Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Universal Devices Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ZMatter USB Firmware Update 7.32 to 7.46

Featured Replies

On 9/28/2026 at 4:23 PM, Javi said:

Yes we locked out z-wave long range unless at a min version (7.42) as other version had too many issues. eisy-ui is currently the only interface which gives you the option to choose mesh or long-range.

Tip: take a picture of the QR code and upload to pc, then select the image instead of trying to scan with a PC camera.... or use eisy-ui on mobile

@Javi which version of eisy-ui has the LR capabilites?

Slightly off-topic but generally related to discussions in this thread - does anyone know for certain how the Zwave dongle will behave if your system has a combination of 700 and 800 devices?

From what I understand, 700-series devices are designed to work in a mesh configuration, whereas 800 devices operate as a star network (each device communicates with the dongle directly). I believe 800 devices can also fall back to behave like a 700 device, so they can all work together in the same system. But this loses the range improvements some people are hoping for with a point-to-point 800-series device.

So would the ZMatter dongle use 700 and 800 communications simultaneously (allowing for both a mesh and a star network together), or would it expect all 700 and 800 devices to behave as part of a 700-series mesh network as long as there's at least one 700-series device present?

(Interestingly, due to the star nature of 800-series communications, you actually lose out on the direct association features of ZWave - since none of the nodes talk to each other, there's no way to set them up with a truly independent link that can operate separately from the hub)

Edited by peterathans

Well I believe the ZMatter dongle itself is 700 series, so it won't do any 800 stuff. But zwave is designed to be backwards compatible, so I'd presume any 800 series modules would work, communicating perhaps more slowly. Both LR and mesh can coexist.

  • Author

Hi All

Per my own strange case where I tried to "enable" Long Range Support via https://z-wave.me/support/controller-tools but then had it fail and not push the license into my USB dongle - noting all of this was on the win11 pc (not EISY)

Evidence of was that web tools https://z-wave.me/support/controller-tools shows LR as unchecked however going to move info https://z-wave.me/hardware-capabilities/?uuid=YOURUUIDHERE showed Long Range as enabled. The fix = download the Zniffer / Advanced Radio Tool https://z-wave.me/support/downloads/... use it to connect to your USB dongle (mine was at com4 port and baud 115200) , once you could see your UUID listed you know Zniffer sees your dongle, then click the i button and because the license was already provisioned on Zmatter server it a box popped up and downloaded the license. To confirm I closed radio tools and web back to web tools - and now finally Long Range shows X as enabled.

Hopefully others do not run into this but polite reminders

  1. Webtools https://z-wave.me/support/controller-tools actually queries the USB card directly to pull what it knows is enabled

  2. Viewing "more info" or Hardware Capabilities https://z-wave.me/hardware-capabilities/?uuid=YOURUUIDHERE pulls the licensed data for that UUID from Zwave-me servers (not from your usb stick)

@Javi - I do thank you for the reply and does sound like EISY might be able apply the license as well .. but it clearly had not as USB Dongle was in EISY online a few days in between my attempts here. However I did not try to add a ZW Long Range device as you suggested prior as I do not have one on hand. - Just noting for your info - I do appreciate the help.

Install.jpgFIXED LR Enabled.jpg

I must emphasize, the only thing needed is in the provided Wiki instructions. I am unsure of outcomes if anything else on the dongle is changed. We have not tested other versions or other features.

I upgraded today and all zwave devices are working well.

The only thing I’d mention for others is that it listed the same firmware version like 3 times in the pick list which I’d assume is different download endpoints. Also, the download portion failed a few times before it finished but eventually got to 100% and the actual FW update/flash was very fast as in only 5-10 seconds.

Thanks to others for researching and blazing the trail.

This morning I tried once again to update from 7.42 to 7.45 . This time it worked, with no timeouts during the countup. I then successfully updated from 7.45 to 7.46, again with no timeouts during the countup. Both of the updates were done with Bootloader 2.04.00.05 in place. I don't have any idea why it worked today with no timeouts, whereas all previous attempts failed.

If anyone has a direct link to the firmware release notes, it would be great if you would post it. I can't seem to find a combination of search terms that will get me to the release notes.

My zwave devices all seem to be working correctly with firmware 7.46 . That said, note that the EISY wiki directions say to update only to 7.42 .

On 10/8/2026 at 4:05 PM, junkycosmos said:

Hi All

Per my own strange case where I tried to "enable" Long Range Support via https://z-wave.me/support/controller-tools but then had it fail and not push the license into my USB dongle - noting all of this was on the win11 pc (not EISY)

Evidence of was that web tools https://z-wave.me/support/controller-tools shows LR as unchecked however going to move info https://z-wave.me/hardware-capabilities/?uuid=YOURUUIDHERE showed Long Range as enabled. The fix = download the Zniffer / Advanced Radio Tool https://z-wave.me/support/downloads/... use it to connect to your USB dongle (mine was at com4 port and baud 115200) , once you could see your UUID listed you know Zniffer sees your dongle, then click the i button and because the license was already provisioned on Zmatter server it a box popped up and downloaded the license. To confirm I closed radio tools and web back to web tools - and now finally Long Range shows X as enabled.

For those trying to figure out how to get this done (it's not very intuitive) here are the steps I wnt through with my Windows 11 PC:

Use the link provided to download the Zsniffer tool and select the Windows folder, and download the Win32 version (there is no 64 bit version), then unzip it in a directory on your PC, browse to it, and run ZMERadioTools, the very last file at the bottom.

You'll get a text window and the Advanced Radio Toolkit Screen, which you'll work in. at the bottom, click on the "+" button to add a port. You'll get a generic port line, named dev00. Now click in the box under "Serial", which will bring up a down arrow on the right. click on the arrow to see a select list, and choose the virtual serial port that you used to upgrade the ZMatter device firmware. I had to click on "Protocol" and choose PTI, and selected the baudrate 115200. Then click on the button with the little "i" at the right of the list. If everything is ok, you'll see the UUID of your dongle and a popup screen showing the features enabled, and that will also update the features that you had previously enabled (long range and ultra uart).

Exit the Zsniffer program and go back to the link to start the controller tools, and now you'll see the features enabled and checkboxes telling you that, as explained by @junkycosmos

I just wanted to say thanks to all for the information! I updated mine and everything went well I only had one timeout on my update path to the 7.46. My network is performing fine although I only have about 6 older zwave devices. I worry about not updating and losing the ability where the steps become difficult for the software.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.