Alexa routines not working - Fix made

Posted (edited)

Hi @bmercier, My routines are not triggering, I can see the motion sensor toggle in the Alexa app but the routine will not trigger.  Been of the phone with Amazon for over an hour, we've tried everything, delete app, disable skill, delete routine.  Nothing seems to help

Edited by tmorse305
34 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

Hi @bmercier, My routines are not triggering, I can see the motion sensor toggle in the Alexa app but the routine will not trigger.  Been of the phone with Amazon for over an hour, we've tried everything, delete app, disable skill, delete routine.  Nothing seems to help

This thing works by maintaining a permanent subscription to each units. If the subscriptions does not come up, that would show this symptom.

So as a test, please try to use AC or UDM over a remote connection. This will test that subscriptions are working.

I spoke to Amazon again.  When they look at the enabled skills on my account they see isy Optimized V3 enabled but they also see another skill called isy enabled.  I can't see the isy skill on my app but she said that's because it's no longer available.  Maybe that's part of the problem.  I asked her to delete it but she could not.  She wondered if maybe you could break the link to my isy account from your end.

7 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

I spoke to Amazon again.  When they look at the enabled skills on my account they see isy Optimized V3 enabled but they also see another skill called isy enabled.  I can't see the isy skill on my app but she said that's because it's no longer available.  Maybe that's part of the problem.  I asked her to delete it but she could not.  She wondered if maybe you could break the link to my isy account from your end.

The isy skill is very old, and this is not a smart home skill. That's a "custom skill". There's no chance that this interferes with isy optimized V3.

• Like 1

I am having the same problem as well. I have 17 motion/contact sensors showing changes in the Alexa app but not triggering the action, however, the action in the routine does work if I hit the play button. Very frustrating. I have contacted Amazon, and someone in tier 2 is supposed to be working on it. I hope someone figures this out soon. Best wishes to all.

58 minutes ago, koln1011 said:

I am having the same problem as well. I have 17 motion/contact sensors showing changes in the Alexa app but not triggering the action, however, the action in the routine does work if I hit the play button. Very frustrating. I have contacted Amazon, and someone in tier 2 is supposed to be working on it. I hope someone figures this out soon. Best wishes to all.

I have the same or similar problem. I have two variables set as motion sensors. All these two routines do is trigger an announcement. Neither works.

For anyone who is still having issues with Alexa routines, please check your IoX version. If it is not current, please make sure to upgrade to 5.8.3. There is a bug with subscriptions that can make it unstable and thus have an impact with Alexa routines.

To upgrade, use Upgrade packages in the admin console.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, bmercier said:

For anyone who is still having issues with Alexa routines, please check your IoX version. If it is not current, please make sure to upgrade to 5.8.3. There is a bug with subscriptions that can make it unstable and thus have an impact with Alexa routines.

To upgrade, use Upgrade packages in the admin console.

I was and am on 5.8.3. Variable motion triggers still don't work.

2 hours ago, auger66 said:

I was and am on 5.8.3. Variable motion triggers still don't work.

Are you able to see the sensor in the Alexa app, and have it change state?

If you can, and you are on 5.8.3, please open a ticket and mention your uuid & which spoken you are testing with, I will check the logs.

On 5/3/2024 at 1:26 PM, bmercier said:

Then events are sent to Amazon. If you can see the status changes in the Alexa app, then it can only be a problem at amazon.

27 minutes ago, bmercier said:

Are you able to see the sensor in the Alexa app, and have it change state?

If you can, and you are on 5.8.3, please open a ticket and mention your uuid & which spoken you are testing with, I will check the logs.

Yes, it says, "Motion detected" in the Alexa app, but the routine does not trigger. 

Over the years, ISY/eisy motion triggers for Alexa have come and gone. I believe Amazon is the culprit for most, if not all, of the issues I've had.

Based on your first post I quoted, do you still want me to open a ticket?

On 5/4/2024 at 5:03 PM, auger66 said:

Yes, it says, "Motion detected" in the Alexa app, but the routine does not trigger. 

Over the years, ISY/eisy motion triggers for Alexa have come and gone. I believe Amazon is the culprit for most, if not all, of the issues I've had.

Based on your first post I quoted, do you still want me to open a ticket?

Mine just started working again. I changed nothing.

Posted (edited)

My routine triggered by a variable is not working, based upon a manual change of value from 0 to 1 to 0.  Alexa says that this "sensor" has been inactive for 15 days.  I did not see any change in Alexa status from manually changing the values to the variable.  On the other hand, routines triggered by door sensors seem to be working.

I am on ISY 5.8.3 and the "Optimized" skill.

Update: and now, a couple hours later, the variable changes, Alexa sees the change, and triggers the routine.

Edited by oberkc

I upgraded to IoX 5.8.3 on Friday, which had no effect. Then I created a new state variable and contact sensor on Saturday but it didn't work. However, on Monday morning, I noticed that one of my routines started working again. After that, I noticed other sensors returning to life over the next two days. This morning I finally had a chance to test all my Alexa sensors, which are all finally working again! I don't know if it just took the update a few days to take effect or if Amazon finally got to my ticket and fixed it on their end. Either way, I'm back in business. Thank you all for your help and best wishes to everyone that we have put this issue to bed.

If anyone still had problems with routines, please give it another try.

A bug was found and fixed earlier today. Accounts with no preferred ISY would not receive events. 

The Alexa skill can work with no preferred ISY if the account only has one ISY. However, events would not be sent in that case. Now they are sent in that case as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1