Support thread: IoX 5.6.0 Release

Hello ISY4Me,

This has been an on going issue for me for sure. I did figure out why I couldn’t get the nodes to add using the AC. First of all the nodes are only added to ISY when the relays are included with s2 security. My relays were migrated from a back up so they were not included with s2 security and doing an update with interview will never add the nodes to the ISY. When I tried to add them or reincluded them with the AC and s2 security I failed to enter the pin properly because it had a window with up/down flags/buttons to increase or decrease the value in the window and that confused me somehow, I did not realize I needed to enter the 5 digit pin listed on the back of the relay so I pressed the button up once to”1” and pressed continue.  Very humbling oversight on my part brought to light by the fact that when adding the relay with the QR code it enters this pin for you automatically and accurately.

Now when adding the ZEN17 relay w/ firmware v1.2 or higher, setting the parameters 2/3 to 11, excluding and re including it, entering the pin properly and then verifying the authorization screen all nodes are added and working as expected

Josef

1 hour ago, joembz said:

Hello ISY4Me,

This has been an on going issue for me for sure. I did figure out why I couldn’t get the nodes to add using the AC. First of all the nodes are only added to ISY when the relays are included with s2 security. My relays were migrated from a back up so they were not included with s2 security and doing an update with interview will never add the nodes to the ISY. When I tried to add them or reincluded them with the AC and s2 security I failed to enter the pin properly because it had a window with up/down flags/buttons to increase or decrease the value in the window and that confused me somehow, I did not realize I needed to enter the 5 digit pin listed on the back of the relay so I pressed the button up once to”1” and pressed continue.  Very humbling oversight on my part brought to light by the fact that when adding the relay with the QR code it enters this pin for you automatically and accurately.

Now when adding the ZEN17 relay w/ firmware v1.2 or higher, setting the parameters 2/3 to 11, excluding and re including it, entering the pin properly and then verifying the authorization screen all nodes are added and working as expected

Josef

@joembz Thank you for the inputs… I guess at this point, I am simply happy that the UD Mobile SmartAdd method worked with adding the ZEN17 to the EISY with ZMatter.  I had tried with and without s2 security on the EISY and some of the basic nodes appeared, but I struggled with not being able to get the binary sensor to show with Parameter 2/3 setting 10.

The odd thing in all of history in using the ZEN17 with Polisy and Zooz USB, I never had any issues with nodes installing (including the binary sensor) and there was no security mode inclusion on the Polisy.  I tried numerous migrations from Polisy to EISY on every EISY firmware up to and including 5.6.0 and only rarely saw the binary sensor node show, but it would disappear after sync with interview.  Attempts to include with security on the EISY with ZMatter worked, but the sensor nodes still did not load as expected.

My EISY has been on the shelf waiting for some new insight.  @Chris Jahnindicated he would continue to examine the issues I had with including the ZEN17 using the AC, but there was no timeline.  Using the UD Mobile SmartAdd was the first positive result since my first migration and for that I am thankful.  It was your post that encouraged me to try it, so thanks for documenting your work. 

Hello ISY4Me,

I’m using the ZEN17 with my polisy and delayed Zwave migration because the relay wouldn’t add the binary sensor nodes that I needed to monitor Garage doors. So I used it with the ZMatter board installed but no migration/no security. Recently, after 5.6.0 update I decided to migrate to Zwave again and try it but still had issues getting the binary nodes added. I found through posts and Chris Jahn that other people had no problem adding it with working nodes. This is what lead me to push through this and get it working

I’m glad that my effort to make it work helped 

Josef

@joembz and @ISY4Me, I just migrated from 994i to IoP 5.6.0 - starting the process that it is late 2 days ago. One of the issues I'm seeing is that, although all my ZEN17 nodes were there on 994i, I lost both sensors and can't seem to get them back using methods other than excluding and reincluding them at this point. I'm saving that as the last resort. Aside from the pain of firing up a laptop to bring my AC close to each device it will break multiple programs that will need to be fixed afterwards. 

So far UD support suggested power cycling the ZEN17 (after checking that the parameters were ok - they were) but that didn't fix the problem. I've done lots of "Update with Interview", "Update Neighbors", and "Heal Network", as well as querying other device nodes in case that would help but no joy.

UD Smart add would certainly make getting close the three ZEN17s I have in use however my portal license didn't move over to IoP despite my following the instructions, so I can't use UD mobile until that gets fixed.

I presume UD smart add implies exclude/include process but please correct me if it can do some magic without that. I haven't used UD Mobile for anything but the occasional viewing of some device states, and in an attempt to set up an eisy, which didn't work at all (probably because I have my untrusted IoT devices - where UD mobile runs - are on a separate VLAN/subnet as my HA (ISY) stuff, with both separate from my trusted devices)

FWIW, my parameters 2/3 are 10 (dry contact), and params 10/11 are at 0 to decouple sensors and relays.

More to come on this.

Edited by johnnyt
4 hours ago, johnnyt said:

@joembz and @ISY4Me, I just migrated from 994i to IoP 5.6.0 - starting the process that it is late 2 days ago. One of the issues I'm seeing is that, although all my ZEN17 nodes were there on 994i, I lost both sensors and can't seem to get them back using methods other than excluding and reincluding them at this point. I'm saving that as the last resort. Aside from the pain of firing up a laptop to bring my AC close to each device it will break multiple programs that will need to be fixed afterwards. 

So far UD support suggested power cycling the ZEN17 (after checking that the parameters were ok - they were) but that didn't fix the problem. I've done lots of "Update with Interview", "Update Neighbors", and "Heal Network", as well as querying other device nodes in case that would help but no joy.

UD Smart add would certainly make getting close the three ZEN17s I have in use however my portal license didn't move over to IoP despite my following the instructions, so I can't use UD mobile until that gets fixed.

I presume UD smart add implies exclude/include process but please correct me if it can do some magic without that. I haven't used UD Mobile for anything but the occasional viewing of some device states, and in an attempt to set up an eisy, which didn't work at all (probably because I have my untrusted IoT devices - where UD mobile runs - are on a separate VLAN/subnet as my HA (ISY) stuff, with both separate from my trusted devices)

FWIW, my parameters 2/3 are 10 (dry contact), and params 10/11 are at 0 to decouple sensors and relays.

More to come on this.

Johnnyt,

I believe the Zen17’s have to be included with S2 security and device pin to get the nodes to work properly, update with interview after a power cycle will not add the nodes if they were not included with s2. They would have to be excluded and reincluded with s2 after the parameters are set properly.

The Zen17 relays also need to be v1.2 firmware or higher for nodes to add

I feel your pain, I excluded / included the relay so many times I went from ZY 035 to ZY065 so after I was able to get the relays to add reliably and consistently I removed all zwave devices from my ISY and reset the ZMatter board to restart the device numbering to ZW 02 and then re added all of my Zwave devices. Very obsessive compulsive I know but the high numbers bothered me and I wanted all my z wave devices added with S2 if they were compatible

Josef

5 hours ago, johnnyt said:

@johnnyt I had a similar constraint when I went to try the UD Mobile SmartAdd, as I had let my trial portal license expire after shelving my efforts. 

However, all I did was disable the Portal connection in UD Mobile Settings for the EISY… you can always re-enable later when your license is squared away.  After disabling the Portal Connection, then go down and enable Use Local Connection Only (and test it to assure it is setup OK).  After that you can use UD Mobile to try the SmartAdd. 

26 minutes ago, joembz said:

Johnnyt,

I believe the Zen17’s have to be included with S2 security and device pin to get the nodes to work properly, update with interview after a power cycle will not add the nodes if they were not included with s2. They would have to be excluded and reincluded with s2 after the parameters are set properly.

The Zen17 relays also need to be v1.2 firmware or higher for nodes to add

I feel your pain, I excluded / included the relay so many times I went from ZY 035 to ZY065 so after I was able to get the relays to add reliably and consistently I removed all zwave devices from my ISY and reset the ZMatter board to restart the device numbering to ZW 02 and then re added all of my Zwave devices. Very obsessive compulsive I know but the high numbers bothered me and I wanted all my z wave devices added with S2 if they were compatible

Josef

Interesting. I just used the default inclusion on 994i. I think it was S0. I didn't/don't really feel I personally need high security, and question why it should it be needed. It usually adds processing overhead as the trade off and, other than for maybe door locks, which I don't have, I don't see including things with high security as a requirement. None of my neighbors have or care about taking over my lights or HVAC, which is what I use the ZEN17s for. (If I'm missing something on this front, let me know.)

I know you're just saying what worked in the end but I'm just saying that it's an issue if the fix is what level of security I used when I included it...

I did upgrade firmware to 1.20 before adding to 994i so that's not the issue.

Edited by johnnyt
11 minutes ago, ISY4Me said:

@johnnyt I had a similar constraint when I went to try the UD Mobile SmartAdd, as I had let my trial portal license expire after shelving my efforts. 

However, all I did was disable the Portal connection in UD Mobile Settings for the EISY… you can always re-enable later when your license is squared away.  After disabling the Portal Connection, then go down and enable Use Local Connection Only (and test it to assure it is setup OK).  After that you can use UD Mobile to try the SmartAdd. 

good point. I wanted UD mobile to make things available remotely so never went there. Thanks.

Johnnyt,

I’m sure if you add it with UDMobile and the QR code it adds it with S2 Auth security and the device pin anyway. Mine are for garage door position and activation so the s2 security is fine with me, not sure if there’s any delay or lag in performance caused by S2 auth or additional packets needed for comms to device. But they are working well 

Josef

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a little help..

Recently I ran the update process via Admin Console and all worked well and it moved up to 5.6. Did another update (or maybe more than 1) and ended up with the latest PG3 version as well.

HOWEVER, when I recently ran IoX Launcher (MacOS Ventura), it gave me this weird error and deleted the desktop icon and now I cannot get it back. I have to use start.jnlp EVERY TIME in order to get into Admin Console (but start.jnlp DOES work every time).

Any idea what the issue is? I tried giving a number of Java applications full disk access in System Settings > Privacy > Full Disk access and that did not help.

I'm going to add a bit here as I tried some other stuff after writing this initially...f

I opened the Java Control Panel (I'm on macOS Ventura as a reminder) and deleted all the temporary files. I then clicked on the View button to view the cached files and went about manually deleting all the files there as well (in a drop-down menu, I saw Applications, Resources, and Deleted Applications; I cleared out all three).

I then also went into Advanced in the Java Control Panel and set it such that if an app wants to install shortcuts, it will always prompt me.

I then downloaded a new start.jnlp as per instructions. When I ran it, it did in fact ask me if I wanted to create shortcuts and I said yes, but they still are not on the desktop.

Is it possible the shortcut got put somewhere else with this latest version of Java?

And for what it's worth, I also just ran Update Packages and rebooted and that did not solve anything.

Also, I was able to find the IoX Launcher app inside my user directory > Library > Application Support > Oracle > Java > deployment > cache. I manually made an alias and copied it to the desktop and it works just fine but does not have the right icon.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 3.51.07 PM.png

Edited by Greg P.
21 minutes ago, Greg P. said:

Looking for a little help..

Recently I ran the update process via Admin Console and all worked well and it moved up to 5.6. Did another update (or maybe more than 1) and ended up with the latest PG3 version as well.

HOWEVER, when I recently ran IoX Launcher (MacOS Ventura), it gave me this weird error and deleted the desktop icon and now I cannot get it back. I have to use start.jnlp EVERY TIME in order to get into Admin Console (but start.jnlp DOES work every time).

Any idea what the issue is? I tried giving a number of Java applications full disk access in System Settings > Privacy > Full Disk access and that did not help.

Have you tried clearing Java cache ( checking all 3 boxes to delete) and downloading a new start.jnlp? Look here for instructions:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Installing_the_Admin_Console_Icon_on_Your_Desktop

If so, try some of these steps:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Help

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#admin.jnlp_does_not_start_the_Admin_Console

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Cannot_Communicate_with_ISY_Portal

6 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I DID try the clear cache business - did it both as the instructions listed as well as manually as I described above - none of it worked.

The link above that refers to "admin.jnlp does not start the Admin Console" contained instructions on what to do if the icon does not show up. I followed those instructions, but also did another Upgrade Packages and then restart eisy, and now it's all good - icon has re-appeared.

SO, I don't know if it was deleting the cache folder that fixed it or the latest eisy upgrade, but one way or the other, it's fixed and my icon is back.

THANK YOU! @DennisC

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Greg P. said:

I DID try the clear cache business - did it both as the instructions listed as well as manually as I described above - none of it worked.

The link above that refers to "admin.jnlp does not start the Admin Console" contained instructions on what to do if the icon does not show up. I followed those instructions, but also did another Upgrade Packages and then restart eisy, and now it's all good - icon has re-appeared.

SO, I don't know if it was deleting the cache folder that fixed it or the latest eisy upgrade, but one way or the other, it's fixed and my icon is back.

THANK YOU! @DennisC

This has happened to me a few times.  Easiest thing is make a new Alias. 

after you run the START it creates a JAVA app.  That JAVA app is cleared when you do a full cache and applet clean.

So run start again just to be sure its there.

Then in finder go to the GO menu and choose GO TO FOLDER

Type in this path name but replace *USER* with your user folder name.... (you can check user folder name by going to hard drive and open Users and you will see all the user folders in there.)

/Users/*USER*/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/cache/6.0/bundles/

Hit return and you should see a window like in the picture

Click on the ISY Launcher and under the FILE menu choose make alias.

Move that Alias to your desktop or whereever you want it.

It now should work for you fine.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 5.08.26 PM.png

15 hours ago, Greg P. said:

THANK YOU! @DennisC

Glad it worked for you.

On 4/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, JTsao said:

I performed the update on my Polisy from 5.5.9 to 5.6.0 - this also updated the Polisy to PG3x 3.1.25 and now all my node servers are disconnected - rebooting, power cycling and restarting PG3x do not fix this - is this because the Polisy has now crossed over to PG3x?  vs PG3?  - do I need to re-install all node servers or what?

JTsao, did you ever find a solution?  I recently upgraded to 5.6.0 (and PG3 version 3.1.20) and PG3 was disconnected from the ISY...PG3 could not find the ISY.  I individually rebooted (software reboot) IoX and PG3, with no benefit.  I power cycled the whole unit (Polisy, in my case) and this fixed it, only to have the problem return a couple of days later.  I don't know if this is going to be a recurring theme or not.

In my case, it was changing from PG3/v3.1.20 to PG3X/v3.1.25 that caused the issue - in this case some files or folders had incorrect ownership - I ended up opening a ticket and UDI remoted in to my PC to correct - I think there is a fix for this now in v3.1.26 but in your case, you are only at v3.1.20 - I don’t recall that update being a problem - you may have to open a ticket

Edited by JTsao
  • Like 1

Does IoX 5.6 support the Insteon i3 Paddle dimmer mode? The previous versions did not allow the Paddle to operate in dimmer mode only on/off. Therefore, I moved mine over to my Home Assistant Insteon PLM network where it does run in dimmer mode.

6 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I don't believer that information is correct

The dial works, but the paddle does not. 

I have one and can confirm 5.6 does not support dimming. I even removed it, factory reset it, configure it as a dimmer and re-added it to ISY, and it only shows as a switch with no dimming capability. 

1 hour ago, stevesreed said:

The dial works, but the paddle does not. 

I have one and can confirm 5.6 does not support dimming. I even removed it, factory reset it, configure it as a dimmer and re-added it to ISY, and it only shows as a switch with no dimming capability. 

Did you report this to UD with a help ticket? They may not know about it otherwise.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Did you report this to UD with a help ticket? They may not know about it otherwise.

UDI has indicated a  while back that they are working on the i3 Paddle but consider it a minor issue. I don't agree that not be able to operate a dimmer in dimmer mode is minor but.....  which is why I'm using it with Home Assistant instead.

3 minutes ago, vbPhil said:

UDI has indicated a  while back that they are working on the i3 Paddle but consider it a minor issue. I don't agree that not be able to operate a dimmer in dimmer mode is minor but.....  which is why I'm using it with Home Assistant instead.

Except most users are reporting that it works as expected in 5.6.0 see the @Bumbershoot post i liked above.

31 minutes ago, DennisC said:

in this case that would be particularly important since others report that it works as expected.

1 minute ago, stevesreed said:

I did not open a ticket, since they never listed it as working yet. 

As a software engineer, I hate getting bugs reports about planned features not working when that have not been released yet.

Have you read any of the other posts above? or that i linked?  You're in the minority, UD thinks it "works as expected" because that's what has been reported.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Have you read any of the other posts above? or that i linked?  You're in the minority, UD thinks it "works as expected" because that's what has been reported.

The thread you linked from @bumbershoot is talking about the i3 Dial working as expected.

I have not seen any posts about the i3 Paddle working, nor has it been listed as working in any release notes.