Portal IP for communicating with eisy?

So I upgraded my router to support 10GB LAN and WAN with a RS700 from NETGEAR. It comes with a 1 year subscription to their NETGEAR Armor by BitDefender.

My question is what is the IP that is used to communicate with the UD App? I want to add that IP to the white list so that I don't have connection problems for suspicious behavior from an outside source. 

Thanks,

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N

I believe the way the Portal and all components work you don't ever truly have to worry about this - you can use DHCP.  The portal knows your Eisy by Mac address and how to find your home network.   There is magic that allows the portal to connect.  I'll call it magic, because I don't fully know what protocols are used and how it allows the traffic into your home network.  Maybe someone will clarify that for me too.

What I can note and help with is how to get a static IP address for the Eisy if you prefer the static.   I used to do that by hardcoding the IP in my ISY and turning off DHCP, but I've learned is that a "Reservation" in the router seems to be preferred these days.  So I've switched to the reservation when I upgraded to Eisy.

If you pull up the console for the router, look for Advanced Config, then LAN you'll find the IP reservation section.   You'll see all connected devices and will show the Mac address of each including your Eisy.   Find the Eisy, select it and add the reservation - choose the static IP address you want and assign it, save it.   Then reboot your Eisy.  It will always get that same IP address now when rebooted.

1 hour ago, gdntx said:

I believe the way the Portal and all components work you don't ever truly have to worry about this - you can use DHCP.  The portal knows your Eisy by Mac address and how to find your home network.   There is magic that allows the portal to connect.  I'll call it magic, because I don't fully know what protocols are used and how it allows the traffic into your home network.  Maybe someone will clarify that for me too.

What I can note and help with is how to get a static IP address for the Eisy if you prefer the static.   I used to do that by hardcoding the IP in my ISY and turning off DHCP, but I've learned is that a "Reservation" in the router seems to be preferred these days.  So I've switched to the reservation when I upgraded to Eisy.

If you pull up the console for the router, look for Advanced Config, then LAN you'll find the IP reservation section.   You'll see all connected devices and will show the Mac address of each including your Eisy.   Find the Eisy, select it and add the reservation - choose the static IP address you want and assign it, save it.   Then reboot your Eisy.  It will always get that same IP address now when rebooted.

Yeah my network is all reserved IP's... But that's not what I'm thinking about. This is more of a service that monitors all incoming connection via WAN. But earlier I was seeing connection failures in the UD Mobile App to the home system from the office location but the office location was fine. But when I returned home the home eisy restored it's connection and the the office eisy was still fine. I'm sure the eisy uses a UPnP call for making a outside connections for ports but what I want to do is add the eisy portal IP's that all this connects to into the white list table of the NETGEAR Armor (external service - not inhouse software) so that it will not block any suspicious connects. I'm pretty sure eisy is pretty unknown to these services. 

Cheers!

TRI0N

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TRI0N said:

I'm sure the eisy uses a UPnP call

It definitely doesn't use UPnP at all, because it works and my UPnP is shut off everywhere, so it's using a stateful connection (and I think some DNS-NAT trickery, though I don't know what the web side does).

2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@TRI0N,

If you are local:

https://eisy.local:8443 or http://eisy.local:8080

If you have ISY Portal account:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/ISY_Portal_Admin_Console

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes I have a portal account. So what I need to find out is how that portal or other other request are sent from what IP? That's all I'm asking for. I want to white list UD server so it can't be blocked from an external service that is designed to block unknown connections.

The local hostname is NOT what I'm looking for. But I'll continue my search..

Cheers!

TRI0N

Edited by TRI0N

The conversation will be initiated by the eisy and / or UDM app locally, outbound initiated to the portal. NAT firewall rules allow outbound and related inbound traffic, so there shouldn't be an issue. 

Between enhanced DNSSEC services and Trend Micro, I have network protection too and have not had UDI services blocked for the NAT firewall rule reasoning above.

FWIW my router shows eisy keeping an IPV6 address open as well which I assume portal

3 minutes ago, paulbates said:

The conversation will be initiated by the eisy and / or UDM app locally, outbound initiated to the portal. NAT firewall rules allow outbound and related inbound traffic, so there shouldn't be an issue. 

Between enhanced DNSSEC services and Trend Micro, I have network protection too and have not had UDI services blocked for the NAT firewall rule reasoning above.

FWIW my router shows eisy keeping an IPV6 address open as well which I assume portal

I will have to test it more from the office location. Maybe it was a momentary problem. But I still like adding external IP's to my white list that I trust. Like my domain database connecting to my home server to update the external backup databases. Just a peeve I suppose.

Cheers!

TRI0N

10 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Maybe it was a momentary problem.

If you tried it yesterday (Wednesday, 1/17) it seemed there was an issue during the day. Might have been related to your connection problem.

14 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

I will have to test it more from the office location.

Why "wait" until you're back at the office location? Just turn wifi off and use cell signal to test it while you're sitting at home and you can monitor in/out communication and probably figure this out without leaving the house. I get that you're probably on wifi at the office too, but to me step one would be "fix" remote connection on mobile network. 

15 minutes ago, TRI0N said:

Just a peeve I suppose.

Yep. Sounds about right. :)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TRI0N said:

So I upgraded my router to support 10GB LAN and WAN with a RS700 from NETGEAR. It comes with a 1 year subscription to their NETGEAR Armor by BitDefender.

My question is what is the IP that is used to communicate with the UD App? I want to add that IP to the white list so that I don't have connection problems for suspicious behavior from an outside source. 

Thanks,

TRI0N

Whitelist '*.isy.io'   where * is for all subdomains of isy.io

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1