Time zone changed again.

andrew77

@andrew77

Here is what UD sells as replacement power supply - https://www.universal-devices.com/product/12v-1a-power-supply/

22 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

Is the tolerance exact or would 2.1 suffice? 

Since you have an active support ticket trying to help this I would ask Michel in the ticket about the power supply issue and ask if what you're finding would work if you don't buy what UD offers as replacement power supply.

4 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77

Here is what UD sells as replacement power supply - https://www.universal-devices.com/product/12v-1a-power-supply/

Since you have an active support ticket trying to help this I would ask Michel in the ticket about the power supply issue and ask if what you're finding would work if you don't buy what UD offers as replacement power supply.

I didn’t realize they sold replacement power supplies. Problem solved. 

As an added note.

Some old devices that you're not using any more might have power supplies that would work. Or at the very least if you're using it and you wanted to try a new power supply out you could attempt that before buying something new.

Depending on what you have you might be able to find specs for the power supply online. Make sure you check what you're using before blindly plugging something in. 

It might be an option of testing if you had something handy to assist in further troubleshooting if power supply is indeed bad. 

Based on the issues you're now describing though it very well could be since it seems to be there sometimes and not there other times. 

The ISY994i has a large voltage input specification. 5 volts to 30 volts, 2mm barrel + center pin; older manual said minimum 300mA I would just be sure the polarity is correct + to center pin and correct barrel size to fit the jack.

My first ones where 5 volts  500mA or 1 Amp. I have had a few over the years go bad. I see the presently sold ones are 12 volts 1 Amp.

When mine went bad. The ISY994i was semi stable until I tried a reboot. It would start up and when the LED's started it shut down and started the whole sequence again.

@andrew77, how do you know the zip file isn't empty?

And since you're trying to restore the ISY does that mean you were successful in accessing via admin console? You mention telnet and formatting the card above. If this is a new card you can skip that step.

Are you 100% sure that your Safari is setup to NOT unzip the file on download? Apparently this is a known MAC issue with Safari and must be changed in the Safari settings.

1. Open Safari 
  2. Click Preferences (Safari Preferences - Not System Preferences)
  3. Under the General tab, uncheck the option Open “safe” files after downloading

Make sure you follow the steps here - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing/Formatting_an_SD_Card

Start at step 3.

Also, what did you do with the original SD card you removed? Since it might have been a power supply issue perhaps the old SD card was indeed still good and still has the original setup on it. Perhaps put that back in and see if the device starts normally.

Final note - if you have a PLM make sure that it always powered on before you power the ISY994 and do anything with the firmware so it will not start in safe mode. 

40 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77, how do you know the zip file isn't empty?

I double clicked on the ZIP File to unzip it and there were two folders in it

And since you're trying to restore the ISY does that mean you were successful in accessing via admin console? You mention telnet and formatting the card above. If this is a new card you can skip that step.

I can get to the ISY GUI and the IP is the same as the router page says yet when I telnet I still get this:

-bash: telnet: command not found

Are you 100% sure that your Safari is setup to NOT unzip the file on download? Apparently this is a known MAC issue with Safari and must be changed in the Safari settings.

100% sure Just checked again and the box is unchecked.

Make sure you follow the steps here - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Replacing/Formatting_an_SD_Card

Start at step 3.

I can try starting at step 3 but I'm not sure it'll change the outcome

Also, what did you do with the original SD card you removed? Since it might have been a power supply issue perhaps the old SD card was indeed still good and still has the original setup on it. Perhaps put that back in and see if the device starts normally.

Actually I did put the old SD card in hoping it would magically work and nope.

Final note - if you have a PLM make sure that it always powered on before you power the ISY994 and do anything with the firmware so it will not start in safe mode. 

23 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@andrew77,  I did respond to your ticket on Friday and explicitly asked you to try a different power supply.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

I did get your email and tried to order one off your site but it wouldn't take my shipping address.

Luckily, I found one in a drawer that fit the specs.

When I plug it in the TX and RX and Memory flicker slightly but then its just the power LED that stay lit.

Not being able to Telnet to it makes this difficult.

Anything else I can try?

2 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

Not being able to Telnet to it makes this difficult.

Why are you trying to telnet? Also, if you're on macOS what version? Apple removed Telnet from recent versions of MacOS so you would need to find way to add telnet in to be able to use it. But, why are you trying to telnet to anything? If you start at step 3 (with a blank/new microSD card) then telnet isn't needed.  

@Michel Kohanim brings up the network issue. You mentioned your on Orbi (mesh?) system. Do you use any switches/hubs that you can hard wire your computer into the same device that the ISY is connected to? It's quite possible that your network is causing issues talking between wired and wireless devices. 

41 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Why are you trying to telnet? Also, if you're on macOS what version? Apple removed Telnet from recent versions of MacOS so you would need to find way to add telnet in to be able to use it. But, why are you trying to telnet to anything? If you start at step 3 (with a blank/new microSD card) then telnet isn't needed.  

@Michel Kohanim brings up the network issue. You mentioned your on Orbi (mesh?) system. Do you use any switches/hubs that you can hard wire your computer into the same device that the ISY is connected to? It's quite possible that your network is causing issues talking between wired and wireless devices. 

@Geddy Thank you for that piece of advice. I hardwired the computer to the switch the ISY is plugged into.

It seems my ISY is up and running again. 

I'm cautious so I'll hold back any celebrations until the system has been up and running for a while.

I'm also taking this 'warning' and looking at upgrades. Since I cant get Insteon stuff and 700 series Z wave seems like the best bet I'll keep on the UD site for when there is stock for the polisy models.

Thank you everyone that chimed in to help this perpetual noobie with his ISY.

Drew

Everything seems to be running (haven't checked timers etc yet)

except for a few devices.

I've tried right click "Restore Device" but that doesn't seem to work.

Should I remove them and re add them to the ISY?

@andrew77 I'm glad it's seemingly working! That's great to hear. 

59 minutes ago, andrew77 said:

except for a few devices.

I've tried right click "Restore Device" but that doesn't seem to work.

Are they wired or battery devices?

What are you attempting to do with them? Just turn them on/off in admin console? 

Before you remove/re-link/restore them try this:

In admin console:

• open the event viewer (found under Tools -> Diagnostics -> Event Viewer).
  • Set the level to 3 "Devices communications events".
  • Select any device (that you think it's working correctly) and try to turn on/off and watch the event viewer. 

In the event viewer you should see something similar to this: (I just chose a random on/off switch I have and turned it on then off from the admin console)

[INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 46 0D F9 0F 11 FF
 [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 46.0D.F9 0F 11 FF 06          LTONRR (FF)
 [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 46.0D.F9 44.D1.80 2F 11 FF    LTONRR (FF)
 [Std-Direct Ack] 46.0D.F9-->ISY/PLM Group=0, Max Hops=3, Hops Left=3
 [D2D EVENT   ] Event [46 D F9 1] [ST] [255] uom=100 prec=0
 [   46 D F9 1]       ST 255 (uom=100 prec=0)
 [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 46 0D F9 0F 13 00
 [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 46.0D.F9 0F 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00)
 [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 46.0D.F9 44.D1.80 2F 13 00    LTOFFRR(00)
 [D2D EVENT   ] Event [46 D F9 1] [ST] [0] uom=100 prec=0
 [   46 D F9 1]       ST   0 (uom=100 prec=0)

Now, physically go to the device and turn it on then off. Go back to the admin console and see what the event viewer is showing you.

I don't have any battery devices so I cannot show you what that might look like. But you shoudl see the TX and the ACK lines for sure. If not then there are communication issues and removing and re-linking then right-click "restore device" might be best attempt. 

At least the ISY is functioning again. 

15 hours ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77 I'm glad it's seemingly working! That's great to hear.  

Are they wired or battery devices?

What are you attempting to do with them? Just turn them on/off in admin console? 

Before you remove/re-link/restore them try this:

In admin console:

• open the event viewer (found under Tools -> Diagnostics -> Event Viewer).
  • Set the level to 3 "Devices communications events".
  • Select any device (that you think it's working correctly) and try to turn on/off and watch the event viewer. 

In the event viewer you should see something similar to this: (I just chose a random on/off switch I have and turned it on then off from the admin console)

[INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 46 0D F9 0F 11 FF
 [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 46.0D.F9 0F 11 FF 06          LTONRR (FF)
 [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 46.0D.F9 44.D1.80 2F 11 FF    LTONRR (FF)
 [D2D EVENT   ] Event [46 D F9 1] [ST] [255] uom=100 prec=0
 [   46 D F9 1]       ST 255 (uom=100 prec=0)
 [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 46 0D F9 0F 13 00
 [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 46.0D.F9 0F 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00)
 [INST-SRX    ] 02 50 46.0D.F9 44.D1.80 2F 13 00    LTOFFRR(00)
 [D2D EVENT   ] Event [46 D F9 1] [ST] [0] uom=100 prec=0
 [   46 D F9 1]       ST   0 (uom=100 prec=0)

Now, physically go to the device and turn it on then off. Go back to the admin console and see what the event viewer is showing you.

I don't have any battery devices so I cannot show you what that might look like. But you shoudl see the TX and the ACK lines for sure. If not then there are communication issues and removing and re-linking then right-click "restore device" might be best attempt. 

At least the ISY is functioning again. 

They are mainly Switchlincs and one KPL

Show up with the red Exclamation mark beside them in the GUI and the usual "Cant communicate" error.

I'll do more testing later today. Still cleaning up after the storm here.

@Geddy

Here's the log from a KPL

Tue 05/24/2022 11:36:56 AM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 0A D9 29 0F 11 00
Tue 05/24/2022 11:36:56 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 0A.D9.29 0F 11 00 06          LTONRR (00)
Tue 05/24/2022 11:37:00 AM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 0A D9 29 0F 13 00
Tue 05/24/2022 11:37:00 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 0A.D9.29 0F 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00)
Tue 05/24/2022 11:43:59 AM : [        Time] 11:44:06 2(0)

The first 4 lines were me turning on/shutting off from the GUI

When I went to turn on/shut off from the actual device it only wrote one line

I'll post the rest now

@Geddy

Entryway SWL (from GUI)

Tue 05/24/2022 11:49:17 AM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 0D 11 F8 0F 11 00
Tue 05/24/2022 11:49:17 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 0D.11.F8 0F 11 00 06          LTONRR (00)
Tue 05/24/2022 11:49:44 AM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 0D 11 F8 0F 13 00
Tue 05/24/2022 11:49:44 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 0D.11.F8 0F 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00)

From Device

didn't write anything

FANS (from GUI)

Tue 05/24/2022 11:51:19 AM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 19 E5 FB 0F 11 FF
Tue 05/24/2022 11:51:19 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 19.E5.FB 0F 11 FF 06          LTONRR (FF)
Tue 05/24/2022 11:51:22 AM : [INST-TX-I1  ] 02 62 19 E5 FB 0F 13 00
Tue 05/24/2022 11:51:22 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 19.E5.FB 0F 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00)
Tue 05/24/2022 11:51:22 AM : [INST-ACK    ] 02 62 19.E5.FB 0F 13 00 06          LTOFFRR(00):  Duplicate or ACK for a different device 

from device

didn't write anything

I'm assuming the remaining devices (SWLs) will be the same

@andrew77 seems like you've got more issues than user to user help on the forums can provide. You should open a new ticket with UD Support for this behavior and describe as best you can. 

Submit a Ticket:       https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets
Email:                           support@universal-devices.com

The reason I suggest trying to get support help is because your issues seem to be changing often. It's quite possible you have some power supply issues within the house. You say you had a storm come through and knock the power out for 8 hours the other day. Are power outages normal in your region? Do you have any other power supply issues?

Nothing with Insteon will just be 1 line in the event viewer. That causes me to consider that you have line noise somewhere in the house. That's a whole different issue and is very difficult to locate. You can't just consider anything "new" you've added to the house as it's been commmented on by others that old wall warts have even triggered line noise that blocks the powerline traffic for Insteon devices. 

Take a look here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON_Signal_/_Noise_Troubleshooting

Also see what @MrBill has commented on in the past for testing for noise:

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/35216-programs-not-working/#comment-330289

10 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@andrew77 It's been several days. Wanted to check in to see if you were able to get everything working again. Hope all is well and you're off and running!  

Hi Geddy. Thank you for checking in

we’ve been running around trying to get a deck and hot tub done so I’ve been out and about more. 
the isy is working again. I am going to take this as a warning and get a polisy. I have a few devices that are unresponsive. I did a few tests and posted them here. Next I’m going to remove them from the isy, rediscover them with existing links and see how that goes. 

Sounds good. Good luck! Perhaps start a new post if you have more issues with those unresponsive devices since this thread has a post marked as the solution any further updates here might not get noticed. 

Have fun finishing up the desk and hot tub! 

Archived