Backup ISY 994i ZW+

johnjces
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

Several years back, I purchased an ISY994i ZW+ as a backup system "just in case" with a version 5.X.X firmware. I can't remember what version.

I have a lot of current backups from my 4.9.0 system with most likely a failing SD-Card, an easy fix. I posted about it below somewhere in this forum.

Without attaching the new never before programmed ISY with Z-Wave to a PLM, can I set it up? By this I mean, can I restore my backup, fix the programs that need changes and get the latest firmware? Then attach it to the current PLM?

I want to keep my current ISY running along before I swap it out with the new ZWave version and latest firmware. Just simplifies my fears of screwing something up knowing that I have a working PLM and ISY.

Again, thanks in advance!

John

26 minutes ago, johnjces said:

Several years back, I purchased an ISY994i ZW+ as a backup system "just in case" with a version 5.X.X firmware. I can't remember what version.

I have a lot of current backups from my 4.9.0 system with most likely a failing SD-Card, an easy fix. I posted about it below somewhere in this forum.

Without attaching the new never before programmed ISY with Z-Wave to a PLM, can I set it up? By this I mean, can I restore my backup, fix the programs that need changes and get the latest firmware? Then attach it to the current PLM?

I want to keep my current ISY running along before I swap it out with the new ZWave version and latest firmware. Just simplifies my fears of screwing something up knowing that I have a working PLM and ISY.

Again, thanks in advance!

John

Yes. Just use the zwave only firmware for your system. This can be found under the software releases and updates section of these forums. Once done, restore your isy. Once restored, upgrade to the latest firmware.

Personally speaking, I'd just go for it. More people cause more issues trying to avoid issues than going forward with things

Thanks so much for the reply! I shouldn't have mentioned that the ISY was Zwave capable as I don't have anything ZWave capable yet, just Insteon.

I know I have to hook it up to my network to communicate with it, but must I hook it up to a PLM in order to restore my backup and fix program issues. When all that is done, can I remove my old ISY from the current PLM and plug in the new ISY into thecurrent PLM. Offline for the Insteon powerline stuff.

Thx

John

• Solution
9 hours ago, johnjces said:

Thanks so much for the reply! I shouldn't have mentioned that the ISY was Zwave capable as I don't have anything ZWave capable yet, just Insteon.

I know I have to hook it up to my network to communicate with it, but must I hook it up to a PLM in order to restore my backup and fix program issues. When all that is done, can I remove my old ISY from the current PLM and plug in the new ISY into thecurrent PLM. Offline for the Insteon powerline stuff.

Thx

John

Depending how old "several years back" is you need to determine if the z-wave is 300 series or 500 series.  Look at the back of the  ISY next to Port A.  Is there a circle there?  If there is shine the flashlight from your phone on it... is that curcle a Blue LED?  if yes, that's 300 series.  A 300 series z-wave board is only compatible with firmaware up to and including 5.0.16C.   Since you're not using z-wave you could also remove the board (take out 4 case screws, one is under a label, slide the case apart and unplug the board with the blue LED next to port A, close it up and put the screws back).

I'm not familiar if anyone has restored a 4.9 backup in 5.xx, if you did that you should upgrade the firmware to the lastest first, then try to restore the backup.   However the procedure I've seen mentioned here in the forums is to downgrade the firmware on the new ISY to 4.9, restore your backup, Backup again for good measure then upgrade to the latest and greatest. 

Upgrading to 5 isn't hard... and there's really only a couple things to lookout for.  Programs that use adjust scene won't upgrade correctly and programs that are intentionally disabled will become enabled again. 

If you load 4.9 firmware and restore the 4.9 backup you can also make a text copy of your programs.  Right click the "My Programs" folder in the program tree, pick copy folder to clipboard (at the bottom of the list), then paste the clipboard into a notepad window, and Save As.   This give you a reference to what your program looked like before upgrading.

After opening Version 5's admin consoles do three things first....  Open Help > About and ensure that the Firmware and UI versions match exactly.  If they don't fix that before going forward.  Second, Go to the Programs tab > Summary subtab... look for the color yellow... if you find any that program needs manual help, it didn't upgrade correctly.   third, if you had any purposely disabled programs, disable them again.

• Like 1

Mr. Bill!

Thank-you again!

There is no hole, per se, but one could be made there. There is no LED in that area that I can decern from shining a light in there from all different angles. The image shows the label as an ISY 994i ZW+ and is supposed to have Z-Wave capability.

This is why I get concerned about upgrading as I have no idea if this is a 300 or 500 or what??  And things seem to change. I also do not see a daughterboard anywhere in this unit. Ugh!

ISY.jpg

24 minutes ago, johnjces said:

There is no hole, per se, but one could be made there. There is no LED in that area that I can decern from shining a light in there from all different angles. The image shows the label as an ISY 994i ZW+ and is supposed to have Z-Wave capability.

This is why I get concerned about upgrading as I have no idea if this is a 300 or 500 or what??  And things seem to change. I also do not see a daughterboard anywhere in this unit. Ugh!

ISY.jpg

You do not have the older 300 version.  Inside there should be a board plugged in since that model is ZW+ and it will be the 500 version.  You should have a z-wave menu showing in the admin console: image.png.1cd8cd26997de22c7f3f3969b556c530.png

checking z-wave version: image.png.4307700ed8f1361f4fe19421b2df2a69.png

should return 6.81.00 which is a 500 series board.

• Like 1

@ tlightne

Yes. I know... But I am not yet using Z-Wave stuff but will eventually.

There was a comment about the firmware going into safe-mode without a PLM attached. That is why I am asking if one can still program and setup this ISY without a PLM attached. And if it does go into a safe-mode is it still modifiable?

I am trying hard not to screw something up and all this info is a super help!

John

13 hours ago, johnjces said:

@ tlightne

Yes. I know... But I am not yet using Z-Wave stuff but will eventually.

There was a comment about the firmware going into safe-mode without a PLM attached. That is why I am asking if one can still program and setup this ISY without a PLM attached. And if it does go into a safe-mode is it still modifiable?

I am trying hard not to screw something up and all this info is a super help!

John

It is possible to install and run on 5.x and 4.x using the same PLM, although you may have to attach the PLM to the new ISY for brief periods.  It has been some years since I moved my production system to 5.x, so I don't recall the exact procedure, even worked with zwave using shift primary although more complicated.  

Upgrade new equipment to the highest supported firmware.  Backup your current system, power down, and unplug PLM.  Move PLM to new equipment, verify new equipment is on the latest version, restore backup to new equipment.  You may now see program errors. If needed power up and check your old ISY for references.  I was able to switch the PLM between the 4.x and 5.x ISYs and they both would function normally.  Z-Wave is the hardest part and was the reason I did a test run.  I believe once you move the backup file over with the same PLM you will likely be fully migrated and not need to go back to the old ISY.

• Like 1