Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

27 minutes ago, Tedsan said:

Thanks, I'm afraid that I'm confused. I posted everything that shows in my About screen but there's nothing like a V5 or 4.55. It says Z-wave (21100)

Which doesn't look like any sort of version number I've seen.

Unfortunately, it now seems to be stuck in an endless cycle of "Linking. Please do not power off /unplug the system..." so the admin console isn't allowing me to take any other actions.

And by "endless cycle", I mean it's been doing that for the last 5 hours. The progress bar completes then it goes back to linking again so I can't manually change the firmware or do anything with the system.

I can show the PLM status if that helps

53.BE.6A v9E

Thanks for any more advice!

If you can't move past "linking", you best open a ticket with UD. They will help you.

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

Try the bottom of the Z-Wave menu: Z-Wave | Z-Wave Version

Selecting this option should produce a pop-up window that looks something like this (screenshot).

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.25.39 AM.png

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it can't communicate with the Z-wave dongle so I'm out of luck there. It seems I misunderstood the version I had and installed firmware that is incompatible and now I'm stuck in an infinite loop and can't wind back the update.

10 minutes ago, Tedsan said:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it can't communicate with the Z-wave dongle so I'm out of luck there. It seems I misunderstood the version I had and installed firmware that is incompatible and now I'm stuck in an infinite loop and can't wind back the update.

if you haven't opened a ticket yet email support@universal-devices.com

3 minutes ago, Tedsan said:

I managed to get to the point of it allowing me to upload an upgrade file.

What version should I use?

Thanks again for the help.

Does your ISY have a BLUE LED on the back next to Port A (shine the flashlight on your phone on it if it's not lit)..  If so it means you have a 300 series z-wave board and 5.0.16C is the highest version you can use.

What version where you coming from when you got in trouble.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

Does your ISY have a BLUE LED on the back next to Port A (shine the flashlight on your phone on it if it's not lit)..  If so it means you have a 300 series z-wave board and 5.0.16C is the highest version you can use.

What version where you coming from when you got in trouble.

Looks like it's bluish. Thanks for the tip. I think I was coming from 5.0.16, but not 100% sure. 

I was able to successfully roll back to 5.0.16c and now it sees my Z-wave again. 

16 hours ago, Tedsan said:

Looks like it's bluish. Thanks for the tip. I think I was coming from 5.0.16, but not 100% sure. 

I was able to successfully roll back to 5.0.16c and now it sees my Z-wave again. 

You have a series 300 z-wave board.  The first lines of the first post of this thread state:

On 10/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, Chris Jahn said:

Please note: As part of Z-Wave Certification, the ISY-994 5.x series no longer supports the 300 Series Z-Wave board.  Please check your upgrade discount eligibility and ordering instructions. If you have any other questions, please submit a support ticket

its fairly simple to upgrade the z-wave board.  see here for special pricing:   https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave:_Ordering/Assembly_Instructions 

If you do not upgrade the hardware you will need to stay on version 5.0.16C and not upgrade further.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBill said:

You have a series 300 z-wave board.  The first lines of the first post of this thread state:

its fairly simple to upgrade the z-wave board.  see here for special pricing:   https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave:_Ordering/Assembly_Instructions 

If you do not upgrade the hardware you will need to stay on version 5.0.16C and not upgrade further.

Who reads nowadays? That's too much work!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ronbo said:

Just picked up a second ISY. This one is a 994i ZW. How do I determine which 5.3 firmware to use, and also if my Zwave portion will be compatible or I must upgrade it?

Go to Z-Wave > Z-wave version in the admin console

Series 300 z-wave will show as version 4.55.00 the last compatible firmware is 5.0.16C (and you can order the upgrade to go to Series 500)

Series 500 Z-wave will show as version 6.81.00 you can use the latest and greatest is 5.3.3 (even tho it's labeled 'test build' go ahead, it's been out for awhile and no one has reported major issues yet things have been fixed since 5.3.0)

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided to just check on the last few updates, since I am on 5.0.16C. It seems, based on my (limited) research that the releases have been primarily focused on Z-Wave. Since I am not using Z-Wave, there is no need to upgrade?

Thanks for any guidance.

Mark

14 hours ago, giomania said:

I decided to just check on the last few updates, since I am on 5.0.16C. It seems, based on my (limited) research that the releases have been primarily focused on Z-Wave. Since I am not using Z-Wave, there is no need to upgrade?

5.3.2 fixed the long running Insteon 'adjust scene' bug.  

There's no reason not to move up to 5.3.3 if you don't have a z-wave board installed.   If you have a Z-wave menu image.png.5590561a00009fa8b27d78148caf6387.png

check the version.  if it's 4.55.00 stick with 5.0.16C.... if it's 6.81.00 or the z-wave menu doesn't exist move on up to 5.3.3

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

38 minutes ago, Byteman59 said:

Can I upgrade to this version if my unit is a ISY994i (1120) using Firmware insteon_ud994 v4.9.0?

Does your ISY have a zwave board?  If so, and it's a series 300 board, then the furthest you can upgrade is v5.0.16c

If it doesn't have a z-wave board or it has a series 500 z-wave board, you should skip straight to v5.3.3.

Coming from 4.9 can require extra effort, generally updates go well, however if your programs make use of "Adjust scene" each of those programs will require manual intervention.

Make certain that you have a good backup, and read ALL of the instructions.  Also another tip I'd recommend is to right click at the top folder in your programs (usually named "my programs") then right click and choose "copy folder to clipboard" then paste that into any editor such as notepad that won't add margins/page breaks etc.  and save that file.  You now have a searchable copy of your programs.  which will come in handy where something doesn't convert.  (most notable this is programs using "adjust scene" but there could be others.)

Edited by MrBill

56 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Does your ISY have a zwave board?  If so, and it's a series 300 board, then the furthest you can upgrade is v5.0.16c

If it doesn't have a z-wave board or it has a series 500 z-wave board, you should skip straight to v5.3.3.

Coming from 4.9 can require extra effort, generally updates go well, however if your programs make use of "Adjust scene" each of those programs will require manual intervention.

Make certain that you have a good backup, and read ALL of the instructions.  Also another tip I'd recommend is to right click at the top folder in your programs (usually named "my programs") then right click and choose "copy folder to clipboard" then paste that into any editor such as notepad that won't add margins/page breaks etc.  and save that file.  You now have a searchable copy of your programs.  which will come in handy where something doesn't convert.  (most notable this is programs using "adjust scene" but there could be others.)

If he has zwave then it's definitely the 300 board