Can't Launch Admin Panel

gadgetfreak

From the my.isy.io site, I installed the Admin Console. I got the ISY finder to pop up. When I double click the my.isy one, I first get an XML Parse Error. I press OK and then get an LIB error. I press OK again and then I just get a blank console. 

Can anyone please help? Thx.

2023-04-05 11_00_42-Window.png

2.png

3.png

When you say you "installed admin console" from my.isy.io what did you do? Or do you mean that you just added the admin console URL to your ISY Finder window?

Make sure you got the "Admin Console URL" link and not just the "URL to ISY" link. The Admin Console link needs to have "desc" at the end of it. (It appears that it did in one of your shots)

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but are you using the start.jnlp that's downloaded from the wiki (via direct link to UDI's site)? 

Are you local to your ISY or attempting this while remote? 

I know I ran into an issue a few months ago, but it was a glitch with UDI's site at the time I was attempting to connect while remote. It resolved itself once their site/portal was stable again. 

If you log into ISY Portal does it show the ISY994 online? (since you posted in ISY994 area I'm assuming this is indeed ISY994 equipment.)

Try not double clicking on the URL and single click and see if you get an option for "Admin Console (Cloud)". 

Lastly, what Firmware are you running? 

• Like 1

in addition to @Geddy's comments, did you copy and paste the long url from the portal, or did you attempt to manually type it?

Also I don't think you're getting that far.... but when asked to login to the admin console using the remote URL going thru the portal you must supply your PORTAL credentials... not the simple admin console credentials...  Stated another way for clarity, when you reach this box: image.png.bcc88592d2c36690d93200ff9ef1f14a.png you must use the Portal login information, not what you use when opening the admin console on the local network.

• Like 1

Guys, thank you SO MUCH for your fast replies. I recopied the URL from the my.isy.io portal and it worked. I am not sure what the old URL was that was appearing in my ISY finder originally - maybe an old ISY (?) but it is all working now. Again, I appreciate your fast responses. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Why is this process so terrible?  Does any of this work in Chrome yet?  I haven't had to mess with my ISY for at least a year and now having upgraded Java on both my machines, I can't get into the admin console anymore.  Is there another way other than this overly manual, terribly written java "backdoor"?

None of the instructions are detailed enough to help troubleshoot if any of the steps don't work.. they just assume everything will go fine, and in my 10 years of working with this tech, it never has.  I've been in IT for over 20 years and can follow instructions with the best of them, but the moment something doesn't go as planned, these instructions leave you hanging..  Sorry for the rant but this is so frustrating and it shouldn't be with properly provided troubleshooting steps.

9 minutes ago, shane4581 said:

Why is this process so terrible?  Does any of this work in Chrome yet?  I haven't had to mess with my ISY for at least a year and now having upgraded Java on both my machines, I can't get into the admin console anymore.  Is there another way other than this overly manual, terribly written java "backdoor"?

None of the instructions are detailed enough to help troubleshoot if any of the steps don't work.. they just assume everything will go fine, and in my 10 years of working with this tech, it never has.  I've been in IT for over 20 years and can follow instructions with the best of them, but the moment something doesn't go as planned, these instructions leave you hanging..  Sorry for the rant but this is so frustrating and it shouldn't be with properly provided troubleshooting steps.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Troubleshooting_Flowchart

What error(s) are you getting? 

there are no state files like the ones listed in the link you provided, and using the other troubleshooting link I can confirm my ISY is on the network.  I can get to the UDAX interface and also Telnet into it, it's ONLY the admin console giving me troubles.

In case I forget, thank you so much for attempting to help.

To be clear: I am 99.99999% sure this is a Java/Browser issue dealing with this ISY launcher file.  My machine(s) and the ISY have no issue, it's just that this java file isn't working and seems to be a glaring single point of failure that always fails for me.  This has happened in one form or fashion on roughly 4 machines of mine in the past several years and I always use the instructions in the forum. 

Is this really the only troubleshooting around the launcher file? This just astounds me, as it's the ONLY thing I've ever had trouble with with this whole process... Goes straight from "Can you log into Admin" to "In the admin..."

What happens if the answer to step 3 is No???

image.png.e074392f13fd23231144ee3ff93ba210.png

image.png

image.png

I am going to assume that "I can't get to the Admin Console" means you can't run the ISY Launcher from the icon on your desktop - if that's not the case, you can ignore.

After installing the latest version of Java, make sure you clear your Java Cache. This is covered in the Wiki, but some of it is outdated. Here is what I suggest:

1. Search for "javacpl" in the Windows Search bar, and the results should include the "Configure Java" app (the Java Control Panel). 

2. Run the "Configure Java" app as Administrator. 

3. Under "Temporary Internet Files," choose "Settings..." and then "Delete Files..."

4. Make sure "Installed Applications and Applets" is checked, and then click "Ok." As it deletes the cache files, the ISY Launcher icon should disappear from your desktop.

5. Run the IoX Launcher from the Web at https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp. It may start in Chrome, but it will most likely just download, then you need to open it from the Downloads menu (or the Downloads folder). Once you run it from the Web once, it should put a new icon for the IoX Launcher on your desktop.

6. In the IoX Launcher,  click (or double-click - it's a bit wonky) your Polisy in the list, and then select "Admin Console (LAN)."

Hope this helps!

Edited by Goose66
7 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

I am going to assume that "I can't get to the Admin Console" means you can't run the ISY Launcher from the icon on your desktop - if that's not the case, you can ignore.

After installing the latest version of Java, make sure you clear your Java Cache. This is covered in the Wiki, but some of it is outdated. Here is what I suggest:

1. Search for "javacpl" in the Windows Search bar, and the results should include the "Configure Java" app (the Java Control Panel). 

2. Run the "Configure Java" app as Administrator. 

3. Under "Temporary Internet Files," choose "Settings..." and then "Delete Files..."

4. Make sure "Installed Applications and Applets" is checked, and then click "Ok." As it deletes the cache files, the ISY Launcher icon should disappear from your desktop.

5. Run the IoX Launcher from the Web at https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp. It may start in Chrome, but it will most likely just download, then you need to open it from the Downloads menu (or the Downloads folder). Once you run it from the Web once, it should put a new icon for the IoX Launcher on your desktop.

6. In the IoX Launcher,  click (or double-click - it's a bit wonky) your Polisy in the list, and then select "Admin Console (LAN)."

Hope this helps!

Goose66, thanks for trying but this is been done several times (I did it again just in case with the same results).  The issue is that the Java stuff doesn't run as the instructions say they're going to.  It downloads just fine.  But when I run the start.jnlp it never creates the admin.jnlp.

when I force download the admin.jnlp using the workaround mentioned above (by downloading directly from the ISY using the ISY's direct IP in a URL) I'm able to get the file but when I attempt to launch the file nothing happens.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled (with reboots inbetween) Java several times today alone.   

Here are some additional steps to try:

Admin Console icon does not appear on the desktop

• Close all your browsers
  • Go to System Preferences | Java to get to Java Control Panel
  • Click on Delete Files and make sure you check Applications
  • Click on the Settings Button
  • Make sure Keep temporary files on my computer is checked
  • Copy the directory under Location
  • Open up Finder and delete the above directory under Location
  • Close Java Control Panel
  • Open a browser and retry the Admin Console (JNLP) URL

ISY Finder does not find ISY

• Open a terminal window
  • Type hostname on the command line and copy the results to the clipboard
  • Open /private/etc/hosts and make sure you have right below the first 127.0.0.1 listing:
  • 127.0.0.1 whatever-hostname-you-copied-in-step2

Admin Console Hangs

• If you have any of the following modules on your MAC (under System Preferences | Privacy/Security | Accessibility), you may experience Admin Console hang when editing text fields. This is especially the case when you try copy/paste:
    • BetterTouch App
    • Text Expander App
    • PopClip App
    • Moom Appp
  • Usually disabling these modules will fix the issue. For more information please checkout: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20116958/java-apps-freeze-mac-os-10-9

Java applications are blocked by your security settings

• Close all your browsers
  • Go to System Preferences | Java to get to Java Control Panel
  • Click on Delete Files and make sure you check Applications
  • Click on the Settings Button
  • Make sure Keep temporary files on my computer is checked
  • Click on the Security tab on the top
  • Click on Restore Security Prompts and then click on Restore All button on the ensuing dialog
  • Click on the Edit Site List
  • Click on the Add button
  • Enter https://isy.universal-devices.com followed by hitting the Return key on the keyboard. Accept the warning
  • Click on the OK button

Mac-java-block.png

Admin Console is very slow or hangs

• If the admin console is slow to respond, it is likely you need to increase the amount of memory allocated to the Java runtime (JRE).
  • Open the Java Control Panel, select Java tab, press View button, then add or modify the Runtime Parameter -Xmx to the following:
    • -Xmx512m
  • Press Ok to close the window, then Press Apply to save the changes

admin.jnlp does not start the Admin Console

• If Java is indeed installed, the reason is that .jnlp file association is broken (it has to point to javaws.exe). Search for javaws.exe in the computer. Right mouse click and select "Open with" and point to "javaws.exe" to fix the .jnlp file association.

I know it's painful, but if you want to get to the bottom of the problem, you need to go thru these steps.

I'm IN!  So while it does show that jnlp files are associated with Java web launcher, if I choose "Open With" and manually choose the Java Web Launcher when launching admin.jnlp it works!  Can we please come up with a better way to get to this stuff than this Java thing!  It's so inelegant...  I'm going to upgrade to latest firmware of the ISY but I'm going to have to seriously ponder upgrading to the Polisy device if this continues to be the only way to get into it...

Thanks again to for all who attempted to help!

2 hours ago, shane4581 said:

I'm IN!  So while it does show that jnlp files are associated with Java web launcher, if I choose "Open With" and manually choose the Java Web Launcher when launching admin.jnlp it works!  Can we please come up with a better way to get to this stuff than this Java thing!  It's so inelegant...  I'm going to upgrade to latest firmware of the ISY but I'm going to have to seriously ponder upgrading to the Polisy device if this continues to be the only way to get into it...

Thanks again to for all who attempted to help!

I totally agree with how fickle and buggy the Java console is and I do not like it at all.  The one good thing I can say is that for many tasks you can now use the phone app.  You can't write programs, but many of the other admin console tasks can be done from the phone.

4 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

You can't write programs, but many of the other admin console tasks can be done from the phone.

UD Mobile supports basic program write|read. Some conditions and actions are still on our list.

Supported conditions (IF) Schedule|Control|Status|Parentheses|Comment, and actions (Then|Else) Command|Wait|Comment.  Other functions include reordering conditions/actions, moving to folder, and Program create|delete. Triggering Programs from programs, Network Resources, and any condition|action with state|integer Variables is not yet supported.

In addition to supporting programs the app can show all programs linked to a node from the Node's dashboard, from top bar setting button.  And will show all schedules, any program with a date/time condition, in "My Schedules".