Zigbee motion sensors?

pkauf
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

Just got my Zmatter board turned on for Zigbee and am trying to add a simple motion sensor device.  When it does the interview it comes back with 2 nodes, on unknown, and the other a switch.  I've had similar problems with Zwave, and normally an additional interview fixes it.  I tried that with this, and it still shows up with invalid devices.  Do I just have an unsupported device?  Is there a list of devices that should work?  Totally new to Zigbee and I'm just trying to test the waters . . .  Any help would be appreciated.

• Solution
48 minutes ago, pkauf said:

Just got my Zmatter board turned on for Zigbee and am trying to add a simple motion sensor device.  When it does the interview it comes back with 2 nodes, on unknown, and the other a switch.  I've had similar problems with Zwave, and normally an additional interview fixes it.  I tried that with this, and it still shows up with invalid devices.  Do I just have an unsupported device?  Is there a list of devices that should work?  Totally new to Zigbee and I'm just trying to test the waters . . .  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you updated your system to the latest firmware. According to the firmware update release notes, motion sensors are not supported yet

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Geddy said:

@pkauf

As @lilyoyo1 pointed out these devices aren’t supported yet. The release post is found here:

What you need to focus one is:

For "on/off" lamp and dimmer - does this mean virtually any brand or is there an actual list of brands/devices that are supported?

4 hours ago, pkauf said:

For "on/off" lamp and dimmer - does this mean virtually any brand or is there an actual list of brands/devices that are supported?

Not sure. I don't have any Zigbee devices so haven't done any testing yet. As @xlurkr points out he knows of one that doesn't work. 

If you've got some try them out. If they don't work open a support ticket letting UDI know what brand/model/function doesn't work. Maybe they've got to fine-tune/target specific brands.

As with Z-Wave it appears that Zigbee, while a standard, allows each manufacturer to handle things differently. It's got to be a crap shoot for UDI to figure out what does or doesn't work. This is where the user base trying what they've got and letting them know first hand really helps UDI and the rest of the userbase. 

17 hours ago, xlurkr said:

I know one that doesn't work: GE/Jasco 45852.  I'd report this in a thread for non-working Zigbee devices, but I don't think there is one.  If I cared enough about making it work, I'd log a ticket.

-Tom

No, but there is a thread for Zigbee Device support requests...

Basic zigbee switches might work, but there will be many devices that must be "supported" before they work.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep, after the new support came out in 5.6.4 I installed the same motion sensor.  Works great.  Only issue is it only supports status, not "control on/control off" so you have to do a little programming to get the status on/off to work for controlling lights properly.  But yes, its cheap and now works great.

That might convince me to go to Zigbee MSes next. I am tired of Insteon being a remote control only supplier and Insteon MSes are all RF anyway. The MS IIs have logical bugs in them and I need more. The dozen MS Is would become totally redundant for me then.

Trouble is, I have two PolISYs and I don't see the Z-Matter internal board available any more on UDI. Is it still available yet?

8 minutes ago, larryllix said:

That might convince me to go to Zigbee MSes next. I am tired of Insteon being a remote control only supplier and Insteon MSes are all RF anyway. The MS IIs have logical bugs in them and I need more. The dozen MS Is would become totally redundant for me then.

Trouble is, I have two PolISYs and I don't see the Z-Matter internal board available any more on UDI. Is it still available yet?

I think the external usb works on the polisy, would that be an option?

23 minutes ago, pkauf said:

I think the external usb works on the polisy, would that be an option?

I saw that USB one and considered it, but price and physically sticking out the back was a deterrent, so far.  I guess I could short USB flex cable it up and away from the concrete box (bhind the drywall)  it is in, in an apartment. The internal polISY board was so compact.

Another negative is, they went back to those expensive and extremely short lived AAA cells. For the size difference I don't now why any company would support that size, when they have about 1/4 or less the capacity of a much cheaper AA cell. My stock of AAA cells has been declining with my divorcing all the X10 MSs and other gadgets not using them much anymore.

hmmmm... maybe I'll wait until I come across some ZigBee things that handle microUSB-C adapters. I have a bad taste in my mouth from replacing 30-50 batteries per year for X10 and Insteon HA devices over the past several decades. My current 3 MS IIs are on adapter power now. I like it much better than buying batteries in bulk. Right now I only have one Insteon door detector that eats a AA cell each week or two. I couldn't get a cord to it easily, anyway.

Any indication of how long a pair of AAAs would last in these ZigBee MSes?

41 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I saw that USB one and considered it, but price and physically sticking out the back was a deterrent, so far.  I guess I could short USB flex cable it up and away from the concrete box (bhind the drywall)  it is in, in an apartment. The internal polISY board was so compact.

Another negative is, they went back to those expensive and extremely short lived AAA cells. For the size difference I don't now why any company would support that size, when they have about 1/4 or less the capacity of a much cheaper AA cell. My stock of AAA cells has been declining with my divorcing all the X10 MSs and other gadgets not using them much anymore.

hmmmm... maybe I'll wait until I come across some ZigBee things that handle microUSB-C adapters. I have a bad taste in my mouth from replacing 30-50 batteries per year for X10 and Insteon HA devices over the past several decades. My current 3 MS IIs are on adapter power now. I like it much better than buying batteries in bulk. Right now I only have one Insteon door detector that eats a AA cell each week or two. I couldn't get a cord to it easily, anyway.

@larryllixAd says 2 years under normal usage. 

A two year battery change isnt a problem for me on a few motions.  I do have some Zooz zwave motions that are plug in but cost more.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I'd open up a ticket and ask Michel.  I do know you can buy the USB enclosure to convert the board to an external version.  So , barring the cost, I'm wondering if you could buy the USB version and pull the card and install it to avoid it sticking out.  They also might have stock to sell if you ask via a ticket.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, larryllix said:

No, just started using it.  Using in a front bathroom to kick on the lights.