Product comparisons Polisy vs. ISY

I'm trying to convince myself it's worth the upgrade from an ISY 994i Pro to Polisy as I prepare to move, but I need help talking myself into it.  If I understand,

• Polisy is basically ISY software running on a computer instead of dedicated hardware (Plus some additionally supported devices).
    • Is the computer-based ISY as solid as the 994i Pro is?  (I'm thinking of how often my computers around the house lock up and need rebooted to revive them, whereas I never have to do that with the ISY)
  • Polisy's Node Server is an improved version of ISY's Node Server and supports some additional devices such as Ring and Tesla, although it appears my ISY can also support those same devices (Polyglot-Cloud).
    • Is there a list of supported devices (ISY vs. Polisy)?  The new house has many WiFi devices (Fireplace, garage door openers, Doorbells, appliances, light switches, thermostat...) but if I upgrade to Polisy, I don't know that any of them would be supported
  • Polisy Pro adds the WiFi/Bluetooth module for wireless networking.  Does Pro contain any additional features?
  • Any other benefits to upgrading from my ISY 994i Pro to Polisy?

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, CJVann said:

I'm trying to convince myself it's worth the upgrade from an ISY 994i Pro to Polisy as I prepare to move, but I need help talking myself into it.  If I understand,

• Polisy is basically ISY software running on a computer instead of dedicated hardware (Plus some additionally supported devices).
    • Is the computer-based ISY as solid as the 994i Pro is?  (I'm thinking of how often my computers around the house lock up and need rebooted to revive them, whereas I never have to do that with the ISY)
  • Polisy's Node Server is an improved version of ISY's Node Server and supports some additional devices such as Ring and Tesla, although it appears my ISY can also support those same devices (Polyglot-Cloud).
    • Is there a list of supported devices (ISY vs. Polisy)?  The new house has many WiFi devices (Fireplace, garage door openers, Doorbells, appliances, light switches, thermostat...) but if I upgrade to Polisy, I don't know that any of them would be supported
  • Polisy Pro adds the WiFi/Bluetooth module for wireless networking.  Does Pro contain any additional features?

Thanks!

IoP (ISY on Polisy) is indeed software that's running on an independent OS (FreeBSD, in this case).  In my limited experience, any BSD variant OS is very solid, probably about as robust an OS as you're going to get in any consumer device, though it's not necessarily built for user friendliness.

PG3 (Polyglot v3) will only run on a Polisy, and the older PG2 software is depreciated.  If you want to move forward with node servers into the future, then PG3 will be the way to go.  So a Polisy will be required.  Polyglot Cloud isn't running any longer due to security considerations.  I don't know what the future for that platform is.

Polisy will support all devices that the ISY will (PG2 will run concurrently with PG3 on your Polisy -- not all node servers have been ported to PG3 as of yet).  Here's a list of PG2 an PG3 node servers that are available: https://polyglot.universal-devices.com

All ISY software development will occur on the Polisy, not the ISY.  The ISY platform itself is deprecated.

The Polisy is a much more capable computing machine, and you're unlikely to run into limitations regarding the size of your installation with a Polisy.

Wi-Fi works on the Polisy Pro if you need it.  I don't believe that Bluetooth is utilized as of yet, though I may be wrong.  UDI will soon release a much improved Z-Wave/Matter interface on the Polisy, so Z-Wave series 7 and beyond are and will be supported on the Polisy.  Not so for the ISY, which will stay at Z-Wave series 5.

13 minutes ago, CJVann said:

Thanks!

Polisy and the isy994 are one in the same in regards to being computers/hardware running the isy software. While there are still bugs being worked out with Polisy running the isy software, it is pretty solid where i have no problems running my home with it. If you read on the polisy sub-forum, you'll see everything that people are dealing with and doing with polisy.

Polyglot cloud is no long active and there is no timetable for when it will return. If you scroll down the forum main page, you'll see a subforum for all the node servers that PG3 supports. In time, that list will grow even more.

Going by your house list, you have a better chance at succeeding with polisy than you do with the 994. If the 994 supports something then so does Polisy. Long term, Polisy will support things the 994 does not and probably never support. 

The main benefit of polisy over the 994 is that most development/new features is going to Polisy while the 994 will get maintenance updates but will be limited in new features. 

You can stick with the 994 (if buying a new one) but will be buying something with a limited future. Polisy can currently use both Node server stores while the 994 is limited to the V2 store...at least until it's shutdown

Thank you both for the excellent summary and for talking me into upgrading - ha.  I see the Polisy list supports many more devices (77 more as of today) than the Polyglot Cloud did.  Looks well worth investing in.  

• Like 1

Many of the advantages of Polisy are listed above; I'll only add a few that I found useful. I purchased the Polisy Pro, because I wanted the flexibility to install without Ethernet nearby and the ability to use both serial and USB (wireless and plug-in) PLMs. I ended up installing near my router, so not using the WiFi.

It also has a multiport Ethernet switch built in so if you needed to expand your wired network it works well. My main router does not have extra ports, and I would have needed a switch for a wireless access point which I was able to connect to the Polisy Pro.

23 hours ago, bhihifi said:

It also has a multiport Ethernet switch built in so if you needed to expand your wired network it works well. My main router does not have extra ports, and I would have needed a switch for a wireless access point which I was able to connect to the Polisy Pro.

This also has less obvious but more important uses than that - if you have an Elk alarm system or similar critical device that you've linked to the Polisy, the built-in switch means that you do not rely on the rest of your network being up at all for that integration to work properly.  Depending on how robust your network is, that may be pretty important!

• Like 1