Is the Polisy standalone and is it an ISY replacement?

Blackbird

If Polisy will become the new ISY:

1.  What is the time frame for this to happen?
  2. Will the current standard and pro versions that are on pre order now, be hardware ready for the future replacement of the ISY?
  3. Will the standard version or the pro version be zwave capable with its current hardware or will a new Polisy versions have to be released in the future?
  4. Will ELK be compatible and unchanged?

Im very interested in purchasing the Polisy but I just want to know what im getting into first.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Blackbird said:

2. Will the current standard and pro versions that are on pre order now, be hardware ready for the future replacement of the ISY?
  3. Will the standard version or the pro version be zwave capable with its current hardware or will a new Polisy versions have to be released in the future?

Im very interested in purchasing the Polisy but I just want to know what im getting into first.

Thanks

You may want to direct your message at udi by adding @ and the name of someone who works there as they are the only ones who can answer these questions. 

With they said, I highly doubt they would give any sort of a timeline for the isy to be ported over. The way their release read, the current versions will be able to run the isy software at some point.

Looking at UDIs history, I think it's safe to assume Elk or any other ISY add on would not change. If anything it would get better.

Personally, I don't see a port happening for 1 to 2 years. When it does, I would assume it would be once they move on from java. All of this is assumption on my part. I'm sure when udi Is ready they will share more information

8 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Thanks

I have to agree with you. It is difficult to make a decision now based on available information. I would like to support UDI, I feel they do a fabulous job, on the other hand, I would also like to take advantage of the discount, but only if it would actually replace the current ISY. More information is definitely needed.

13 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Thanks

4 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You may want to direct your message at udi by adding @ and the name of someone who works there as they are the only ones who can answer these questions. 

@Michel Kohanim Michel Kohanim

7 minutes ago, stealle said:

hmmm? like that? I thought all you needed was the name with "@" in front of it like I did the first time?

Like that yes. However you did it on a separate post. Depending on how many posts come here before he looks he may not see the exact post that you made.

Never mind someone else made the post so you can't edit it. 

In my very limited knowledge of the ISY (for me it replaced a JDS TImecommanderPlus with no ethernet connection, but it did have IR output) will this device help me get IR output via the Global Cache IR devices?  I guess in other-words I have a bunch of keypad buttons labeled for Velux IR skylight control and that will be my next project (to get them functioning).  I am using the old Velux keypads-still, that have the IR flashers stuck to them.

In checking the polyglot store I see nothing related to Global Cache.  Is it too simple for that or too unrelated?

2 minutes ago, redridge said:

In my very limited knowledge of the ISY (for me it replaced a JDS TImecommanderPlus with no ethernet connection, but it did have IR output) will this device help me get IR output via the Global Cache IR devices?  I guess in other-words I have a bunch of keypad buttons labeled for Velux IR skylight control and that will be my next project (to get them functioning).  I am using the old Velux keypads-still, that have the IR flashers stuck to them.

In checking the polyglot store I see nothing related to Global Cache.  Is it too simple for that or too unrelated?

Haven't heard global cache mentioned in a while. You can use the network module to talk to global cache. There should be some old links in the network module sub forum. A search in the search bar should pull them up.

5 minutes ago, redridge said:

I wouldn't say too simple or unrelated.  I think it just hasn't come up or been requested before.... I have a GC somewhere... I may have to take a look and see what it would take to do a nodeserver for it.

All,

Polisy will replace ISY994 but ISY994 will remain an active and supported product for a variety of business reasons. 

I cannot give you accurate ETAs. Suffice it to say that we have been working on the port for over a year now and it's continuing in a good pace.

INSTEON, there's a DB9 jack on the back which will be used to communicate with INSTEON. Given our horrid history with Z-Wave boards (manufacturing, certification, FCC, obsolescence, etc.), we are considering vetting one (max of two) USB dongles that work reliably (700 series). We are researching.

For those on the fence, my algorithm for the decision would have been:
Do I use or plan to use Polyglot? If no, wait … again, ISY994 is NOT going away. If yes, then: do I mind losing the discount? If no, wait. If yes, buy now.

For developers and geeks, with the 50% discount on top of the sale price, I really do not see any reason why you want to wait regardless. Polisy is what you have been waiting for. 

With kind regards,
Michel

3 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

All,

Polisy will replace ISY994 but ISY994 will remain an active and supported product for a variety of business reasons. 

I cannot give you accurate ETAs. Suffice it to say that we have been working on the port for over a year now and it's continuing in a good pace.

INSTEON, there's a DB9 jack on the back which will be used to communicate with INSTEON. Given our horrid history with Z-Wave boards (manufacturing, certification, FCC, obsolescence, etc.), we are considering vetting one (max of two) USB dongles that work reliably (700 series). We are researching.

Do I use or plan to use Polyglot? If no, wait … again, ISY994 is NOT going away. If yes, then: do I mind losing the discount? If no, wait. If yes, buy now.

For developers and geeks, with the 50% discount on top of the sale price, I really do not see any reason why you want to wait regardless. Polisy is what you have been waiting for. 

With kind regards,
Michel

What's the geek discount? I'll take that! Lol

While the flavor of Unix that the Polisy will run is different from Linux, a well-written high-level code such as that used to implement node servers won't be able to tell the difference -- so unless a developer has a specific and unusual requirement which they should document (and should be trying to avoid), if it works on you RPi, you should expect it to work on the Polisy too.

Things might be different for really interesting node servers that are very low-level -- for example, there's a node server that specifically interacts with the I/O pins on the Raspberry Pi -- that one obviously won't work on the Polisy.  It might also be too much to expect node servers written to interact with low-level blue-tooth functions on the Polisy (e.g. presence detection) to run on an RPi, althought that could probably be addressed by a well-written node server if the developer wished to do so*

* Or if the developer were incentivized to do so -- making a polyglot node server work on as many hosts as possible would increase the developer's income once the monetization aspect of all this is taken care of...

2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

All,

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks for the reply.  At this point with people having limited knowledge, your comments are greatly needed.  Just to clarify a couple of my original questions.

1. Will ELK still have the same support with Polisy as the isy does?

2.Are the 2 current versions of Polisy, future proof in terms of hardware, when the Polisy replaces the Isy or will there be new versions

3.  Can you explain a bit more about your zwave comment, will and addon for zwave be needed later?

Thanks again

@Blackbird,

1. In all likelihood ELK will become a Poly with nodes. Your ELK module will of course have the same features as you already have with your ISY's ELK module
2. Nothing is future proof. This said, the AMD CPU is Quad Core 1GHz and I doubt there will be anything more powerful for our purposes especially given our OS and 4GB of RAM + 32 GB of SSD
3. If we decide to use an off the shelf Z-Wave dongle (we are investigating two), a) it will be 700 series and b) it will have discount prices for upgrade for existing Z-Wave owners

With kind regards,
Michel

45 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Blackbird,

1. In all likelihood ELK will become a Poly with nodes. Your ELK module will of course have the same features as you already have with your ISY's ELK module
2. Nothing is future proof. This said, the AMD CPU is Quad Core 1GHz and I doubt there will be anything more powerful for our purposes especially given our OS and 4GB of RAM + 32 GB of SSD
3. If we decide to use an off the shelf Z-Wave dongle (we are investigating two), a) it will be 700 series and b) it will have discount prices for upgrade for existing Z-Wave owners

With kind regards,
Michel

I guess what i mean by future proof is, when the polyisy is capable of being a stand alone "isy", will the current models (hardware wise) be all we would need.

Thanks

Archived