Spoken Name Not Updating / Registering by Echo

KHouse
Go to solution Solved by KHouse,

I'm having two issues with my Alexa/Echo spoken names / finding of devices..  One of which is pretty much recurring so figured I'd ask to try and find a solution.

#1 - The recurring issue:  Whenever I add a device (with name in the NOTE on admin console, or name in the SPOKEN field in the online portal), the Echo's never find the new device.  I can see them and control them in admin console / UD Mobile app, but Alexa cannot find them.  However, it does EVENTUALLY, on it's own, find them.  After I add the device, I try to poll for it by voice (Alexa, find new devices).  I also try to poll for it through the Amazon Alexa app by click on find new devices.  It never finds the devices.  Then randomly a few days or weeks later, they are there.

Does this happen to anyone else?  Is there a solution to be able to add a new device with spoken name, and have the Alexa's pick it up / find it right away?  I must be doing something wrong.

#2 - I have a closet light in a spare bedroom that we used to use for the dogs.  Now for me son. 

Now that this is the boy's room, I changed the spoken name from "Dog's Room Closet Light" to "John's Room Closet Light".  It was changed in the admin consol on desktop, and also shows correct in the online portal.

However, both names work to control the light.  I can say "Alexa, turn on the dogs room closet light" or I can say "Alexa, turn on John's room closet light".  Both spoken terms work.  Why/how is that?  Shouldn't the old name that was removed not work anymore?  Wondering where it is that it is still getting picked up and working.

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

Running eISY + UD Mobile + Insteon Devices

Edited by KHouse

#2. Both names have three out of four words the same. I don't think the Alexa parser can arbitrate those properly 100% of the time.

Although I always like to end with the device type eg: "Lamp" I would try shortening the vocal identifiers like maybe....
John's closet
Dog's closet

When you are done, find the device list in IIRC ISY portal and delete names that are redundant. There was never a clean-up phase and clutter may confuse Alexa vocals. There used to be a delete all, option whereas after, you can use the "discover", Alexa command to get a clean slate.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2023 at 4:26 PM, larryllix said:

#2. Both names have three out of four words the same. I don't think the Alexa parser can arbitrate those properly 100% of the time.

Although I always like to end with the device type eg: "Lamp" I would try shortening the vocal identifiers like maybe....
John's closet
Dog's closet

When you are done, find the device list in IIRC ISY portal and delete names that are redundant. There was never a clean-up phase and clutter may confuse Alexa vocals. There used to be a delete all, option whereas after, you can use the "discover", Alexa command to get a clean slate.

Thank you for the reply.

"Dog's Room Closet Light" phrase does not exist anywhere, but yet if you very clearly state that, it turns them on/off.  I have other lights that are pretty similair, and it never gets those wrong.  Believe it or not I have "basement hall lights" and "basement wall lights" and we never have issues with the Alexa choosing the wrong one.

Regarding not finding a new device, does anyone know how to poll the system to find it?  I added a wall dimmer, and Alexa cannot find that device.  Actually Alexa never finds new devices.  Only randomly after some time does the system find them.  I can poll all I want (by speaking to Alexa to find new devices, or by doing so manually in the Alexa app). 

Is there something I'm missing in the spoken name on the eISY side?  It shows the name under NOTES, and shows the name in ISY PORTAL.  Why couldn't Alexa find it or how could I get her to?

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, KHouse said:

Why couldn't Alexa find it or how could I get her to?

Are you sure you're adding devices correctly to the Alexa connection?

To have Alexa find them (and learn the spoken names) they have to be added via the UD Portal site:

https://my.isy.io/index.htm

image.png

Click on Tools -> Connectivity -> Amazon Echo

Then in that screen you have to add devices or other items. Then Alexa will find them the next time you command: "*wake-word* discover devices". 

You keep saying you put a spoken in the notes on admin console and somehow it shows up in Alexa. I've never attempted that, but I have a lot of devices connected through the portal and never have issues with it finding or controlling.

You should review the wiki for setting up Echo and Portal.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration_V3

Make sure when you're on the Portal and adding devices to the Echo "device list" your UUID should match the device you're using. If you have multiple devices you need to select the primary device in the profile setting in UD Portal. 

• Like 1

@Khouse I you simply changed the spoken in the portal in question #2, then you need to go to the Alex app,  find that spoke / device and delete the old one. Since that spoken is still in the Alexa app, the only way to get it to go away is to delete it. Changing it in the portal wont do that nor will discover new devices. 

As for point #1, I have never had that problem as long as I follow these steps, in order and hit save after each one. 

-go to portal as shown above, 

- create your link by selecting the ISY device / scene or program etc

-Add the spoken or multiple spokens (each one will show up as a separate device in Alexa)

-When done, be sure hit save and back all the way out of the portal to the main screen

-Ask Alexa to discover new devices. 

Good luck!

• Like 3

On Point#1, I have the exact same problem.  Every time I add anything in the portal it is not found after 'discover devices'.  It's been this way for as long as I can remember.  The fix for me is to unlink/relink the ISY skill, then discover devices.  That works every time.  Funny I just assumed that happened to everyone.  There was a thread about this a long time ago but I doubt I can find it.  It's interesting that it works for some people.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, tmorse305 said:

On Point#1, I have the exact same problem.  Every time I add anything in the portal it is not found after 'discover devices'.  It's been this way for as long as I can remember.  The fix for me is to unlink/relink the ISY skill, then discover devices.  That works every time.  Funny I just assumed that happened to everyone.  There was a thread about this a long time ago but I doubt I can find it.  It's interesting that it works for some people.

I remember we found if you unlinked the app for too long, and Alexa caught you, all the routines using the pseudodevices, may become disabled due to devices MIA. Short deletes and rebuilds seemed to be OK for device control mostly.

Edited by larryllix
  • Like 1
On 11/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, Geddy said:

Are you sure you're adding devices correctly to the Alexa connection?

To have Alexa find them (and learn the spoken names) they have to be added via the UD Portal site:

https://my.isy.io/index.htm

image.png

Click on Tools -> Connectivity -> Amazon Echo

Then in that screen you have to add devices or other items. Then Alexa will find them the next time you command: "*wake-word* discover devices". 

You keep saying you put a spoken in the notes on admin console and somehow it shows up in Alexa. I've never attempted that, but I have a lot of devices connected through the portal and never have issues with it finding or controlling.

You should review the wiki for setting up Echo and Portal.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration_V3

Make sure when you're on the Portal and adding devices to the Echo "device list" your UUID should match the device you're using. If you have multiple devices you need to select the primary device in the profile setting in UD Portal. 

On 11/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, dbwarner5 said:

@Khouse I you simply changed the spoken in the portal in question #2, then you need to go to the Alex app,  find that spoke / device and delete the old one. Since that spoken is still in the Alexa app, the only way to get it to go away is to delete it. Changing it in the portal wont do that nor will discover new devices. 

As for point #1, I have never had that problem as long as I follow these steps, in order and hit save after each one. 

-go to portal as shown above, 

- create your link by selecting the ISY device / scene or program etc

-Add the spoken or multiple spokens (each one will show up as a separate device in Alexa)

-When done, be sure hit save and back all the way out of the portal to the main screen

-Ask Alexa to discover new devices. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.  I put the spoken name in the admin console out of habit I guess.  I used to use the 994i with MobiLinc, and you would add the spoken names there.  Now I'm using the eISY with the UD App, so the spoken names are in the ISY portal.  I am also adding the spoken name in the ISY portal as it should be.  Unfortunately even though everything looks correct, I still cannot get new devices to be found manually.  If I wait long enough, they seem to be found on their own

On 11/14/2023 at 6:48 PM, tmorse305 said:

That was possibly my old thread from a while ago.  While researching this again last night I found that thread myself again (completely forgot about it to be honest).  In that thread I followed the direction to unlink and the skill and re-link and it worked.  Going to try that again now as I've been unable to get Alexa to find this new device.

• Solution

Just that quick it found the device/light.

I disabled the ISY Alexa skill, re-enabled, and almost immediately Alexa found that new device/light.

I guess for some of us we just need to do that extra step of disabling and re-enabling the skill.  Not a big deal as it takes 10 seconds to do...but anyway seems to be needed for me.

• Like 2

On that note...figured I'd ask the pro's for assistance with the ELK alarm voice integration.

Using MobiLinc I could set my home alarm by voice (Alexa).

However, with the ISY Portal and UD Mobile app, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

I can add the device (alarm_N001_area_1) in the ISY portal, and give it a spoken name.  However, I'm not sure what "device" to choose (light, switch, outlet, fan, device with open/close syntax, device with set/lower/raise sytax, motion sensor, contact sensor).

I've tried switch, and with disabling and renabling the ISY skill in the Alexa app it finds the device and spoken name, however, when I tell it to turn on or set the home alarm, it doesn't do anything.

Can anyone assist with how to properly setup the ELK alarm for voice control?  (I do have it in the UD Mobile app, and works fine to set/disable the alarm through the app without issue).

Again appreciate any help.

*The wiki does briefly touch on the ELK, but nothing that explains how to set the alarm on/off with voice.

**Looking to only set the alarm on with voice like before.  We still manually disarm the alarm with the app or at the keypad.

Edited by KHouse

I am not sure on that particular device and which to choose for Alexa..  A simpler method may be to write a program to do what you want with your security system and then make that a spoken to Alexa so that when you say turn on "House security" it runs the program Then statement.. no IF statement needed.

this is how I do a lot of Alexa related things.. Where I may have complex programs in ISY, I will have a simple one that is only for Alexa to initiate the complex programs. In this manner you can keep things really simple between the two interfaces. 

Here is an example for controlling my awning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.57e77f2b990ca6ee78d7ce05c248a4a6.jpeg

• Like 2
On 11/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, KHouse said:

On that note...figured I'd ask the pro's for assistance with the ELK alarm voice integration.

@KHouse Other than what @dbwarner5 posted you would probably get more help/assistance with this (new) request/question if it was a new topic in the Elk plugin area (https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/309-elk/).  Only because you started off asking about something with Alexa that seems to have been resolved. Just didn't think this would get much new attention from Elk users. Probably only got the reply from @dbwarner5 because they're following this thread and got a notification when there was a reply.

• Like 2
On 11/20/2023 at 12:33 PM, dbwarner5 said:

I am not sure on that particular device and which to choose for Alexa..  A simpler method may be to write a program to do what you want with your security system and then make that a spoken to Alexa so that when you say turn on "House security" it runs the program Then statement.. no IF statement needed.

this is how I do a lot of Alexa related things.. Where I may have complex programs in ISY, I will have a simple one that is only for Alexa to initiate the complex programs. In this manner you can keep things really simple between the two interfaces. 

Here is an example for controlling my awning. 

image.thumb.jpeg.57e77f2b990ca6ee78d7ce05c248a4a6.jpeg

On 11/20/2023 at 2:27 PM, Geddy said:

@KHouse Other than what @dbwarner5 posted you would probably get more help/assistance with this (new) request/question if it was a new topic in the Elk plugin area (https://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/309-elk/).  Only because you started off asking about something with Alexa that seems to have been resolved. Just didn't think this would get much new attention from Elk users. Probably only got the reply from @dbwarner5 because they're following this thread and got a notification when there was a reply.

Thank you both for the replies.

I will toy around with what @dbwarner5 mentioned, but will also post in the appropriate forum.  Thanks again.

• Like 2