It worked fine for years ..

Jason Miller

But now things are showing "not able to communicate" or Alexa will say "OK" but the lights won't turn off. Lots of "cannot communicate errors" on the dashboard. 

ISY 994i
Firmware 5.0.16C

I can't upgrade the firmware because, "Series 300 z-wave will show as version 4.55.00 the last compatible firmware is 5.0.16C (and you can order the upgrade to go to Series 500)"

PLM shows connected

I see the device on the LAN dashboard (java client) and the ISY dashboard on the cloud.

Is this just the age of the system? Any thoughts? Nothing has changed with the setup or nothing inside the home has changed.

Programs seem to run. However, one program for instance always neglects cutting garage lights off now. If I log into the LAN dashboard and click a device, such as dining room lamp (2466D Toggle Linc Dimmer), I must query it. Once found, it shows up, but when I try to use it, says cannot communicate. Same room, same type of switch, same issue. 

I am not certain of older power line or dual band. Is the 2466D dual band?

All switches work fine when used manually on the wall.

2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Programs seem to run. However, one program for instance always neglects cutting garage lights off now. If I log into the LAN dashboard and click a device, such as dining room lamp (2466D Toggle Linc Dimmer), I must query it. Once found, it shows up, but when I try to use it, says cannot communicate. Same room, same type of switch, same issue. 

Have your tried a "Restore" on the devices in the admin console? Insteon links get lost sometimes and parts of the communication will stop working while other parts still work just fine.

Restore will write the links back into the device that ISY thinks should be inside the device. Right click on any device in the device tree, and you should see "restore" in the dropdown menu for that device.

10 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Ok .. I did some walking around the house. Upstairs, I have an Insteon Access Point 2443 .. not lighting up. Suspect that is the issue?

•  

If the 2443 is a hardware V2.0 or higher. It is built on the same 2413 base PLM assembly and has the same power supply issues the 2413S PLM we use. I also had strange issues until I rebuilt mine. That failed.

The older V1.? one are on a different main assembly and do not have the same power supply issue.

11 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

None.of them are dual band so its possible the access point being dead (the light could just be out as well) is causing issues. However, if everything works from the console i doubt that's your issue. With everything being extremely old power line only devices, I expect some issues....especially if you're using led, CFL, or florescent lights. If the PLM was the culprit, I would expect your issues to be more widespread. The same with the access point. If that was the issue, I would expect more communication issues with devices on the opposite leg. 

Ok .. I have narrowed this down a bit. 

1. Restore device in dashboard does nothing
  2. Devices shows it cannot communicate
    1. I click on
    2. Turns on
    3. When i click "off" in dashboard, popup says it cannot communicate
  3. Click ok, click off a bunch, error comes up, "drive not found"
    1. Click ok
    2. Click off again
    3. It works

If I query the device manually, it finds it, but eventually the issue above arises.

Nothing changed in the house, same LED Bulbs we had when installed years ago. Only change is the access point.

It seems everything is back ordered .. just due to chip issues or something else?

Archived