403 Error accessing https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/

Sachelis
Go to solution Solved by Michel Kohanim,

I haven't accessed my 994i for at least six months... it runs so smoothly. However, today when I attempted to visit https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/ from Internet Explorer II, I received a "The website declined to show this webpage" (403, Forbidden) error. 

Ideas? Has something changed in how I should access the device? I think a 403 error means you need to log in to the site, but I'm not being prompted for credentials.

Thanks!

I appreciate your guidance, Michel. However, you tone and certainty ("impossible and wrong") are unappreciated. I have used that link for more than a decade. The link went directly to "Admin Console (LAN") without displaying the ISY Finder. 

Have a nice day.

@Sachelis Is that URL you posted exactly what you have in your bookmark that you've used for ever?

I recall "back in the day" there were links that were needed back when browsers handled Java requests and opened the admin console that way. Long ago browsers stopped supporting Java and how it launches applications such as the admin console. In 2018 UDI released the "ISY Launcher" method so a browser isn't required to access the ISY admin console. 

This "new" way is a cleaner, easier way to access the admin console. This process also always makes sure that the User Interface matches the Firmware of the ISY994. Since that was a large issue people were having as upgrades were being released over the last few years.

There is an alternate way of getting the admin console file directly from the ISY, but it's just that the current suggested/preferred route is using the ISY Launcher process.

• Like 1

Thanks, Geddy. That sounds right. Back in the day (which is when I started using the 994), you had to use IE (which is what I've always done), possibly because it could launch Java directly. The new method works fine. I was slightly perturbed by the "It's impossible and wrong" reply I received, but grateful for the instructions in that post and your clarification.

@Sachelis well...in truth...the url you posted is "impossible" and "wrong". There was should have more to the URL. That's why I asked if you actually posted the bookmark URL or just summarized it. Looking back at some old 4.x release posts the URL had the version number behind the /994i/. I had to go back to 4.3.x release notes to find that. 

And yes...I remember the days of having to use IE to start the process. But even at the 4.3.x stage Chrome had removed such Java support so IE was the only way to still access it. That's why the ISY Launcher method was vital. It helped resolve two issues (reliance on IE to launch admin console and helped match UI/FW by default). 

I'm not at a decade yet, but just over 6 years so I remember the old process...vaguely. Thankfully, the new way is simple and easy. 

Let me know if you have any issues with it. Hopefully your ISY is somewhat up to date. 

• Like 1