ISY default smtp server (offline?)

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Mutt,

Yes, default mail server is back online but it's using different credentials and security mechanism. So, and unfortunately so, you either need to figure out a way to remotely change the settings. I am so sorry.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks Michel - I finally figured out how to open the Admin Console using my MobiLink Connect account and so I have access to the settings.  I think I would like to try your alternative server and so I sent a message to support, per your earlier message.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MrBill said:

True.  I forget that anyone would try to combine ISY use with any type of existing account.  I would just automatically make a separate account for that.

Don't believe for one second that because you didn't give your name that Google doesn't automatically connect it to you tho... between cookies and IP's google knows all.

True, there might be some assumptions made, but it won't be in writing. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 12:52 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

@Mutt,

Yes, default mail server is back online but it's using different credentials and security mechanism. So, and unfortunately so, you either need to figure out a way to remotely change the settings. I am so sorry.

With kind regards,
Michel

Honestly I never understood why UDI has to provide their own email server for this. Which IP camera brand for example, lets you use their own email server? They require you to set up email notifications using your own email account. All this does is creating a liability & additional support headaches for UDI.

IMHO, best thing for UDI would be to give like 6 months notice, and then shut it down. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by ISYhbsh01
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I switched to a dedicated Gmail account as suggested, set up only for my HA equipment.

That means I do not regularly monitor it.
For another purpose, I use a  Comcast account, they have a 999 message limit daily.
One BIG difference is that the messages are not stored in sent items for Comcast.
For Gmail, I checked in on the dedicated HA account and found thousands of sent items!
But I do not go into this account on a regular basis and may in fact forget - oops!

How are others dealing with this?

Thanks!,
Bill

Edited by WFP
1 minute ago, WFP said:

I switched to a dedicated Gmail account as suggested, set up only for my HA equipment.

That means I do not regularly monitor it.
For another purpose, I use a  Comcast account, they have a 999 message limit daily.
One BIG difference is that the messages are not stored in sent items for Comcast.
For Gmail, I checked in on the dedicated HA account and found thousands of sent items!
But I do not go into this account on a regular basis and may in fact forget - oops!

How are others dealing with this?

Thank!,
Bill

I use a comcast account dedicated to my ISY:

image.png.c6f93cebe6d32067a2cb63425d394ec8.png

My redaction ink gets in the way of "From", but it's Home:<userID>@comcast.net where <UserID> is the same thing as entered in the box above and is the portion of the email address before the @

Outgoing messages are not saved in SENT.   I actually use the account with a separate email app on my phone as the TO address as well.  (I use a different email app so that I can have Notifications turned on. (whereas real email uses a different app and has notifications mostly off)

I've found that sending email from and to the same account at the same provider to be very beneficial in terms of speed and reliability.

• Like 1

I also use a dedicated gmail account for sending alerts. I have a filter setup to move the sent mail to deleted rather than to sent. Just create the filter (screen shots below) with from (dedicated gmail account), to (your receiving address), and maybe a subject, but from/to should be good enough. Then "create filter" the next screen will give you the options of what to do with the message and select "delete it". 

Deleted emails should go away after 30 days. So you'll always have 30 days worth of sent alerts/notifications. 

image.png.e83c9ea20ab035b02a5fe30f91f07b72.png

image.png.e5bff823b524608be38433af09c0fd97.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Geddy said:

I also use a dedicated gmail account for sending alerts. I have a filter setup to move the sent mail to deleted rather than to sent. Just create the filter (screen shots below) with from (dedicated gmail account), to (your receiving address), and maybe a subject, but from/to should be good enough. Then "create filter" the next screen will give you the options of what to do with the message and select "delete it". 

Deleted emails should go away after 30 days. So you'll always have 30 days worth of sent alerts/notifications. 

image.png.e83c9ea20ab035b02a5fe30f91f07b72.png

image.png.e5bff823b524608be38433af09c0fd97.png

Thanks!  Glad to hear you made the filter work.

I tried a filter but it didn't work so maybe I had an error in it.

Will try again!

Bill

• Like 1