EISY with Zigbee/zmatter add on and Hue Lights

gschoffstall
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

Is there an easy way to integrate Hue LED lights without the need for a Hue Hub yet? If not, what's the hard way, or the work around? If I have to use a Hue Hub, how does that connect to an EISY system. I'm kind of new at this and don't want to take a wrong turn before I even start. Thanks for any help you can offer.

• Solution
2 hours ago, gschoffstall said:

Is there an easy way to integrate Hue LED lights without the need for a Hue Hub yet? If not, what's the hard way, or the work around? If I have to use a Hue Hub, how does that connect to an EISY system. I'm kind of new at this and don't want to take a wrong turn before I even start. Thanks for any help you can offer.

You need to use the hue nodeserver or network resources to connect your eisy to your hue hub 

You need to use the hue nodeserver or network resources to connect your eisy to your hue hub

I'm new, so humor me. I bought into the EISY program because they used the magic word "Zigbee" and wrongly assumed compatibility with Zigbee based Philips Hue systems. Silly me. I even jumped on the Zigbee/Zmatter add-on for that reason. Assuming I bought some Hue bulbs and a hub, and IF I were to try integrating my EISY system with them, please explain nodeserver or network resources in terms of how to connect and/or program it that my tiny mind can fathom. Is there a "how to" somewhere that I can digest to get me on my way?

13 hours ago, gschoffstall said:

Zigbee based Philips Hue systems

I was with you (when first starting) with some uncertainty as to why Hue says they're "Zigbee", but didn't really work right. They might be working somewhat with direct connections to the Zigbee signal on the ZMatter card, but I haven't tried because I do have the Hue Bridge and use the Hue Node server to control the lights. "Back in the day" Hue used what I generally refer to as "proprietary" zigbee signal, but was a "Zigbee Light Link (ZLL)". This standard wasn't an open Zigbee signal and therefore their Zigbee lights required the Hue hub to become smart. This might have changed over time, but again I haven't altered my setup to try direct connection to my eisy+ZMatter. 

You can learn more about the Hue Node Server from the readme file for the node server found here - https://github.com/exking/udi-hue-pg3/blob/master/README.md

You'll need to read through the UDI Wiki (the @Whitehambone linked above) to learn how to access Polyglot 3x (PG3x) on your eisy. Once in there and linked with a UDI Portal account you can install the Hue Node Server and then configure it based upon the information in the readme file.

If you follow the simple steps of setup the hub should be found in the node server and then send your bulbs to the Admin Console (make sure you have admin console closed when you add the node server and set it up so when admin console launches the new Hue nodes will be read and added correctly).

Some have experienced issues setting up this node server, but since you have not attempted setup previously it should be fairly easy. Just install, then when it starts press the button on the hub and the node server should automatically link.

If you need more help start a new post in the Hue Node Server area with your issues and/or questions.

Once you have the node server installed and bridge linked the lights will be items in the admin console just like any other Insteon or Z-Wave device you might have. They can be controlled with any programming you can think of.

I will try to digest all the information with this caviat: I have very little troubleshooting experience and no programming experience in the base languages they use. I mostly can get the ISY or EISY to communicate with the modules and controllers. But once the system is running, and I mean for years untouched, it's like learning code again. For me, and forgive me, it's like trying to translate pidgeon English to something I can work with. I can navigate the if, then, else framework when everything is working, but getting it working is a real challenge.

2 hours ago, gschoffstall said:

Just took a peek at the link. What's a Polyglot? Code, hardware, something inside an EISY? See my point? I have to start somewhere to form a foundation. Thanks for coddling me.

Polyglot is software that allows node servers to run. You can access it from the eisy IP address and the 3000 port number like this: xxx.xxx.x.xxx:3000

Login should be the same as your eisy.

Gentlemen, I'm really eager to learn so I don't have to bug you guys. Here's the issue- I've been an electronic tech for 28 years, a hydraulic field service tech for another 18. I've dealt with A&B PLC's and a lot of different devices. But the ISY and EISY are all different. It's like there's this box of unknowns that runs other unknowns using various software and firmware structures that may or may not want to work with each other. I can learn code and structure, but I have to know what code and how the structure is put together. I can load programs if I know where to load them and the syntax. I'll have to look at a lot of the video files and help instructions before I can even navigate the technical jargon that is being spoken. I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt, but most of what is coming at me is at a much higher level than I can digest without the foundation that you guys already have. Thanks for all your good intentions.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:41 PM, gschoffstall said:

I'm new, so humor me. I bought into the EISY program because they used the magic word "Zigbee" and wrongly assumed compatibility with Zigbee based Philips Hue systems. Silly me. I even jumped on the Zigbee/Zmatter add-on for that reason. Assuming I bought some Hue bulbs and a hub, and IF I were to try integrating my EISY system with them, please explain nodeserver or network resources in terms of how to connect and/or program it that my tiny mind can fathom. Is there a "how to" somewhere that I can digest to get me on my way?

You can't assume anything when it comes to automation devices since companies are able to fork codes to use it how they desire. Sticking with zigbee for example; Directv peanut remotes uses zigbee but you can't add it to other zigbee based systems. Ditto for Control 4.

Hue used to be a lot worse than they are now but still isnt easy to work with for direct integration. The best path is to ask if something is compatible prior to investing (or purchase 1 for testing).

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 1

Yes, I am figuring that out now, but it's too late. I already upgraded to EISY from my ISY994Ir because then I could use their optional additional Zigbee/Zmatter dongle to control Zigbee smart lights. Only after trying to figure out the "how to's" did I uncover the truth of compatibility... or lack thereof. I would like to make something of my investment, but it looks like the dongle will never do what the implications of advertisement alluded to. I still want to control Philips Hue lights, and if I have to do it through a Hue Hub, then so be it. But that still means an adventure with very little knowledge- EISY-wise, Zigbee-wise, programming-wise, etc. I need the "How to integrate Philips Hue to EISY for Dummies" manual. Pointed suggestions are mildly helpful, but I really need to know what I need to know to get started. I don't have Java or Python programming experience, and don't know if it's necessary. I don't know how to configure a node server, as has been suggested. Sooo, there I am. Guess I jumped in the deep end without a life jacket. But thanks for trying to help.

@gschoffstall,

1. You can return the ZMatter USB dongle within 30 days, so you are not stuck with it.

2. You can install plugins/node servers (Hue) and they show up as nodes just like INSTEON devices. Here are the instructions: 

- Go to PG3 Dashboard (Admin Console | Node Servers | PG3 Dashboard)

- Follow the instructions here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#NodeServer_Store_Menu. In short, go to the store, find the Hue plugin, click on the Install button, and the follow the instructions on the screen to link it to your Hue Hub.

I am assuming that you already know how 994 programming works. But, in case you don't and want to start from scratch, you need to start from our Wiki. Or you can read the Cookbook

We would be delighted to answer specific questions via Tickets, alas we do not have the resources for soup-to-nuts education. Apologies.

With kind regards,

Michel

8 hours ago, gschoffstall said:

Gentlemen, I'm really eager to learn so I don't have to bug you guys. Here's the issue- I've been an electronic tech for 28 years, a hydraulic field service tech for another 18. I've dealt with A&B PLC's and a lot of different devices. But the ISY and EISY are all different. It's like there's this box of unknowns that runs other unknowns using various software and firmware structures that may or may not want to work with each other. I can learn code and structure, but I have to know what code and how the structure is put together. I can load programs if I know where to load them and the syntax. I'll have to look at a lot of the video files and help instructions before I can even navigate the technical jargon that is being spoken. I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt, but most of what is coming at me is at a much higher level than I can digest without the foundation that you guys already have. Thanks for all your good intentions.

@gschoffstall, don't give up so easy with a background like that, this should be easy for you once you get use to it.  Do you have the eisy on your network and access to the Admin Console?  Have you logged into Ployglot (PG3)?  You really don't need experience programing in the language that is use by Hue, someone already did that work for us.  You just install the Nodeserver and there may be some minor, usually well documented, configuration.  All the complicated things are already done for us. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, gschoffstall said:

Yes, I am figuring that out now, but it's too late. I already upgraded to EISY from my ISY994Ir because then I could use their optional additional Zigbee/Zmatter dongle to control Zigbee smart lights. Only after trying to figure out the "how to's" did I uncover the truth of compatibility... or lack thereof. I would like to make something of my investment, but it looks like the dongle will never do what the implications of advertisement alluded to. I still want to control Philips Hue lights, and if I have to do it through a Hue Hub, then so be it. But that still means an adventure with very little knowledge- EISY-wise, Zigbee-wise, programming-wise, etc. I need the "How to integrate Philips Hue to EISY for Dummies" manual. Pointed suggestions are mildly helpful, but I really need to know what I need to know to get started. I don't have Java or Python programming experience, and don't know if it's necessary. I don't know how to configure a node server, as has been suggested. Sooo, there I am. Guess I jumped in the deep end without a life jacket. But thanks for trying to help.

Hue isn't the only game in town when it comes to zigbee based bulbs. You also do not need the nodeserver to control them as network resources work with them as well (I use network resources with mine). You just won't have 2 way communication.

If you're like me and don't use the app, it's not a problem anyway. Google isy hue for dummies and you'll find an easy to follow write up.

Whether it's the isy or eisy, it takes time and patience to learn. It's a great system. You just have to be willing to put in the work to experiment. It would be like that for any of these systems. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#NodeServer_Store_Menu. In short, go to the store, find the Hue plugin, click on the Install button, and the follow the instructions on the screen to link it to your Hue Hub.

Michel, I click the link, get to the PG3 page, attempt to log in. Poof it hates me. How do I log in? Do I create a new account? It doesn't like my UD user or forum name. Thanks.