How to update ZOOZ ZST10 700 stick

nadler

Ok good news is I restored my Z-Wave configuration to a new Zooz stick.

The steps are:

I shut down Polisy.

I removed the old Zooz  stick and backed up the NVRAM using PC. It saves as a zip file.

I plugged in new stick in PC, then upgraded firmware on my replacement stick

I restored saved NVRAM to new stick on my PC.

I plugged in Polisy and turned on let it boot up and all my Z-Wave works as before.

I recommend whenever doing any significant changes to backup the Zooz stick on PC, in case need of restore... until UD implements a backup/restore like they did in the ISY994i (I presume that is what it did?!?).

Now I still do not know what would happen if I just placed in the new stick in Polisy without restoring the saved NVRAM from old stick. I did not want to try because I thought what I did was the proper way  based on my research what other hubs and HA people do.

2 hours ago, brians said:

Ok good news is I restored my Z-Wave configuration to a new Zooz stick.

The steps are:

I shut down Polisy.

I removed the old Zooz  stick and backed up the NVRAM using PC. It saves as a zip file.

I plugged in new stick in PC, then upgraded firmware on my replacement stick

I restored saved NVRAM to new stick on my PC.

I plugged in Polisy and turned on let it boot up and all my Z-Wave works as before.

I recommend whenever doing any significant changes to backup the Zooz stick on PC, in case need of restore... until UD implements a backup/restore like they did in the ISY994i (I presume that is what it did?!?).

Now I still do not know what would happen if I just placed in the new stick in Polisy without restoring the saved NVRAM from old stick. I did not want to try because I thought what I did was the proper way  based on my research what other hubs and HA people do.

I didn't back mine up when I upgraded this last time and nothing happened. It worked like normal

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I didn't back mine up when I upgraded this last time and nothing happened. It worked like normal

You said earlier yours was a new install and stick, I misunderstood and thought you meant you had no previous z-wave on there and when you said new install meant a new IoP install/setup with no previous Z-Wave devices.

So please confirm that your old z-wave dongle was being used in IoP and had Z-Wave devices, and then replacing it with a brand new z-wave dongle you still had everything in Z-Wave show up and useable in IoP? If this is the case then there is no reason to do a NVM backup and restore when changing dongles and IoP must reprogram the dongle.

5 hours ago, brians said:

You said earlier yours was a new install and stick, I misunderstood and thought you meant you had no previous z-wave on there and when you said new install meant a new IoP install/setup with no previous Z-Wave devices.

So please confirm that your old z-wave dongle was being used in IoP and had Z-Wave devices, and then replacing it with a brand new z-wave dongle you still had everything in Z-Wave show up and useable in IoP? If this is the case then there is no reason to do a NVM backup and restore when changing dongles and IoP must reprogram the dongle.

My initial install was all new. I updated the firmware on the stick then added my devices.

There's been another firmware release since then which i upgraded to the other day. My devices were still there and working after my upgrade. 

Having a back up is good practice. I was curious to see what would happen if i didn't do one. Now we have an answer for both scenarios

Edited by lilyoyo1

4 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

My initial install was all new. I updated the firmware on the stick then added my devices.

There's been another firmware release since then which i upgraded to the other day. My devices were still there and working after my upgrade. 

Having a back up is good practice. I was curious to see what would happen if i didn't do one. Now we have an answer for both scenarios

See this starting from Advanced | Factory Reset Z-Wave dongle

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Users:V5:ZWave:Advanced_User_Guide:TopMenu

This is for ISY994 however iI think the same principles apply to Polisy except it uses an external usb stick. Since Polisy does not have similar function to backup stick yet I think we should backup separate on pc and restore if replacing the dongle in a working system.

I believe that if I has just placed my brand new stick in without restoring then all my z wave devices would have been orphaned and I would have had to exclude include one by one. Someone here with a test Polisy can confirm by backing up nvram, resetting their stick and plug back in Polisy and note if all wave devices are orphaned, then restore nvram to same stick and plug back in again to see if zwave works. Of course shut down polisy in between removing adding stick. 

UDs goal I imagine is to create an automated tool that converts the isy994i backup file to one compatible with an s2 stick, in the future for those updating from isy. 

Edited by brians

1 hour ago, brians said:

See this starting from Advanced | Factory Reset Z-Wave dongle

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Users:V5:ZWave:Advanced_User_Guide:TopMenu

This is for ISY994 however iI think the same principles apply to Polisy except it uses an external usb stick. Since Polisy does not have similar function to backup stick yet I think we should backup separate on pc and restore if replacing the dongle in a working system.

I believe that if I has just placed my brand new stick in without restoring then all my z wave devices would have been orphaned and I would have had to exclude include one by one. Someone here with a test Polisy can confirm by backing up nvram, resetting their stick and plug back in Polisy and note if all wave devices are orphaned, then restore nvram to same stick and plug back in again to see if zwave works. Of course shut down polisy in between removing adding stick. 

UDs goal I imagine is to create an automated tool that converts the isy994i backup file to one compatible with an s2 stick, in the future for those updating from isy. 

That's my plan with my test polisy. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. 

• Like 1

Follow up after a few days of running the 7.17.2 firmware on S2 stick.

I have 20 Z-Wave devices currently on my network. All Z-Wave Plus or higher (eg. 500 series or higher).

41 Insteon devices currently on my network.

Seems my Z-Wave network is more stable and responsive but it could be just in my mind.

I added back my ZEN25 double plug, which before seems to have been causing lots of traffic on the network and so far I no longer experience the problem -  that issue was  in the release notes regarding floods of traffic which seemed to be what I was experiencing. Maybe if someone else here has a ZEN25 on older firmware they can let me know if they experience any issues like I did.

I haven't seen any typical communication errors for a long time when opening the Administrative Console, even when previously on 7.15 firmware - except when I would include the ZEN25 within a few hours it would cause issue on my network therefore had been sitting in a box unused.

On 3/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, mmb said:

@gviliunas thanks for the update.

Zooz support did mention others reported the same problem. 

I still haven't received my replacement yet.

I finally received my replacement Zooz controller. 

I updated without issue and everything is working perfectly.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, kzboray said:

I was having the same error as MMB when using this file. Support made sure i was downloading the file provided in the article and was able to update without issue. I just received my polisy and stick yesterday.t

This was the file I had to use. it's the 7.17.1, once updated to this version I still cannot update to the one provided in your link without error.

ZST10-700-ZW_SerialAPI_Controller_7_17_1_344_ZGM130S_REGION_US.gbl

Edited by xgfreon
sp

4 hours ago, xgfreon said:

This was the file I had to use. it's the 7.17.1, once updated to this version I still cannot update to the one provided in your link without error.

ZST10-700-ZW_SerialAPI_Controller_7_17_1_344_ZGM130S_REGION_US.gbl 157.59 kB · 0 downloads

Zooz provided this file to me and it didn't work for me either.  They concluded it was a bad stick.

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb question...  I have the Z-Wave PC controller software running and connected to my zooZ S2 Stick ZST10, 908.42 MHz USB stick.  The firmware file I downloaded was a .gbl file and that is not one of the options available when I select OTW Firmware Update.  When I select all files, and try it I get a bunch of errors.  Below is the info of my stick in the controller software:

Serial API: ControllerStaticLib, ver.8
Z-Wave device chip: ZW0500
Z-Wave device firmware: Z-Wave 6.04

Error I get when trying to apply the .gbl file:
Exception occurred. Program will exit.

System.IO.FileFormatException: Unknown field found. Not Intel HEX file.

What am I doing/have wrong?

Edit:
Do they make the ZST10 in both a 500 and 700 model?

Edited by Pokesfan

1 hour ago, Pokesfan said:

Dumb question...  I have the Z-Wave PC controller software running and connected to my zooZ S2 Stick ZST10, 908.42 MHz USB stick.  The firmware file I downloaded was a .gbl file and that is not one of the options available when I select OTW Firmware Update.  When I select all files, and try it I get a bunch of errors.  Below is the info of my stick in the controller software:

Serial API: ControllerStaticLib, ver.8
Z-Wave device chip: ZW0500
Z-Wave device firmware: Z-Wave 6.04

Error I get when trying to apply the .gbl file:
Exception occurred. Program will exit.

System.IO.FileFormatException: Unknown field found. Not Intel HEX file.

What am I doing/have wrong?

Edit:
Do they make the ZST10 in both a 500 and 700 model?

Yes, zst10 is S2 500 series and 700 series.

You have the 500 series stick which probably requires a different firmware.

The correct stick can be found on UDI's website as well as the links in the 700 series tips and tricks section

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, vbphil said:

Can the ZooZ zst10 700 stick be interrogated thru a terminal session with Polisy to see what version firmware the stick has in it?

When I start the AC, and open up the Event Viewer, I find this line:

Mon 04/25/2022 06:45:36 : [ZWAVE-FW ] Unrecognized Z-Wave firmware version/library [7.17]

If you need a more granular report than that, I don't think the telnet interface will provide you with much.  IoP may have a much more robust telnet interface (though I doubt it).

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 6.53.31 AM.png

5 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

When I start the AC, and open up the Event Viewer, I find this line:

Mon 04/25/2022 06:45:36 : [ZWAVE-FW ] Unrecognized Z-Wave firmware version/library [7.17]

thanks.

With the Event viewer open and set for Level 3. Select the Z-Wave/Z-Wave Version menu and I find this is shown in the Event viewer

Mon 04/25/2022 08:00:35 : [ZWAVE-FW        ] Unrecognized Z-Wave firmware version/library [7.15]

I've always wondered about that Menu selection because the popup window that is displayed doesn't show the information. Never thought to look in the Event viewer.

image.jpeg.dfc2d7fab322d4989d50239cc9d0e738.jpeg

6 minutes ago, EJones01 said:

I also have this error now (Unrecognized firmware 7.15). Was working OK yesterday. This is on a brand new Polisy (4 days ago)

I don't think this causes any issues (works for me).  I understood that this error will persist until UDI gets Z-Wave 700 certification and their firmware gets updated to reflect the certification.

Edited by Bumbershoot

14 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I don't think this causes any issues (works for me).  I understood that this error will persist until UDI gets Z-Wave 700 certification and their firmware gets updated to reflect the certification.

I can still control the devices I had already added, just not add anymore. If you click the Add button in ISY does the add window open ?

21 minutes ago, EJones01 said:

I can still control the devices I had already added, just not add anymore. If you click the Add button in ISY does the add window open ?

For me it did.  I moved all my Z-Wave devices over from the ISY994 to IoP using the Remove/Add menu items.  Remember, if you're going to add a Z-Wave device that is already enrolled with another controller, you have to remove it before you can add it again.  You can remove it using IoP even if it was added using another controller.

Edited by Bumbershoot

21 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

For me it did.  I moved all my Z-Wave devices over from the ISY994 to IoP using the Remove/Add menu items.  Remember, if you're going to add a Z-Wave device that is already enrolled with another controller, you have to remove it before you can add it again.  You can remove it using IoP even if it was added using another controller.

Unfortunately I don't get the remove or add windows up, so cant do any of this. Yesterday it was working fine.

20 hours ago, EJones01 said:

Unfortunately I don't get the remove or add windows up, so cant do any of this. Yesterday it was working fine.

Seems odd.  All I can imagine is that the Z stick isn't properly seated in the USB slot or possibly Z-Wave support has been unchecked in the configuration tab.

5 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

Seems odd.  All I can imagine is that the Z stick isn't properly seated in the USB slot or possibly Z-Wave support has been unchecked in the configuration tab.

I believe the z-wave stick also needs to be properly seated at startup, I'm not sure it will be found if plugged in running..