How to update ZOOZ ZST10 700 stick

nadler

On 5/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

Currently, we are shooting for end of June for testing and mid September for GA.

As the end of June is upon us, any news on this?  I don't actually expect to have it in my hands for a few months, but I'm ready to whip out the credit card and upgrade my original Geek Batch Polisy. :D

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, mmb said:

Thanks, I tried this out more for interest as my zooz dongle is working ok.

I presume the controller version is 7.17?

The instructions were slightly incorrect for me.  Basically I did the install of the Simplicity sw and technology (used All) which also installs the drivers.

I then selected the controller on the left then clicked the Tools icon on the right then scrolled down to Zwave Controller which launches the icon panel, then I selected OTW Firmware Update.

I determined I was on v7.15 through the Simplicity sw and tried to update using OTW but got this error.

Capture.thumb.PNG.83e9e37548413ae50321dd97a1fe0de4.PNG

So, this is happening to me too. I read through to the end of this thread and never found any solution. Just wondering if anyone has figured out what this might be. I love this stuff.

14 hours ago, Samedarkclouds said:

So, this is happening to me too. I read through to the end of this thread and never found any solution. Just wondering if anyone has figured out what this might be. I love this stuff.

I don't remember all the details but I ended up sending it back to Zooz for a replacement.

Edited by mmb
clarification
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Thanks, I am pretty much at that point. Maybe its just a fluke and I got a bum.

Appreciate the response.

Zooz told me there were a number they had to replace.  Fyi the replacement worked perfectly. 

• 2 months later...

@asbril All the information for installing and using Simplicity Studio can be found in this thread. There's a lot of information and simplicity studio isn't as user friendly as UDI's AC, but it is what you need to perform a backup and restore.

I'd read through the thread, then install Simplicity Studio, get logged in and then plug your Zooz stick into the computer you load Simplicity Studio onto. You should then have access to most of the menu items and you can just poke around.

Specifically you are looking for the NVM Backup / Restore.

2022-10-05_20-28-05.png

Edited by kzboray

25 minutes ago, kzboray said:

@asbril All the information for installing and using Simplicity Studio can be found in this thread. There's a lot of information and simplicity studio isn't as user friendly as UDI's AC, but it is what you need to perform a backup and restore.

I'd read through the thread, then install Simplicity Studio, get logged in and then plug your Zooz stick into the computer you load Simplicity Studio onto. You should then have access to most of the menu items and you can just poke around.

Specifically you are looking for the NVM Backup / Restore.

2022-10-05_20-28-05.png

Many thanks. I will attempt to do this tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@asbril,

Please send your error log on a ticket. I do not think updating the firmware on ZStick is going to help that much. Z-Wave not responding can only happen after IoP restart. So, the question is: what's happening/symptoms right before you restart IoP?

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel

I will send you again the error log, though I am not sure that it show anything as I restarted IOP several times so no sure that anything remains in the log.

Anyway the system is back on again and my real question was not so much to update the Zooz dongle because hopefully eisy will come in November and I am traveling most of October. My real concern is to backup the Zooz dongle for safety reasons if anything (more serious) goes wrong.

I have seen the backup instructions, posted by some in this forum, but it is a bit complicated for me. I will need time to understand how to perform the backup and may have to wait till I come back from my trip.

@asbrilThere was no significant difference updating firmware on the Zooz... I did only because I was having problems with a Zen25 double plug but seems like it did not fix it. In my case the Zen25 seemed to be flooding the Z-Wave network with updates about itself which caused the network to die. Unplugging Zen25, disabling in IoP, and rebooting Polisy fixed. Since you have a lot of Z-Wave devices, I suggest that you look at the logs and see if you can see a particular device that is sending lots of traffic.

Edit.. I found this huge thread about problems with Zen25 on hubitat.... too long to read but don't think there is a resolution.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/incident-zooz-double-plug-model-zen25/58017/358

Edited by brians

3 hours ago, brians said:

@asbrilThere was no significant difference updating firmware on the Zooz... I did only because I was having problems with a Zen25 double plug but seems like it did not fix it. In my case the Zen25 seemed to be flooding the Z-Wave network with updates about itself which caused the network to die. Unplugging Zen25, disabling in IoP, and rebooting Polisy fixed. Since you have a lot of Z-Wave devices, I suggest that you look at the logs and see if you can see a particular device that is sending lots of traffic.

Edit.. I found this huge thread about problems with Zen25 on hubitat.... too long to read but don't think there is a resolution.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/incident-zooz-double-plug-model-zen25/58017/358

Thanks. I don't have the Zen25. My only concern is for my Zooz dongle to survive till I get the easy and that is why I want to backup the stick. What I have seen so far, making that backup is tricky.

On 10/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, asbril said:

Thanks. I don't have the Zen25. My only concern is for my Zooz dongle to survive till I get the easy and that is why I want to backup the stick. What I have seen so far, making that backup is tricky.

The backup is not tricky at all, I explained how I did on page 3 and others have done since.

What makes you think the Zooz dongle is failing and its not the Polisy and/or something on your Z-Wave network? If the Zooz Z-Wave dongle is failing, chances are it would not be intermittent and would just stop working... considering that you are able to get it working again by rebooting tells me that it is not the dongle since others have had issues like this including myself. This is probably one reason why UD is moving to the custom ZMatter board because they realize that the Zooz dongle is not very reliable.

If you want best Z-Wave support now, the best bet is/was to get the ZMatter board for your Polisy (if it is still available for preorder) - you are going to need it anyways for EISY. I am not as optimistic that the EISY is going to be available next month, other than possibly a preorder which could have a shipping date in December or going into next early year.

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brians said:

The backup is not tricky at all, I explained how I did on page 3 and others have done since.

What makes you think the Zooz dongle is failing and its not the Polisy and/or something on your Z-Wave network? If the Zooz Z-Wave dongle is failing, chances are it would not be intermittent and would just stop working... considering that you are able to get it working again by rebooting tells me that it is not the dongle since others have had issues like this including myself. This is probably one reason why UD is moving to the custom ZMatter board because they realize that the Zooz dongle is not very reliable.

If you want best Z-Wave support now, the best bet is/was to get the ZMatter board for your Polisy (if it is still available for preorder) - you are going to need it anyways for EISY. I am not as optimistic that the EISY is going to be available next month, other than possibly a preorder which could have a shipping date in December or going into next early year.

Where do I order with "member discount " ?

• 2 months later...

I downloaded the latest Simplicity Studio and firmware version 7.18 and followed the processes described here in this thread to update the ZST10 - this was my first update since buying the ZST10 almost 1 year ago.

I am not 100% sure yet, but I believe I may be seeing some improved performance with 7.18 - some devices that were problematic seem to be communicating better to the IoP.  Also, some new nodes have shown up for some of the devices.

I have approximately 30 Zwave devices all of type 500 or 700 including 3 battery powered locks (2 U-Tec and 1 Schlage).

Has anyone else tried 7.18?

I'm not sure I'd upgrade......

I upgraded my Zooz 700 to 7.17 and then 7.18 on 2 different sticks (One came with 7.18). Actually, there were 3 sticks. The very first would not upgrade and was replaced under warranty by Zooz.

For the 2nd and 3rd sticks, the system worked well until I re-booted... Unfortunately, my system would then lock-up upon each reboot. The main symptom is that no ISY programs would run.  Apparently, an ISY device query needs to kick-off before programs are allowed to run and this would not happen. At that point, I would need to remove the Zooz, factory reset it via Simplicity Studio and then reboot IoX and re-Include all of my Z-Wave devices. This was a thoroughly "PIA" experience.

I remember seeing in the ISY log a line mentioning that 7.17 and then 7.18 was unknown or unapproved (can't remember the exact verbiage). Another user in the forum had the same problem. Don't know if this firmware issue was related to both of our issues.

I struggled with this issue for >1 month and rebuilt my system >4 times. (43 Z-Wave devices-Some requiring acrobatic techniques) I had several tickets open due to the varying symptoms. In the end, Michell told me that there was a problem with the ZOOz boot loader - a Zooz issue. He suggested waiting for ZMatter.

Since ZMatter was so close to release, I waited for that and could not be happier. Zwave is now working properly with ZMatter and all device persist through Policy reboots.

I don't know the root cause of the problem but it involved 2 different Z00z 700 sticks both with firmware above 7.15. I don't know how or when Simplicity Studio upgrades or affects the boot loader. I don't know if ISY v5.5.0 would fix the problem that I saw with the Zooz 700.

If it were me now, in retrospect, I would be very leary about upgrading using Simplicity Studio unless I was planning to move to ZMatter as a backup plan.

Edited by gviliunas

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare - I do have the ZMatter board and am waiting on the USB enclosure - as such, I wanted to try and push things to get the best performance possible out of the ZST10 before switching, but obviously I don't want to break anything to the point where nothing works... also, I wanted to wait until the migration capability exists so I don't have to re-enroll all of my z-wave devices and fix all of the programs

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that he thought 7.17 was necessary - sometimes it's difficult to have to read through these forums to get the information that you need or want