Outlook.com Credentials in ISY Not Working

Hoping someone can help.  I just realized that my Gmail emails from the ISY are no longer working.  I suspected this was going to happen as a result of the tighter security requirements that Gmail is imposing.  So I setup an Outlook.com email account to use instead.

Changing the email configuration in the ISY to the following gives me a "Mail server failure [TLS negotiation failed]. 

An internet search gave me information above my understanding.  Hoping someone can help me through this.

Thank You

image.png.c6f5ff0cd4cac9c04f17f2c5875d1b5e.png

@LarryCRetired 

I can't help you with outlook.com settings, but if you read through this thread you'll learn how to reset (or setup) your Google account so that it will work. It's quite simple (if you follow the steps that Google outlines). I've always used Gmail for my notifications and haven't had any issues...even with the latest changes to their systems. 

@mmb

Is this the post you're talking about?

You got lots of responses there, and as you say you went the Gmail route. I think the biggest issue is that nobody has had/posted successful use of outlook.com settings so since Gmail is shown in the Wiki and it's known to work it's often the path of least resistance. 

You said outlook.com settings worked fine on Polisy. Do you still run those settings on Polisy? 

I think Outlook might need some of the same setup steps that Gmail needs (or once needed) by allowing pop (even though using SMTP isn't the same), but yes, the Outlook setup for SMTP suggest STARTTLS, but you seemed to indicate that just TLS was working. 

The other option might be to use IMAP settings:

Server name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
Encryption method: TLS

But, I have not tested these settings. I just see them in the Outlook.com setup for synching email. 

One thing for @LarryCRetired (and others) to remember is that Outlook also now has 2FA settings that might be enabled and an app specific password would need to be added to the account rather than using the standard User/Pass that you have setup. So if you have 2FA (two factor authentication) active on the account you need to find out how to add an app specific password for Outlook.com. Honestly, I wouldn't have any free email accounts without having 2FA setup. But that's just personal security preference. 

PS: @LarryCRetired just noticed on the Outlook site that the SMTP settings are different than what you're using...

Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Geddy said:

@mmb

Is this the post you're talking about?

You got lots of responses there, and as you say you went the Gmail route. I think the biggest issue is that nobody has had/posted successful use of outlook.com settings so since Gmail is shown in the Wiki and it's known to work it's often the path of least resistance. 

You said outlook.com settings worked fine on Polisy. Do you still run those settings on Polisy?

Thanks for my post, the point was the Outlook.com settings actually crash the ISY, like a full hard reboot and it didn't come back.  A full power down was required to get the ISY to boot.  I did replicate the problem several times.  I did not pursue it any further and went thru Gmail process as noted.

I use Gmail now with less secure apps off.

• 3 weeks later...

So godaddy just made me switch from POP to office365.  I have tried the suggested settings (smtp.office365.com; SMTP Port 587; Use TLS; 10,000 timeout) but continue to get the same "TLS Negotiation Failed" error.

has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks

James

38 minutes ago, Geddy said:

@jmlarson Haven't tried to setup with Outlook.com server. Why not just sign up for ISY based Gmail account? It's simple and works.

I think some ISY libraries are out of date because Polisy does work properly with Outlook.com.

Have we hit the end of updates for the ISY?

39 minutes ago, mmb said:

Have we hit the end of updates for the ISY?

Doesn't appear to be anything official from UD, but I'd assume based on comments that if there are any updates to the 994 firmware they would be very small maintenance updates if/as needed. All development seems to be focused on Polisy (PG3 and IoP). 

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for one and not the other unless there's just something with the timeout issue since @Michel Kohanim suggested a 10,000 timeout above. 

I've never taken the time to test with Outlook because it's just worked with Google (from the start), that I never saw a reason to try something else. I get that some might not like the thought of being "tied" to Google, but is it much different than being "tied" to Microsoft? 

1 minute ago, Geddy said:

I get that some might not like the thought of being "tied" to Google, but is it much different than being "tied" to Microsoft? 

IMO Yes.  When I used Gmail I started getting pop up advertising from subject matter of a SPAM email.  I swore off GMAIL completely.  I dislike google with a passion (but you already know that).

34 minutes ago, Geddy said:

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for one and not the other unless there's just something with the timeout issue since @Michel Kohanim suggested a 10,000 timeout above.

Thanks i didn't do any further testing because it was hard crashing the ISY and it was taking too long to recover.

I just did the pita gmail procedure to disallow insecure apps.