Can’t connect to Polisy on iPad?

inovermyhead

When I try to connect to my Polisy on my iPad (iOS 14.2) using Safari I get the Polisy Home Screen but with a red error banner ( “Not connected to server.. Try refreshing the page. This will disappear once the connection is re-established. “).  Clicking “Login” brings up the username and password fields; completing these and hitting return gives a green “You are now logged in” message but I can’t go any further:  the dashboard doesn’t show my installed node servers and the box at the bottom is blank for ISY version and Uptime is “Not Connected”.   I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong or missing?   Thanks

Michel,

In iOS 14 it's not possible to clear just the (Safari) browser cache on the iPad - it clears the browser cache on ALL devices signed into the same iCloud account. I'm loathe to do this since I have an iPhone, two iMacs and a MacBook in my account.   I don't have any trouble logging into the Polisy on the iMac.  And per Mr Bill's experience, trying to log into the Polisy using Firefox (which I otherwise never use) on the iPad also doesn't work ("Can't connect to server")   Doesn't this suggest that the problem isn't with a browser cache?

23 hours ago, inovermyhead said:

Michel,

In iOS 14 it's not possible to clear just the (Safari) browser cache on the iPad - it clears the browser cache on ALL devices signed into the same iCloud account. I'm loathe to do this since I have an iPhone, two iMacs and a MacBook in my account.   I don't have any trouble logging into the Polisy on the iMac.  And per Mr Bill's experience, trying to log into the Polisy using Firefox (which I otherwise never use) on the iPad also doesn't work ("Can't connect to server")   Doesn't this suggest that the problem isn't with a browser cache?

It could very well be something else. However in troubleshooting, Michel is going for the most logical explanation first vs lesser options that may be out there....While it may suck if other devices cache are cleared, sometimes hard choices have to be made in order to troubleshoot and get to the root of the problem

Curious about the effects of clearing the Safari Cache I first cleared the Safari Cache on my iPhone and then tried to open Polisy.  Same result as before, Polisy allows login, but does not "connect".

iphone.thumb.jpg.d7e8af7e1931f0ca1c463340759c28fd.jpg

Next I checked the Safari Cache on my iPad Pro, as I expected it had not cleared.   iCloud can keep tabs, bookmarks, and history synced across devices but does not appear to sync cache.   Nonetheless I then cleared the Safari cache on iPad.  Then opening Polisy... Again Polisy accepts Login but doesn't "Connect".

Refreshing the page does nothing.   Since this holds true across multiple devices, multiple browsers, and even multiple users it appears to be some kind of conflict with iOS, I'm not sure what it would be. 

ipad.thumb.png.ebd525ef9945b273341a057711000260.png

Personally this doesn't affect me.  I do only carry the iPad while traveling but if I need admin or Polisy I would a remote desktop on a windows machine via VPN and actually can open these.  When I encountered this thread tho I was curious, so I tested in 3 browsers, and now 2 devices.  Sometimes I have a hunch about browser issues but this time I have none, other than it may flat out be incompatible with iOS.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:33 PM, MrBill said:

Curious about the effects of clearing the Safari Cache I first cleared the Safari Cache on my iPhone and then tried to open Polisy.  Same result as before, Polisy allows login, but does not "connect".

iphone.thumb.jpg.d7e8af7e1931f0ca1c463340759c28fd.jpg

Next I checked the Safari Cache on my iPad Pro, as I expected it had not cleared.   iCloud can keep tabs, bookmarks, and history synced across devices but does not appear to sync cache.   Nonetheless I then cleared the Safari cache on iPad.  Then opening Polisy... Again Polisy accepts Login but doesn't "Connect".

Refreshing the page does nothing.   Since this holds true across multiple devices, multiple browsers, and even multiple users it appears to be some kind of conflict with iOS, I'm not sure what it would be. 

ipad.thumb.png.ebd525ef9945b273341a057711000260.png

Personally this doesn't affect me.  I do only carry the iPad while traveling but if I need admin or Polisy I would a remote desktop on a windows machine via VPN and actually can open these.  When I encountered this thread tho I was curious, so I tested in 3 browsers, and now 2 devices.  Sometimes I have a hunch about browser issues but this time I have none, other than it may flat out be incompatible with iOS.

That appears to be a connection to ISY problem and I don't see how the browser in iOS should be related. If Safari were not connected to the polyglot server you shouldn't have a webpage at all.

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

That appears to be a connection to ISY problem and I don't see how the browser in iOS should be related. If Safari were not connected to the polyglot server you shouldn't have a webpage at all.

I don't think its a connection to the ISY problem.  First it works from other non-ios devices just fine.  Second, nodes in the ISY are updating.  I've seen the red connections banner at times on my windows laptop but it also goes away by refreshing the page.  Obviously the web server on Polisy is working. 

If I had to guess, and its only a guess, I'd bet on a database connection from code running in browser not being allowed by iOS for some reason.

22 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I don't think its a connection to the ISY problem.  First it works from other non-ios devices just fine.  Second, nodes in the ISY are updating.  I've seen the red connections banner at times on my windows laptop but it also goes away by refreshing the page.  Obviously the web server on Polisy is working. 

If I had to guess, and its only a guess, I'd bet on a database connection from code running in browser not being allowed by iOS for some reason.

Your browser is never considered a server, but always a client. The error message indicates a server. I had that error when my ports were not set up right with my ISY and now when polyglot is rebooting after a setup change.

But it shouldn't vary with a different browser so a very confusing report.

MY mistake. The error must be coming from your browser about the polyglot server. More programmer laziness when reporting errors. They tend to see things from their POV during the programming. :)

Odd the browser would get half way through the webpage and then not comm anymore. I don't think polyglot has used any newer html5 tricks that may not be supported. It all looks like basic old-tech stuff to me.

Another update: The last screen shot indicates polyglot cannot connect to the ISY or device also. That is definitely coming from polyglot in it's status box. It would appear your browser may be causing polyglot to crash.

2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Your browser is never considered a server, but always a client. The error message indicates a server. I had that error when my ports were not set up right with my ISY and now when polyglot is rebooting after a setup change.

But it shouldn't vary with a different browser so a very confusing report.

Never said the browser was a server.  My theory is tho that the .js script running in browser that we can see by viewing Page Source opens a database connection back to Polisy.  Likely why they force https on all Polisy pages served.

Mine are only guesses and theories, and I won't spitball more about my guesses.  I'll be happy to test anything for UDI and assist.  As I said up above the outcome at this point doesn't make too much difference to me I don't use this method to access Polisy even while traveling.  I read OPs post and said "I wonder if I have that problem or can spot a solution"---so I opened my iPad and tried everything I can think of... including multiple browsers and multiple devices...the only common denominator seems to be iOS itself.

No, the problem is definitely local (on the iPad): At the same time I get the "not connected to server" in a Safari tab on the iPad, I have a browser window open (again, in Safari) on my iMac and Polisy is perfectly happy - connected and updating nodeservers in the ISY.  And it can't just be the (iPad) Safari; the same problem occurs with Firefox on the iPad.  And the same with either browser on an iPhone.   Something in iOS (14)?? 

Another possible clue:  On the iPad, at the bottom of the page "Version Status: Disconnected" and "ISY Version" is blank  rather than "Version 2.2.9-5 Status: Connected" and "ISY Version 5.3.0" on the iMac.  Doesn't this suggest that the iOS browsers have not fully completed a connection to the Polisy?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived