Migration to IoP BOMBED! HEELP please

TriLife

Greetings;

So, I was following the Wiki 994i to Polisy.pdf nicely.

The ISY was showing up, I started configuring the three NS I have.

Then, all of a sudden things came to a screeching halt, or to a crawl.

Say I click on details of the MQTT NS, it shows up after about 5-8 secs of only the Polisy SW versions. I click configure. nothing for 5-8 secs. Then some fields show up. Then 5-8 later the config help shows up...

I go back to the Dashboard and click the ELK NS. for about 8-10 secs it goes backt to MQTT NS. Then slowly things appear.

When I go to the admin console, turning things on or off also takes 5-8 seconds.

Oh, then, when I reboot Polyglot 3, it flashes to the my.isy.io screen, asking me to sign in.

Same happens after the reboot. I go to my-IP:3000 and after a long while I get the user/password screen. when I enter the combo, I get flashed to my.isy.io again and back to the my-IP:3000.

After a lot of thinking, it says it cannot find the ISY....

I tried soft resets and power cycles. No dice. Polisy is on 5.4.4.

FIGURED THIS ONE OUT: Oh, and in my.isy.io i get the attached information, "pending approval by owner"... Even if I purchased the full year's license on top of the 30 day trial as suggested in the above Wiki...

And to boot, UD's ticket system seems down, doesn't let me sign in. the buttons are missing.

Please HEEEELP!

my.isy.io.png

Screenshot 2022-12-10 161838.png

Edited by TriLife
added missing information

At a guess I don't think the migration from the original ISY to IoP finished. Can you log into the portal and go the the original ISY then click on <Select Tools> then hover over <Maintenance> and click on <Migrate to> You should see this selection box.

Enter the address for the new IoP and select what you want transferred.

2022-12-10_16-35-00.png

Edited by kzboray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kzboray said:

At a guess I don't think the migration from the original ISY to IoP finished. Can you log into the portal and go the the original ISY then click on <Select Tools> then hover over <Maintenance> and click on <Migrate to> You should see this selection box.

Enter the address for the new IoP and select what you want transferred.

2022-12-10_16-35-00.png

Yup, when I do that, it tells me that I already migrated 93 commands. Yet Google Assistant tells me that it cannot connect to Universal devices.

And, I lied, its not 5-8 seconds to log onto Polyglot, its more like 90-150 seconds.

Just now, Bumbershoot said:

Send them an email: support@universal-devices.com

I did... No answer. But that sometimes happens. They do answer, but it doesn't get to my email. It only shows in the ticket managments system. But since I can't log onto the ticket management system, I'm kinda up a creek...

In the meantime, I tried to "reconnect to Universal Devices" From within the Google Home App.

I get a "Could not reach Universal Devices". Definitely up a creek.

And PG2 doesn't seem to be working together with PG3. In order to undo this mess, I think I have to completely delete or at least stop PG3, restart PG2 and turn on ISY994.

Not really a smooth migration, is it? Especially when UD is unreachable...

Edited by TriLife
added missing information
3 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Maybe update packages on Polisy from the configuration tab? Be sure to wait 20-30 minutes before trying to login.

I did a complete SSH upgrade following the Wiki document just a few hours ago.

BTW, PG2 has a Polisy Update Button, but that option doesn't exist in PG3 anymore...

4 minutes ago, kzboray said:

If the login server is having issues, it may also be part of the Amazon / Google cloud link. You may want to hold off doing to much more until the back end infrastructure is back up and running.

Hmmm... do I understand you correctly that in order for Google Home to communicate with my Polisy, the UD infrastructure needs to be up and running? Was I mistakenly thinking that Google would communicate directly with my Polisy?

2 minutes ago, TriLife said:

BTW, PG2 has a Polisy Update Button, but that option doesn't exist in PG3 anymore...

The current practice for updating packages is to click on the "Upgrade Packages" in the AC (screenshot):

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 5.11.44 PM.png

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

The current practice for updating packages is to click on the "Upgrade Packages" in the AC (screenshot):

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 5.11.44 PM.png

Thanks, some progress: Google still says that it cannot reach Universal Devices, but after 30 secs or so lights sequentially respond...

The Home App still says it cant talk to UD though.

You said you were migrating form your ISY to IoP, this would require back end services from UD. Once the migration is completed you would not need UD back end services to be working for your local system to communicate with Google or Amazon.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, kzboray said:

You said you were migrating form your ISY to IoP, this would require back end services from UD. Once the migration is completed you would not need UD back end services to be working for your local system to communicate with Google or Amazon.

Thanks for that important piece of information.

In the meantime, I was able to get UD Mobile to connect to PG3. Progress.

However, neither Mobile nor the Admin Console are giving me the status of my MQTT/Tasmota switches anymore...

At least I can turn off the lights now (no mechanical switches in this house)

In the meantime, onto the ELK NS.

It shows connected in PG3 and I can see the different areas and sensors within NODES.

However the ELK NS doesn't show up in the Admin Console

2022-12-10 20:38:47,137 Thread-63  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:39:18,591 Thread-64  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:39:48,838 Thread-65  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:40:17,232 Thread-66  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:40:19,526 Thread-67  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:40:50,707 Thread-68  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:41:22,802 Thread-69  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:41:53,271 Thread-70  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:42:06,650 Thread-71  udi_interface      ERROR    Controller:discover: ELK Controller: discover currently does nothing
2022-12-10 20:42:23,961 Thread-72  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:42:55,019 Thread-73  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:43:26,503 Thread-74  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:43:57,636 Thread-75  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:44:20,246 Thread-76  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:44:31,042 Thread-77  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:45:00,125 Thread-78  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete
2022-12-10 20:45:30,726 Thread-79  udi_interface      WARNING  Controller:handler_poll: waiting for sync and node initialization to complete

Here's the log file for ELK

39 minutes ago, TriLife said:

See @Bumbershoot's post. Once you have upgrade packages in IoP, you shouldn't be using ssh to upgrade. It causes issues like you are experiencing due to the order of the packages upgrading.

If this is your issue, you may need to wait for UD's help.

• Like 1
Just now, DennisC said:

See @Bumbershoot's post. Once you have upgrade packages in IoP, you shouldn't be using ssh to upgrade. It causes issues like you are experiencing due to the order of the packages upgrading.

If this is your issue, you may need to wait for UD's help.

This was the first time I went into SSH, following the Wiki pdf. I have one of the original pre-ordered Polisys.

Unfortunately, I have no way of getting a hold of UD at this point. Their portal is down and when I write to support@... although they answer, I don't get their mail. I would see it in my ticket queue, but, I can't log on. Hopefully @Michel Kohanim will see this post and either fix the portal or send me a response from outside the ticket management system.

Cheers;

Is stopped PG3 via SSH, turned the power to the ISY994i back on and everything is working again for now.

When UD comes back on line and I can get a ticket issued and responded, we'll continue this saga. Very disappointing, I must say. I'm sure there's a good explanation to this.

Thanks for all of your efforts to get this resolved. I'm going to bed!

3 hours ago, TriLife said:

Oh, then, when I reboot Polyglot 3, it flashes to the my.isy.io screen, asking me to sign in.

This is normal. When you log into PG3 it will also ask you to log in to the ISY Portal. That's how Node Servers are tied to the Polisy in PG3. This is acceptable and should be done as part of the logging in process.

Polisy is on 5.4.4

I think you mean your ISY on Polisy is 5.4.4. Polisy version is only found through SSH (sudo uname -a). You should be at 13+ (current is 13.1 I believe)

Mine shows: 

FreeBSD polisy 13.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p2 releng/13.1-n250158-752f8
13d6ccc POLISY amd64

2 hours ago, TriLife said:

And PG2 doesn't seem to be working together with PG3.

PG2 and PG3 are completely different systems. They never "work together".

2 hours ago, TriLife said:

Seems as though you must have just started running your Polisy. Have you not had it running and updating along the way and just now trying to update it? SSH update really goofed some stuff up, especially on original units. There was an email, forum alert, and announcement about that so somewhere along the way should have gotten your attention. 

You should only update the Polisy through the method @Bumbershoot references above. The "Update Packages" button through the admin console of ISY on Polisy.

1 hour ago, TriLife said:

following the Wiki pdf

Apparently that part of the wiki should be updated. A problem with having static files in live "documentation" means that when something doesn't work right the static document is no longer relevant. 

The only migration steps I find on the Polisy User Guide are:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#Migrating_from_994_to_Polisy

I didn't see a reference to a PDF in those steps. What are you following?

Make sure you're reading the live documentation for the Polisy found in the User Guide portion of the Wiki.
https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide

You should also review this for how to get PG3 updated to the latest:

Additionally, the ISY on Polisy system is most recently on 5.4.5, but there has been no release announcement for that. Here's the 5.4.4 release info:

43 minutes ago, TriLife said:

I'm sure there's a good explanation to this.

I think the simple explanation is by not running the Polisy until now and trying to update it (sadly, following old/static documentation) might have created unexpected issues. Further adding to issues by trying to add node servers before Polisy, Polyglot, and ISY on Polisy were fully upgraded and migrated possibly added to the issue. 

For many the process has been simple. For a few it has been problematic (along the way), but a lot of long time users that know how updates tend to be for ISY will have been on the bleeding edge of the update/upgrade process and updating their units along the way. Indeed...this is a highly debated outlook by some around here lately. Sure, the ISY994 has been a rock solid machine for many years and people will set it and forget it. Sadly, as technology changes and new devices are released and the ecosystem is being developed it's probably better to have been active and remain current on updates and upgrades so the system doesn't fall behind at a stale state then create problems when trying to be brought up to speed and put into production use all at one shot. 

I think if you are able to get the device to update to the above current release levels. Then follow the wiki path of migration it should work. It seems to have worked for many others as of late. But, as you said...you have a pre-order Polisy. It's possible that additional assistance is needed for an original device if not already updated. 

Sadly, with the ticket system down and if you're not able to get support emails then there's little that could be done. If you email support@universal-devices.com and make sure you explain that you don't receive replies to tickets and with the ticket system down/unable to log-in you have no way to get the feedback I'm sure they will find a way to get back in touch with you. 

• Thanks 1

Greetings;

So, I was following the Wiki 994i to Polisy.pdf nicely. . . .

I've been thinking about trying this migration, but everything is working perfectly so I'm hesitant. I can't find the pdf you're referring to here. I don't know if it's better to migrate now or wait for eisy, which I plan on getting as soon as it's available.

I have a Polisy running PG3 and an ISY-994. Everything is working well. No z-wave. PG2 still shows up on my IoX launcher, but I don't use it now. I don't know how to delete it, or if I should.

I see references to the Polisy migration tool from last year, but I can't find it. The wiki Polisy user guide subject "Migrating from 994 to Polisy" looks straightforward but don't know if it's up to date. I saw another thread attempting to consolidate the migration information, but it's old and don't know if it's best practices now.

If someone could point me to the latest best practices for 994 to Polisy migration, that would be great. If it is recommended to wait for Eisy because I will have to migrate twice, I can do that, too. Thanks.

9 hours ago, auger66 said:

I've been thinking about trying this migration, but everything is working perfectly so I'm hesitant. I can't find the pdf you're referring to here. I don't know if it's better to migrate now or wait for eisy, which I plan on getting as soon as it's available.

I have a Polisy running PG3 and an ISY-994. Everything is working well. No z-wave. PG2 still shows up on my IoX launcher, but I don't use it now. I don't know how to delete it, or if I should.

I see references to the Polisy migration tool from last year, but I can't find it. The wiki Polisy user guide subject "Migrating from 994 to Polisy" looks straightforward but don't know if it's up to date. I saw another thread attempting to consolidate the migration information, but it's old and don't know if it's best practices now.

If someone could point me to the latest best practices for 994 to Polisy migration, that would be great. If it is recommended to wait for Eisy because I will have to migrate twice, I can do that, too. Thanks.

Try the 2 links posted by @Geddyabove.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide#Migrating_from_994_to_Polisy

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Polisy:User_Guide