrade.

It will not automaticaly work, so i am attempting to do it manually.   I have version 5.0.15A

where do i download the 5.3 firmware?

I cant find it anywhere.

I tried using the link in the last post, but it opens a window and ask for a file and now i cant get into the admin console again......grrrrr.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Edited by KevinShields

3 minutes ago, KevinShields said:

Hello, 

Just added a bunch of devices and java was being a pain, as i have not used it in forever because everything was working perfectly.

Anyway, when i finally got into the admin console and added my new devices i noticed a firmware upgrade.

It will not automaticaly work, so i am attempting to do it manually.   I have version 5.0.15A

I cant find it anywhere.

I tried using the link in the last post, but it opens a window and ask for a file and now i cant get into the admin console again......grrrrr.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

On the very first page of this subforum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KevinShields said:

Hello, 

I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Here is the link:

@shannong

I do not want to get into a flame war with you, but in my experience UDI staff respond to posts of all types in the forums more than any other company I have ever experienced. Nearly every other community/user forum I have ever participated in has almost no official responses to user posts. Often, it seems, these companies leave it up to volunteer moderators to be the de-facto face of their company on the community forums that they host.

I agree that as UDI has gotten bigger, and a vastly greater portion of their income has moved to large contracts vs individual users, their employee engagement with the user forum that they maintain has decreased from the good old days.  But this reality is contrasted by their greatly increased individual customer ticket support system.  Even as they have gotten larger, their customer support, both on the forum and through their support ticket system, is unmatched by any other company that I have ever engaged with.

• Like 7

I agree with Illusion.  UDI has yet to succumb to the temptation of forcing the customer to bear the cost of support as Illusion describes.  UDI has actual documentation in the form of its wiki.  It is useful and pretty well thought out.  Documentation is very hard to maintain, it has to be corrected and it has to be redone with each new version.  I'm showing my age here, but there used to be companies that had complete documentation BEFORE the product was released.  

As Illusion notes, most companies don't bother with customer support, offering just a forum with conjectures by the contributors as to what the design is.  I have found UDI's responses lead to solutions.

That said, I hope that UDI continues to offer great (relatively speaking) customer support.  Yes, it will increase the initial cost of products but the cost of ownership will be lower.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shannong said:

Thanks. That is helpful. Apparently UDI staff don't bother to reply to posts if there's any constructive criticism included.

The forum is not the place to go to UDI for help. That's why they have a support page to submit a ticket. 

This is a peer to peer forum. The place to go for your peers to help. While UDI does chime in from time to time, help from them on here is not a guarantee.

• Like 4

I upgraded to 5.3.0 and I appear to have most things work again.  Thanks for posting such good information.  I was going to create a new program and well, when I start trying to add an action to a program, I can't set the value of a scene.  Is this a bug or a change in the software?  I updated from a really old version (4.8.X I think).  

21 minutes ago, spyfish007 said:

I upgraded to 5.3.0 and I appear to have most things work again.  Thanks for posting such good information.  I was going to create a new program and well, when I start trying to add an action to a program, I can't set the value of a scene.  Is this a bug or a change in the software?  I updated from a really old version (4.8.X I think).  

Additional info:  all entries in "Your Devices" only have options for Query, Backlight, & Write Changes

I'm having an issue upgrading to the 5.3.0 version.  I have an ISY 994 ZW PRO with the 300 zwave module.

I did a zwave backup

I did an ISY backup

I replaced the 300 dongle with the new dongle

I upgraded from 4.8.0 to 5.3.0 software.

I am trying to restore the zwave backup and getting an error in the event viewer:  Backup Failed 15001

do i need to restore the ISY backup first?  in the OP, i did not see that.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by gilkesonj

6 hours ago, gilkesonj said:

I'm having an issue upgrading to the 5.3.0 version.  I have an ISY 994 ZW PRO with the 300 zwave module.

I did a zwave backup

I did an ISY backup

I am trying to restore the zwave backup and getting an error in the event viewer:  Backup Failed 15001

From the Wiki:

Upgrading from 300 Series

If you are upgrading from the 300 series, make sure you do:

• Z-Wave | Tools | Backup
  • File | Backup ISY
  • Follow the assembly instructions to swap the Z-Wave dongle with the 500 series version
  • Upgrade to 5.2.0 or above
  • Z-Wave | Restore

The full instructions are below:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave:_Ordering/Assembly_Instructions

6 hours ago, gilkesonj said:

I did a zwave backup

I did an ISY backup

From the Wiki:

Upgrading from 300 Series

If you are upgrading from the 300 series, make sure you do:

• Z-Wave | Tools | Backup
  • File | Backup ISY
  • Follow the assembly instructions to swap the Z-Wave dongle with the 500 series version
  • Upgrade to 5.2.0 or above
  • Z-Wave | Restore

The full instructions are below:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave:_Ordering/Assembly_Instructions

On 1/25/2021 at 12:36 AM, spyfish007 said:

Can anyone help?

45 minutes ago, oberkc said:

As far as I remember, it has never been possible to set any "value" of a scene, other than ON or OFF.

I can't even do that.  I have old programs with ON/OFF, but I can't create new programs with ON/OFF.  It is simply not an option in the UI.

I just checked mine, to be sure.  In a program, I can...

add action

Your Devices

Pick a scene

Drop-down list of a variety of options

Is this not available to you?

(unfortunately, I am only on v5.2 but I was hoping it is the same for 5.3)

12 hours ago, oberkc said:

I just checked mine, to be sure.  In a program, I can...

add action

Your Devices

Pick a scene

Drop-down list of a variety of options

Is this not available to you?

(unfortunately, I am only on v5.2 but I was hoping it is the same for 5.3)

Thanks for checking.  This menu structure is the one I am referencing and yes that is the one missing for me.