Home Router Replacement

KSchex

11 hours ago, upstatemike said:

...cannot handle enough simultaneous connections.

My old Netgear handles 75 without any problems. However my memory short ASUS started crapping out at 51 and would never disclose it, leaving me rebooting it and guessing for about 3 years.

Number of connections and multiple bands, antennas, or APs are not related to connection capability count. There are central data banks that can limit the number of connections. DHCP is one of the big ones and there can only be one on a LAN without a lot of special switching.

Band switching is a very bad feature for most WiFi devices. Just because your router decides it would be better to alleviate crowding they just kick your WiFi device of the band and let it try again on a different band.

Mesh creates worse problems with multiple routers on the same channels with the same SSID and the same securities.

Edited by larryllix

Band Steering is not really an issue with modern client devices like phones, laptops etc. Older devices may be an issue.

However, it is recommended making a separate iot SSID for 2.4Ghz only (many routers actually have by default separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID). As a general rule, ALL smart home devices that use WiFi are using 2.4Ghz - this is because of the increase range making them more reliable, and not requiring customers to require more complex WiFi with multiple APs around the home. Some devices are challenging to place on different SSID in the way they are setup eg. by a phone app...LiFX is an example, also most HomeKit. I also don't worry/care about VLANs as much at home anymore.

4 hours ago, brians said:

Band Steering is not really an issue with modern client devices like phones, laptops etc. Older devices may be an issue.

However, it is recommended making a separate iot SSID for 2.4Ghz only (many routers actually have by default separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID). As a general rule, ALL smart home devices that use WiFi are using 2.4Ghz - this is because of the increase range making them more reliable, and not requiring customers to require more complex WiFi with multiple APs around the home. Some devices are challenging to place on different SSID in the way they are setup eg. by a phone app...LiFX is an example, also most HomeKit. I also don't worry/care about VLANs as much at home anymore.

Sure, most home automation devices use only 2.4GHz and that is what causes some of the band switching problems when routers try to force them onto  5GHz band and they disappear on the LAN  and refuse to reconnect automatically. For a router to do band switching with devices all bands involved must be the same SSID name and password. Devices cannot connect to a new SSID without having security installed or using the same security credentials.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant go wrong with Ubiquiti. The Dream Machine line is latest tech. 

Personally, Ive been running their Edgerouter 12 for the past 5 years with Unifi software.  I have 3 of their WIFI U6 access points in my 3000 sq ft ranch.  Great coverage everywhere. Multiple 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ devices (TVs, robot vacs/ mops, phones, laptops, tablets, irrigation, water usage, etc) all over the house.

Edited by TheA2Z
  • Like 1

What do folks do for redundancy and disaster recovery? For example I was thinking about 2 24port switches instead of a single 48 port one to distribute risk. Also wondering if a spare Dream Machine is needed? Even with advance shipping, waiting for a replacement to arive could be a serious problem and without the Dream Machine everything is dead unless there is a way to use Ubiquity APs with whatever spare router you have on hand?

On 7/3/2023 at 3:48 PM, upstatemike said:

What do folks do for redundancy and disaster recovery? 

That's the problem with deploying expensive and low availability kit.   If you are single string, you will need to have spares on hand.  

I tend to stick with less expensive and widely available kit, and not get myself locked in/dependent upon any one manufacturer. 

1. Automatic 3-2-1 backups. (3xTrueNAS, Google Drive)
  2. All kit on UPS(s) >30 min run time.
  3. UPSed multiple PoE APs.
  4. Kit with spinning rust drives shutdown after 5 min.
  5. Whole home surge protector.
  6. Adequate cooling to extend MTBF.
  7. Old pfSense appliance and switch cold spares.
  8. Amazon Prime same day delivery for anything else.  
Edited by elvisimprsntr
1 hour ago, upstatemike said:

What do folks do for redundancy and disaster recovery? For example I was thinking about 2 24port switches instead of a single 48 port one to distribute risk. Also wondering if a spare Dream Machine is needed? Even with advance shipping, waiting for a replacement to arive could be a serious problem and without the Dream Machine everything is dead unless there is a way to use Ubiquity APs with whatever spare router you have on hand?

How would you switch devices between switches?

How about two WiFi routers with cloned setups and both on Insteon On/Off modules, allowing ISY to switch them over? The hardwired Ethernet devices would require some manual switching.

1 hour ago, upstatemike said:

You can design your system with redundancy in mind in addition to being able to backup/restore.

Ubiquiti access points can be used without a dream machine. You'll lose features but they can be used.

My experience with the dream machine has been phenomenal in regards to longevity so having a backup unit isn't worthwhile. While anything can happen, It's not worth it (to me) to spend hundreds on a backup unit that will probably never be used and if it is- they'll probably have a newer unit out that I'd rather upgrade to by that time. 

It would be cheaper for me to buy a new unit and overnight it than it is to have one sit unused for years (if ever).

4 hours ago, upstatemike said:

Since I run my company out of my house and cant have long downtime, I eliminated the single points of failure as much as possible:

1. Bought a second Ubiquiti Edgerouter 12 with router config already restored so I just need to swap out.
  2. Dual WAN (internet) inputs to Edgerouter.  One Xfinity and One Tmobile 5G router setup with auto failover if I lose the main Xfinity connection in the router.
  3. UPS on server rack
  4. 2 servers running Proxmox VMs
  5. Proxmox virtual servers for Windows File server/ AD
  6. Unifi as a virtual machine on Proxmox
  7. Proxmox backups of VMs
  8. Real time backup of all important files to AWS cloud.

Power to house is pretty stable in Atlanta area.  Dont have a Generac.  But I do have a 10KW portable generator that I can plug into house though manual interlock to run the whole house on.  Its enough as Water, heat, cooking and dryer is all gas.  Runs on gas but bought a nat gas conversion kit I need to install.

As for the Eisy, no redundancy needed there.  I can hit the light switch until that gets fixed  😉

Edited by TheA2Z
11 hours ago, upstatemike said:

Is the Dream Machine likely to be discounted for Prime Day? How about UniFi APs?

Dont know about Prime.  Anything possible.  I usually pop over to google and use their Shopping feature when buying to see price ranges.  Go to Ubiquiti website and check out their different models of Dream Machine and pick the one best for you.

Then use Google shopping to see best total price.  Sometimes you can catch a store discounting.  Pay attention if it is a refurb or not though.

• 2 weeks later...