How to update ZOOZ ZST10 700 stick

nadler

On 2/4/2022 at 8:30 PM, kzboray said:

@brians When you load up the new firmware it is like doing a factory reset to the Z-Wave dongle. I'm pretty sure you will need to re-add your z-wave devices to your Polisy.

I just did the update and it did not do a factory reset. Speed and performance improved quite a bit, btw.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Replying to help others:

Firstly, you need to get the file from Zooz again, so start that process first. 

2nd, to get ZWave PC Controller I had to install All Tools and then 

Install > Manage Installed Packages > Z-Wave PC Controller > Click install

Once opened, to get all the options available

Gear icon > Detect > Click the correct COM port > Add > Ok

Now just waiting for the OTA/OTW file to upgrade from 6.04 (version shipped via Amazon)

Replying to help others:
Firstly, you need to get the file from Zooz again, so start that process first. 
2nd, to get ZWave PC Controller I had to install All Tools and then 
Install > Manage Installed Packages > Z-Wave PC Controller > Click install
Once opened, to get all the options available
Gear icon > Detect > Click the correct COM port > Add > Ok

Now just waiting for the OTA/OTW file to upgrade from 6.04 (version shipped via Amazon)

Anyone know a method to do this from OS X or Linux. I have slowly weened myself of pc to where I only have my crappy work computer which is somewhat locked down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sjenkins said:

Anyone know a method to do this from OS X or Linux. I have slowly weened myself of pc to where I only have my crappy work computer which is somewhat locked down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtual Box works well for this kind of thing. Just make sure to install extensions and allow the usb device to be used buy the guest os.

• 3 weeks later...

@mmb, FYI:  I experienced the same firmware upgrade issue as you. Finally, I contacted ZOOZ tech support. They had a few ideas to try but could not resolve the issue. Finally offered to replace the stick under warranty. I just received the replacement stick yesterday and was now able to successfully upgrade the firmware to v7.17.

In the process, Silicon Labs tech support suggested that the problem might be that encryption keys might not have been written to the device during initial factory programming. I was not able to verify this an opted for the RMA instead.

• Like 1

So to confirm:

Removing and updating the zooz does not lose any info in isy?

Can the zooz usb be replaced with another in case of failure etc  - is all the info stored on isy? 

in my experience using the single on pc I got impression that the dongle stores all the associations and the isy just interfaces with it therefore resetting or replacing will break zwave network. 

14 minutes ago, brians said:

So to confirm:

Removing and updating the zooz does not lose any info in isy?

Can the zooz usb be replaced with another in case of failure etc  - is all the info stored on isy? 

in my experience using the single on pc I got impression that the dongle stores all the associations and the isy just interfaces with it therefore resetting or replacing will break zwave network. 

Updating does not erase your information. 

14 hours ago, gviliunas said:

@mmb, FYI:  I experienced the same firmware upgrade issue as you. Finally, I contacted ZOOZ tech support. They had a few ideas to try but could not resolve the issue. Finally offered to replace the stick under warranty. I just received the replacement stick yesterday and was now able to successfully upgrade the firmware to v7.17.

In the process, Silicon Labs tech support suggested that the problem might be that encryption keys might not have been written to the device during initial factory programming. I was not able to verify this an opted for the RMA instead.

I have the same error when I tried tonight.

I did notice that all of the nodes show up on the Windows app that were on the ISY. So how did you replace the old with new dongle in ISY? Did you have to redo Z-Wave network or did ISY reprogram it?

Mine is 7.15 and I bought from Amazon in Canada.

I have found this... in there is links to a newer 7.17.2 version

https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/issues/3906

I tried this one also and did not work.

I also see in that link/thread they mention backing up and restoring the stick. Does anyone here know how to do that? I am thinking it is the NVM backup and restore button? I did this and seems to have created files that have XML file which corresponds to the nodes.

From what I can tell, it looks as if one can just pull the stick out of Polisy, place in PC and could perform OTA updates on devices etc. then place back in Polisy -

Edited by brians

@briansAt this point I have just be dabbling with IoP. The previous z-wave settings didn't matter to me so I just started over with the new stick. I am waiting for the migration to be able to move Z-Wave devices and for some node servers (Lifx) to migrate to PG3 before beginning a full-blown move from ISY.

I also purchased my stick from Amazon.ca. I think that Zooz's Canadian distributor is Home Tech Solution on ON.

Thanks for the link to 7.17.2. I just followed the link and was successfully able to upgrade to 7.17.2

@gviliunasGood to hear that it worked.

That firmware is supposed to fix issues with lots of Z-Wave traffic and large networks.

I am wondering since you are just experimenting with Polisy, are you able to test NVM backup and restore feature? Eg... do an NVM backup, then reset the S2 dongle... then restore it and put back in Polisy to see if it still works.

image.png.e55e7298679a5f6da46ca134eba8c0ed.png

I ordered another stick off Amazon... can return if doesn't update also, have ticket request with Zooz for current one.

Edited by brians

On 3/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, brians said:

@gviliunasGood to hear that it worked.

That firmware is supposed to fix issues with lots of Z-Wave traffic and large networks.

I am wondering since you are just experimenting with Polisy, are you able to test NVM backup and restore feature? Eg... do an NVM backup, then reset the S2 dongle... then restore it and put back in Polisy to see if it still works.

image.png.e55e7298679a5f6da46ca134eba8c0ed.png

I ordered another stick off Amazon... can return if doesn't update also, have ticket request with Zooz for current one.

Their ticket process was so slow, i ordered a new one from Amazon and returned the old. New one updated with zero issues

Edited by lilyoyo1

55 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Their ticket prices was so slow, i ordered a new one from Amazon and returned the old. Me one updated with zero issues

What I was thinking. Anyways did you happen to restore to the new one using the backup process in the software or just started fresh with new stick ?

if I get mine and updates I will attempt to restore backup I made from existing one. 

Firmware 7.17.2.406 update process changes.

If you are going to install this version of Firmware and you have not recently updated Simplicity Studio, do that FIRST!

After doing all updates there is a process change in updating the firmware.

Previously you would select Tools/OTA to update the firmware, now you use Tools/OTW, then select the correct firmware file and the update should start automatically.

It was NOT necessary to do NVM Backup/Restore. No data was lost during the firmware update. A simple reboot of the Polisy

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo shutdown -r now

And everything was back working with the updated Zooz stick.

Edited by kzboray
  • Like 3

@kzborayThe original instructions in this thread said to use OTW (over the wire) for the stick, not OTA (over the air).

Regarding NVM Backup/Restore I am going to try to do this when I receive a new stick, unless there is a different way - for all I know IoP will detect this and update the stick... @Michel Kohanim can you confirm what happens when replacing a failed Z-Wave stick in IoP with a new one? If not, is backing up the NVM and restoring to new stick the correct procedure?

15 minutes ago, kzboray said:

Firmware 7.17.2.406 update process changes.

If you are going to install this version of Firmware and you have not recently updated Simplicity Studio, do that FIRST!

After doing all updates there is a process change in updating the firmware.

Previously you would select Tools/OTA to update the firmware, now you use Tools/OTW, then select the correct firmware file and the update should start automatically.

It was NOT necessary to do NVM Backup/Restore. No data was lost during the firmware update. A simply reboot of the Polisy

[admin@polisy ~]$ sudo shutdown -r now

And everything was back working with the updated Zooz stick.

Do you notice any changes

I am running a few TEST z-wave devices on a isolated Polisy. This is not real world testing and certainly has not past the wifey test.

The most notable difference is a speed improvement of response from my Zooz ZEN32 switch. It's almost instant and I can toggle it on and off as fast as I can click my mouse. The Aeotec Smart Switch 7 is still a half second delay in response and takes a full second to toggle back and forth. No change from previous FW.

So very limited testing seems to indicate better performance with Zooz products in the 700 family.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, brians said:

What I was thinking. Anyways did you happen to restore to the new one using the backup process in the software or just started fresh with new stick ?

if I get mine and updates I will attempt to restore backup I made from existing one. 

Mine was a new install and stick. I did upgrade to the latest firmware but didnt do a backup or anything. Nothing was lost during the update

I just received new stick and updated firmware at the office here successfully. I then restored the nvram backup I had made and looks the same - it shows all the nodes etc. like my old stick did when testing at home. I will swap sticks later when home and let know. 

What is the difference after upgrading the Zooz 7 stick ?  I read somewhere that Michel recommended not to upgrade yet, as UD did not yet test the upgrade, so I wonder whether I should take the risk.

Edited by asbril

@asbrilIf you look a few messages back I posted to a github link where they discuss performance issues on large networks. I believe the latest version is supposed to help/fix with lots of Z-Wave network traffic.

It seems that 700-series sticks (including the currently latest firmware 7.17) have some problems which mostly appear on networks that:

• are relatively busy (lots of unsolicited reports like motion sensor, power meters)
  • are large and/or
  • contain some battery-powered devices

When lots of reports reach the controller in a short time, the 700-series sticks are not able to send any message.
It looks like the stick is somehow blocked and simply doesn’t send anything, maybe not even the protocol level acknowledgements for receiving the messages, causing end nodes to repeat their messages over and over, making the situation even worse.

??‍♂️ EDIT: Fix available, see below for direct links to the updated firmware 7.17.2

? Bug in NVM conversion routine, potentially causing connectivity issues. Details see below

? If you've updated, please take part in the survey so we can see if the update helps.

We believe the following symptoms are all caused by this:

• Huge delays (up to 60 seconds) when sending messages
  • Failure to send anything (TransmitStatus: Fail)
  • Floods of incoming reports that are transmitted over and over
  • Incorrect neighbor information (e.g. controller doesn't list some/any nodes as neighbors, etc.)
  • Failure to heal the network or individual nodes, especially in busy situations

I have had the first three symptoms on my network running 7.15.

The latest 7.12.2 is supposed to fix.

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, asbril said:

What is the difference after upgrading the Zooz 7 stick ?  I read somewhere that Michel recommended not to upgrade yet, as UD did not yet test the upgrade, so I wonder whether I should take the risk.

I'm on the latest and there hasn't been any issues

• Thanks 1