Insteon being discontinued?

jimg

6 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

most of insteons user base actually uses the hub in addition to homeseer and other platforms.

Although the hub can be used with HomeSeer it is NOT recommended nor preferred from either plugin.  The PLM is really important and vital to lots of system integrations

HomeSeer, Indigo both prefer PLM OR ISY integration for Insteon

RTI, CQC, MyServer all prefer to integrate with ISY which also requires the PLM.  What about control4 @lilyoyo1???  I'm thinking Crestron integration likely requires ISY or PLM.

Long term if the ISY994i as we know it goes away and the new Polisy doesn't support Insteon.... well me thinking that Insteon is going to die soon afterwards.... hmm... sounds like more Lutron sales... LOL :)

7 hours ago, simplextech said:

Although the hub can be used with HomeSeer it is NOT recommended nor preferred from either plugin.  The PLM is really important and vital to lots of system integrations

HomeSeer, Indigo both prefer PLM OR ISY integration for Insteon

RTI, CQC, MyServer all prefer to integrate with ISY which also requires the PLM.  What about control4 @lilyoyo1???  I'm thinking Crestron integration likely requires ISY or PLM.

Long term if the ISY994i as we know it goes away and the new Polisy doesn't support Insteon.... well me thinking that Insteon is going to die soon afterwards.... hmm... sounds like more Lutron sales... LOL :)

I guess i could've been clearer. I wasn't meaning using the hub with homeseer. I was saying that there are other controllers besides the Isy and that the hub itself has a large use base. 

You can connect the isy to C4 as well as insteon devices itself using houselinc to pre link. 

UDI not supporting insteon would be devastating for us users that prefer insteon. While it would hasten my switch to C4 for myself, I'd probably follow your path and replace insteon with lutron

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I guess i could've been clearer. I wasn't meaning using the hub with homeseer. I was saying that there are other controllers besides the Isy and that the hub itself has a large use base. 

You can connect the isy to C4 as well as insteon devices itself using houselinc to pre link. 

UDI not supporting insteon would be devastating for us users that prefer insteon. While it would hasten my switch to C4 for myself, I'd probably follow your path and replace insteon with lutron

As you know @lilyoyo1 I am all Zwave, and quite happy with my setup, except for motion sensors. In programs, these sensors take time ( 5 to 10 seconds) to have lights or Alexa react to detected motion. Does Lutron have sensors that would improve reaction speed ?

6 minutes ago, asbril said:

As you know @lilyoyo1 I am all Zwave, and quite happy with my setup, except for motion sensors. In programs, these sensors take time ( 5 to 10 seconds) to have lights or Alexa react to detected motion. Does Lutron have sensors that would improve reaction speed ?

You would have a much better experience with radio ra2 over zwave. There's no comparison. With that said, the cost is much greater. 

I don't use Lutron much to give alot of details about it. I took the training and so forth but it's not something I generally install. @simplextechwould be a great resource as he uses it much more than I do.

If you want to take the basic training for software access, it's free. I can help you get the switches to bring the cost down, but they'll still be more expensive than zwave devices

There is another side to this discussion. I have two homes that are all Insteon. I have two ISYs and Portals for both. I have avoided a system using more than one technology, i.e., Insteon and Zwave. I have also avoided the Polisy thus far because it provides nothing to me since I have no need of nodeservers at this time. I love my setup. It is dependable. I have a lot of time and money invested in it, and it concerns me deeply that the ISY may be going the way of the Dodo and Insteon no longer being supported. Were that to happen I will have to assess the wisdom of not only a very significant financial investment but the personal labor that will be required. I am 76 years old! I rue the day that I might be forced to abandon all my home automation. 

24 minutes ago, asbril said:

I am all Zwave, and quite happy with my setup, except for motion sensors. In programs, these sensors take time ( 5 to 10 seconds) to have lights or Alexa react to detected motion.

Yikes, 5 to 10 seconds?  With the latest firmware, I'm getting good performance out of my Z-Wave motion sensors (all wired, btw, mostly GE Enbrighten Smart Motion Switch/Dimmer), almost as fast as using Insteon motion sensors linked to a switch.  I'm getting a little less anxious about the fate of Insteon due to that.  I guess I'll have to unplug a couple of Aeotec Multisensors to see how they're performing...

42 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

Yikes, 5 to 10 seconds?  With the latest firmware, I'm getting good performance out of my Z-Wave motion sensors (all wired, btw, mostly GE Enbrighten Smart Motion Switch/Dimmer), almost as fast as using Insteon motion sensors linked to a switch.  I'm getting a little less anxious about the fate of Insteon due to that.  I guess I'll have to unplug a couple of Aeotec Multisensors to see how they're performing...

I am also on 5.3.3 but probably what makes the difference is that you have GE Enbrighten Smart Motion Switch/Dimmer). If not mistaken, that is with the sensor integrated in the switch and the instant reaction makes sense. I am using separate sensors, whereby the signal goes first to ISY and then back to the selected lights.

I had been thinking about using that integrated GE switch, but am a bit hesitant because of the angle of the wallbox. Nevertheless, I am going to try it !!!!

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You would have a much better experience with radio ra2 over zwave. There's no comparison. With that said, the cost is much greater. 

I don't use Lutron much to give alot of details about it. I took the training and so forth but it's not something I generally install. @simplextechwould be a great resource as he uses it much more than I do.

If you want to take the basic training for software access, it's free. I can help you get the switches to bring the cost down, but they'll still be more expensive than zwave devices

Thanks a lot. Right now, I am hesitant to change the technology of my switches, but will keep in mind. I am first going to try Bumbershoot's solution.

1 minute ago, asbril said:

I am also on 5.3.3 but probably what makes the difference is that you have GE Enbrighten Smart Motion Switch/Dimmer). If not mistaken, that is with the sensor integrated in the switch and the instant reaction makes sense. I am using separate sensors, whereby the signal goes first to ISY and then back to the selected lights.

I had been thinking about using that integrated GE switch, but am a bit hesitant because of the angle of the wallbox. Nevertheless, I am going to try it !!!!

I use several of these that do not directly use motion sensing to turn on the connected load, but are used to turn on a light in an adjacent space (I think it's setting the motion sensor in "manual mode" in these switches).  That's done through an ISY program.  It's quick.

23 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@asbril,

A better approach would be to open the Event Viewer, and measure the delay between the motion sensed and the program run (you could look at program summary - last run time). It might be that ISY is just way too busy (if you are using programs). If you are using scenes, then you might need to do the heal.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks Michel,

I must shamefully admit that, after all these years, I have not really used scenes as it had been my understanding that scenes were more for Insteon. Let me try to create a scene and see how it goes.

11 minutes ago, randyth said:

Is it my imagination or are there a lot more Insteon products available right now, including PLMs, toggle switches, and more?

I fear that this is your imagination.  It seems many products have been discontinued along with color selections for given products.

4 minutes ago, oberkc said:

I fear that this is your imagination.  It seems many products have been discontinued along with color selections for given products.

Right. I see no new products and perhaps fewer SKUs in general, but their SmartHome store does appear to have many more items in stock than when I last checked. Perhaps they are just clearing out newly discovered inventory.

4 hours ago, randyth said:

Right. I see no new products and perhaps fewer SKUs in general, but their SmartHome store does appear to have many more items in stock than when I last checked. Perhaps they are just clearing out newly discovered inventory.

I have been interested in another PLM, but they have been out of stock.  Since you mentioned that more items seemed to be in stock, I checked and see that this includes the PLM.  Nice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:26 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

They arent going anywhere. The problem they are having is getting the chips needed to power them. The same issue that other mfg. are starting to have as well including the auto industry.

Its amazing how much information is out there but noone seems to pay any attention to it.

Today's Wall Street Journal :

GM to Halt Production at Several North American Plants Due to Chip Shortage

Affected vehicles include the Chevrolet Traverse and Cadillac XT5 and XT6 SUVs

8 minutes ago, asbril said:

Bought the new Genesis GV80 on Saturday. They had 1 more with the 6 cyclinder on the lot after ours. The dealer was saying they aren't going to get new ones until July at the earliest due to the shortage.

Looked at Cadillacs too. They had about 5 of the XT5s on the lot and 3 Escalades. 

9 hours ago, asbril said:

No worries.  I'm sure SmartLabs has much more clout with the chip makers than GM does. 

18 hours ago, larryllix said:

My Insteon devices have outlasted any GM product I ever owned now.

Including your PLM?  (-;

Things change over the years. I still have a 2007 and a 2012 Chevy and neither one has ever had a day spent in the shop for failure. Wish my PLM and insteon thermostats were that dependable. But everyone's mileage will vary and every manufacturer will occasionally build a dud or use cheap capacitors.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:12 PM, LFMc said:

Including your PLM?  (-;

Things change over the years. I still have a 2007 and a 2012 Chevy and neither one has ever had a day spent in the shop for failure. Wish my PLM and insteon thermostats were that dependable. But everyone's mileage will vary and every manufacturer will occasionally build a dud or use cheap capacitors.

My PLM is original from Jan 2014. I bought a backup in a panic, tested it for a few weeks, and replaced the original.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, larryllix said:

My PLM is original from Jan 2014. I bought a backup in a panic, tested it for a few weeks, and replaced the original.

<snipped>

I must have jinxed myself. AFAICT my PLM bit the dust yesterday. NO Insteon action could be had. I power cycled it and all statuses and control came back only to be all found disconnected again last night. Replace with new PLM v2.6. Restore modem did a lot of work. Many Insteon devices failed to update but did so manually with "write updates" in admin console.

Now to start the long process of putting each MS and LD into linking mode to update. The automatic "write updates" never works with any of my 20 battery devices and just causes more caching backup inside ISY.  I hate having to take the dishwasher apart every time. :(**SIGH**

Archived