Micros and In-line relays discontinued!!??

Samedarkclouds

Anyone else find this? Smarthome sent me an answer to my inquiry that basically said they don't think they are going to sell them anymore. This is disturbing. I know we all use them less then switches but to do a lot of things that weren't just lights they are a requirement. I feel like I am going to be forced to mix systems, or run a lot of new wire. Anyone got a lead on something that would substitute? I mean, I could use a din rail unit and add boxes where possible for them but for goodness sake that's crazy.

This could really limit any design. And even if there's a workaround, its probably not one the isy can accommodate, forcing multiple controllers and confusion and in my case a complete rethink for three or four upcoming projects and jobs.

Hoping something obvious I just don't know comes out of my posting that will make it all better.

I had not heard that.  I do use the micro's quite a bit (but, not as much as switches).  Fortunately, I bought a whole bunch a couple years ago for a project that I never did, so I have spares for a while.  I believe there are Z-Wave counterparts (like Aeotec's Nano Switch and Dimmer) that might suffice presuming you are using Z-Wave with your ISY, but IMO still less than ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

This really, really stinks. I went to buy three Micro On/Off switches for some under counter lighting and not available. My plan was to put a micro switch inside each under counter light fixture and use an Insteon wall on/off strictly as a controller of the micro switches. I've done this at another house and it works great.

I will look at the Z-Wave Aeotec Nano, although it look substantially larger than the Insteon Micro. Is the a Z-Wave equivalent to the Insteon wall switch that can be used simply as a controller for the Nanos?

This might be the start of my migration away from Insteon, although I have several dozen Insteon devices in use.

The new owner of Smarthome has been slowly thinning out the product line. If you see an item on sale it's probably on its way to being discontinued.

They do have a a few new items in development but they might just be replacements for existing outlets and switches. 

I did notice while browsing that colors other than white also seem to be unavailable. Maybe also part of the thinning out.

I could use a SwitchLinc On/Off with the frame and rocker removed, stuck in a junction box with a blank cover plate. Much less elegant solution, and a bit more work.

44 minutes ago, mikewu99 said:

I did notice while browsing that colors other than white also seem to be unavailable. Maybe also part of the thinning out.

I could use a SwitchLinc On/Off with the frame and rocker removed, stuck in a junction box with a blank cover plate. Much less elegant solution, and a bit more work.

they actually make a version of that without the yoke or plastics.

https://www.smarthome.com/products/in-linelinc-dimmer-insteon-2475da1-remote-control-in-line-dimmer-dual-band

https://www.smarthome.com/products/in-linelinc-relay-insteon-2475sdb-remote-control-in-line-on-off-switch-dual-band

I hadn't noticed the white only thing yet... but you're right.... :(

I think they got hit with Covid19 issues. Like many other manufacturers did.

I suspect new modules in the works. Got delayed and the older modules sold out. Before the new models got into the production and sales stream.

Though it sounds like Richmond Capital Partners was going in a new direction and how Insteon fits the new direction. Who knows?

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

I think they got hit with Covid19 issues. Like many other manufacturers did.

I suspect new modules in the works. Got delayed and the older modules sold out. Before the new models got into the production and sales stream.

Though it sounds like Richmond Capital Partners was going in a new direction and how Insteon fits the new direction. Who knows?

I hope that's the case... but when I questioned them directly they replied that they were all discontinued and that there were no plans to replace. I know that sometimes if there are things in the pipeline they don't know/say so, but it doesn't sound good.

14 hours ago, MrBill said:

These were included in what I was told were disco.

20 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

I hope that's the case... but when I questioned them directly they replied that they were all discontinued and that there were no plans to replace. I know that sometimes if there are things in the pipeline they don't know/say so, but it doesn't sound good.

I have an email from Smarthome customer support also saying that they were being discontinued due to "low sales". I also notice that the 2413S PLM is showing as "Sold Out", fortunately I was able to get one of two that were left on Amazon to go with the ISY I just ordered.

If Smarthome discontinues the PLM, where will that leave UD ans the ISY?

19 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

These were included in what I was told were disco.

Interesting.  They were in stock not long ago (I ordered one over the summer), I didn't notice they were out of stock when I linked them yesterday, but one thing that's different of the micro modules... they are still active items (the link hasn't been turned off), other discontinued items seem to vanish from view. 

It sad to see this.  One of the things that differentiated Insteon was all of the specialty items. 

1 minute ago, mikewu99 said:

I have an email from Smarthome customer support also saying that they were being discontinued due to "low sales". I also notice that the 2413S PLM is showing as "Sold Out", fortunately I was able to get one of two that were left on Amazon to go with the ISY I just ordered.

Dear lord....

20 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I also noticed that smarthome seems to have discontinued ISY's.

Smarthome doesn't manufacture the ISY, so they can't discontinue them in the sense they will no longer be made/available.

You can get them directly from UDI.

Just now, gzahar said:

Smarthome doesn't manufacture the ISY, so they can't discontinue them in the sense they will no longer be made/available.

While this is true, they have been joined at the hip for a while. Rarely do both patients survive a separation, and often neither do. This is bad shakaka. All bad shakaka.

30 minutes ago, gzahar said:

The advantage to it selling on SmartHome.com tho, is that people have been shopping for smarthome devices on that site since 1995.  People don't randomly shop on universal-devices.com unless they already heard of it and came specifically to buy it.

4 hours ago, mikewu99 said:

A little background: we have been in business for 13 years, supported INSTEON for 12 years, and were subjected to their incessant attempts to replace ISY with their own thing for 11 years (8 attempts in total). So, about 6 years ago, we decided to make our own PLMs but, thankfully - SmartHome being SmartHome - prevented us from doing so. So, 5 years ago, we decided to completely change our focus to Node Servers and Z-Wave. Thankfully, our sales no longer depend on INSTEON  or SmartHome.

The reason we are no longer sold on SmartHome is because I requested COD payment terms as it became quite unbearable having to wait to get paid every single time.

4 hours ago, Samedarkclouds said:

While this is true, they have been joined at the hip for a while. Rarely do both patients survive a separation, and often neither do. This is bad shakaka. All bad shakaka.

See above. With utility contracts, node servers, and Z-Wave we are 10000% OK and healthy. My worry is: what's going to happen to all those customers whose hubs or PLMs die? I hope they are working on the 9th attempt so that, at the least, these customers are not left in a limbo.

With kind regards,
Michel

11 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

A little background: we have been in business for 13 years, supported INSTEON for 12 years, and were subjected to their incessant attempts to replace ISY with their own thing for 11 years (8 attempts in total). So, about 6 years ago, we decided to make our own PLMs but, thankfully - SmartHome being SmartHome - prevented us from doing so. So, 5 years ago, we decided to completely change our focus to Node Servers and Z-Wave. Thankfully, our sales no longer depend on INSTEON  or SmartHome.

The reason we are no longer sold on SmartHome is because I requested COD payment terms as it became quite unbearable having to wait to get paid every single time.

See above. With utility contracts, node servers, and Z-Wave we are 10000% OK and healthy. My worry is: what's going to happen to all those customers whose hubs or PLMs die? I hope they are working on the 9th attempt so that, at the least, these customers are not left in a limbo.

With kind regards,
Michel

N ode servers is way over my head. I got the physical Polisy in the hope of loading Its, and now I am told even with the hardware that's not a thing I can do... Its going to be "big box" walled garden for me in no time.... I was mastering the isy... and the Insteon... now its declining and fast.

3 hours ago, Samedarkclouds said:

N ode servers is way over my head. I got the physical Polisy in the hope of loading Its, and now I am told even with the hardware that's not a thing I can do... Its going to be "big box" walled garden for me in no time.... I was mastering the isy... and the Insteon... now its declining and fast.

What's over your head? What specific nodeserver are you having issues with?

For the most part, you go to the polyglot store, hit install and the nodeserver downloads to your Polisy. You'll then choose a slot that you want it in (1-25), go to your dashboard, choose configure (something like that). Give it a minute. Depending on nodeserver, a message will pop up saying to log into your account. Once you input your credentials in, it'll start finding your stuff. Log into the isy admin console (or restart it) and it should show up. 

8 hours ago, mikewu99 said:

There is a new 2234-222 USB and 2234-223 Serial PLM replacement in the FCC Database. Expanded Link Database from ~1000 to ~4000. Universal power supply 100 to 240VAC 50/60Hz. RAM is faster speed for faster access.

FCC photos show what looks like an AC input plug as a separate assembly.  Mounted to the back of the main case. My thoughts future models maybe available for other country's  standards.

So the ISY994i should be fine.

23 minutes ago, Brian H said:

There is a new 2234-222 USB and 2234-223 Serial PLM replacement in the FCC Database. Expanded Link Database from ~1000 to ~4000. Universal power supply 100 to 240VAC 50/60Hz. RAM is faster speed for faster access.

FCC photos show what looks like an AC input plug as a separate assembly.  Mounted to the back of the main case. My thoughts future models maybe available for other country's  standards.

So the ISY994i should be fine.

Brian, what's the date in the database for the 2234-223 PLM?  It's most likely for Europe. 

I noticed that the 2413S PLM is "sold out" on the Smarthome website

I found a  Bridge Controller and 3 versions of Wall Switches that are in the process of getting approval. Not sure what country they're being designed for.

53 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What's over your head? What specific nodeserver are you having issues with?

For the most part, you go to the polyglot store, hit install and the nodeserver downloads to your Polisy. You'll then choose a slot that you want it in (1-25), go to your dashboard, choose configure (something like that). Give it a minute. Depending on nodeserver, a message will pop up saying to log into your account. Once you input your credentials in, it'll start finding your stuff. Log into the isy admin console (or restart it) and it should show up. 

This is the thing... I don't want what's int he store. the point that was sold to us was that we could take Poly's and Git's and put them on the hardware Polisy. This is the reason you would get a piece of hardware and not just run it off the serve version. There are active Git's that I want to use specifically for ISY and not only does it appear that no one knows how to use them... but it appears that no one seems to think that's a thing. What are they there for then? Why did it say that we would be able to load our own into the hardware. WTH is the point of the thing if its got 4 node servers available to it that aren't on the completely free software version. This whole thing is ridiculous. UHFIOSDHOISJNDKNSJONSKN.  80)

Archived