Any updates on ZMatter software delay?

brians

I noticed for past couple days the message at top of forum announcing the Zmatter update delay is gone.

A possible reason that they removed is they decided that are unable to resolve by 9th so they decided to take down the message. I hope that is not the case, but there have been no further progress updates... just silence.

Just wondering if it is still on track for 9th or should I make alternate plans for this weekend, like instead maybe spend time with my wife LOL?!?

• Haha 3

They sent out emails regarding firware bugs with cause the migration method which to relies on the SiLabs firmware to make things corrupt. It further explains that the have tried to develop an alternate migration method, which uses ISY information to reconstruct the network onto the new dongle, but there is concern of routing issues using this method.

ETA is Tuesday 13th now for a version, in the worst case without migration if they don't have it solved by that time.

Since I have only 20 Z Wave devices, I can decide if I want to just manually add them back in similar to what I did almost a year ago when moving to Polisy. I don't have too many programs or scenes. If it is a similar process it won't be that big of a deal for me. In this case, I would hope that UDI provides an overview how to do this.. eg. document all ZWave devices, exclude them all from ISY, then remove Zooz USB dongle. Enable ZMatter/software upgrade and include each zwave device back in one by one and add into appropriate program/scenes.

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

From the latest mail: "All this said, we are going to spend the weekend and Monday to finalize migration/routing, with or without which we’ll release a version on Tuesday the 13th. This way, those who do not need migration can start playing and enjoying ZMatter while we fix migration or SiLabs comes up with an updated firmware."

Now I am really scratching my head on this one. Was I supposed to NOT be using the board yet all this time? I am using it just fine in a brand new Z-Wave network.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, zmarty said:

From the latest mail: "All this said, we are going to spend the weekend and Monday to finalize migration/routing, with or without which we’ll release a version on Tuesday the 13th. This way, those who do not need migration can start playing and enjoying ZMatter while we fix migration or SiLabs comes up with an updated firmware."

Now I am really scratching my head on this one. Was I supposed to NOT be using the board yet all this time? I am using it just fine in a brand new Z-Wave network.

Yes weird, and how does it differentiate which one to use in my case, where I have ZMatter installed and Zooz stick also... wonder if they prioritize the Zooz dongle?

7 minutes ago, brians said:

Yes weird, and how does it differentiate which one to use in my case, where I have ZMatter installed and Zooz stick also... wonder if they prioritize the Zooz dongle?

I don't have a dongle at all, just the ZMatter board. Maybe they mean that in the next update ZMatter will get prioritized if you also have the dongle? I don't know, I'm lost.

I understand that, and have been waiting on, this is software that allows one to migrate an existing zwave network to the new zmatter system without having to go through the exclude/include process for every zwave device.  I did not want spend all the time needed to recreate the zwave network.  My existing system is working fine and I had no urgent need to migrate to IoP.  

For those of you willing to manually re-add all your z-wave devices to IoP (whether using zmatter or a dongle) I do not think that this announcement is any big deal.  Or, perhaps this earlier software releases were "beta" and this one is actually z-wave certified.

Edited by oberkc
18 hours ago, brians said:

Since I have only 20 Z Wave devices, I can decide if I want to just manually add them back in similar to what I did almost a year ago when moving to Polisy.

I have a similar setup, and nothing Z-Wave is "mission critical".  I put the ZMatter card in my Polisy yesterday (along with leaving in the Zooz stick) and discovered that I couldn't communicate with Z-Wave devices at all.  I don't know what to attribute that to other than having two Z-Wave controllers, both competing for the same RF, that the ZMatter card is stomping all over the Zooz stick.  I deselected Z-Wave Support in the Configuration tab, restarted IoX and all is well again, minus Z-Wave.  In my installation, the ZMatter card and the Zooz stick don't seem to get along... 

I'll probably wait until Tuesday for the migration utility, and if it's not available, then I'll remove the Zooz stick, re-enable Z-Wave Support, and exclude/include the devices with the ZMatter card.  It'll be some pain to do it that way, but with a Polisy Pro, I can use WiFi and move it close to devices that don't support NWI.

On 12/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, Bumbershoot said:

I have a similar setup, and nothing Z-Wave is "mission critical".  I put the ZMatter card in my Polisy yesterday (along with leaving in the Zooz stick) and discovered that I couldn't communicate with Z-Wave devices at all.  I don't know what to attribute that to other than having two Z-Wave controllers, both competing for the same RF, that the ZMatter card is stomping all over the Zooz stick.  I deselected Z-Wave Support in the Configuration tab, restarted IoX and all is well again, minus Z-Wave.  In my installation, the ZMatter card and the Zooz stick don't seem to get along... 

I'll probably wait until Tuesday for the migration utility, and if it's not available, then I'll remove the Zooz stick, re-enable Z-Wave Support, and exclude/include the devices with the ZMatter card.  It'll be some pain to do it that way, but with a Polisy Pro, I can use WiFi and move it close to devices that don't support NWI.

HAd a similar experience here but rebooted the polisy and all worked with the zoos stick and ZMatter card.

Also, am not sure there is a "rush" for the card to be enabled as there is little impact at this point. I would rather see UD do their thing and make it as close to right upon launch vs rush it out and then sort through all the posts having problems.  I have been with UD for so long BECAUSE their systems are generally rock solid, so with that as my expectation, patience is easy.

Edited by dbwarner5
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, dbwarner5 said:

there is a "rush" for the card to be enabled as there is little impact at this point.

I guess that you right with regard to Matter, but I believe the upcoming firmware upgrade will enhance the Zwave performance, including supposedly  Zwave Scene.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, asbril said:

I guess that you right with regard to Matter, but I believe the upcoming firmware upgrade will enhance the Zwave performance, including supposedly  Zwave Scene.

Agree, but I would rather not deal with bad migrations adn failures over a 6 week period if instead I wait another 2 weeks for a more seamless transition.  Based on your history / posts of going to IoP, I think you would agree :)

6 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

Agree, but I would rather not deal with bad migrations adn failures over a 6 week period if instead I wait another 2 weeks for a more seamless transition.  Based on your history / posts of going to IoP, I think you would agree :)

I definitely will wait with migration till the tool is working. I have some 80 Zwave devices. My manual migration from ISY to Polisy was a big project, especially as some devices are tough to reach. This being said, redoing my programs, though a lot of work (hours and hours), it helped me making these programs more efficient (*).

What I read in this forum is that the migration tool should be ready before, or soon after,  eisy will be delivered.

(*) I have learned so much in this forum over the years :-) 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, asbril said:

I definitely will wait with migration till the tool is working. I have some 80 Zwave devices. My manual migration from ISY to Polisy was a big project, especially as some devices are tough to reach. This being said, redoing my programs, though a lot of work (hours and hours), it helped me making these programs more efficient (*).

What I read in this forum is that the migration tool should be ready before, or soon after,  eisy will be delivered.

(*) I have learned so much in this forum over the years :-) 

Where do you hear we have to wait for EISY now?

Yes I understand that in your case you have 80 devices and why you would not want to manually upgrade.

However, UID promised this, "We are going to spend the weekend and Monday to finalize migration/routing, with or without which we’ll release a version on Tuesday the 13th. This way, those who do not need migration can start playing and enjoying ZMatter while we fix migration or SiLabs comes up with an updated firmware."

Since it is just before 8pm PST at time of posting, they have just over 4 hours left.  I really was looking forward to spending tonight (and possibly next day or so) destroying my Z-Wave network LOL!

10 hours ago, brians said:

Where do you hear we have to wait for EISY now?

Yes I understand that in your case you have 80 devices and why you would not want to manually upgrade.

However, UID promised this, "We are going to spend the weekend and Monday to finalize migration/routing, with or without which we’ll release a version on Tuesday the 13th. This way, those who do not need migration can start playing and enjoying ZMatter while we fix migration or SiLabs comes up with an updated firmware."

Since it is just before 8pm PST at time of posting, they have just over 4 hours left.  I really was looking forward to spending tonight (and possibly next day or so) destroying my Z-Wave network LOL!

The "problem" of UD is that they strive for perfection and that they are transparent :-) .  Clearly the migration is complicated and I rather have them take more time than to deliver a faulty tool.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Uploading the 5.5.0 firmware as we speak. Working on instructions and documentations. Please note:

1. We could not get migration to work without losing all routing information. We will continue to work on it
2. OTA definitely has issues but now it's very highly likely that the issue is on the device side

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4