How do i get rid of Tapatalk?

BamBamF16

So once upon a time I tried Tapatalk.  I used it primarily for this site. I don't anymore. But everytime I open a topic on mobile I have to answer if I want to open in safari.or Tapatalk. How do I make this stop. I u subscribed in Tapatalk. What else can I do? Something on this forum?

Thanks, Jeff

11 hours ago, MrBill said:

I did that years ago....  It was installed on my phone for less than 1 day, the mobile version seemed easier to use to me.

263769937_ISY994iZWIRPROInsteon2413U-Howtoconnect-NewuserHavingtroubleStarthere...-UniversalDevicesForum.thumb.png.844c6e54ec227228b23a5303fc3f728e.png

Further, if Tapatalk is selected, I then get an error screen.

From what I have read, uninstalling the app should remove the prompt.

I would try installing and removing again.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@bambamf16

Sadly, there doesn't appear anything that can be done from the admin side of the forums. I have been looking for options and there's no mention for a "fix" for anything like this. Indeed, most have just been to delete the app and it should go away. But, if it isn't working for you and hadn't worked for @MrBill in the past then it might just be an iOS issue.

It turns out that I have Tapatalk installed on iOS and have used it in the past (on an old phone) to browse the forums. But I don't get that pop-up on my current phone. I just tested in Chrome and Safari and never got the prompt to open Tapatalk (but again, I don't think I've used it on the current phone I'm on). 

There are some settings for Tapatalk, but if they're turned off it causes issues for those members that do use the app for these forums. (It was attempted in the past and I'm told it caused bigger issues so it was turned back on). Sadly, there's nothing that can be done on the forum settings side. 

If you use Chrome on the iOS device do you get any pop-up? Perhaps it's only on Safari. 

I know I get the annoying "continue" popup for Reddit if I go to their site on Safari and it just opens the Reddit app if I go there in Chrome. 

Last ditch effort would be to complete reset the phone. It's drastic option, but one I'd try if it bugged me that much. Only thing leading me that way is that I'm on a new phone and don't get the popup, but can't confirm that I've used Tapatalk on this phone (since I don't usually use it...I think the app just came over from the conversion from the old phone). Though I'm heading back to the phone now to delete the app so I don't start having the issue. ;)

@Geddy

My issue is this is a new phone.  I don't use safari.  I use DDG and FF on ios.  This issue has followed me through phones, browser changes.  Everything.  It has to be something on the server side.  I don't know how TAT works to ensure only subscribed forums open on the app.  There has to be something saved server side.

Jeff

@bambamf16 Bummer that it's carried over to a new phone. Just for my personal testing I put tapatalk on the ipad and followed these forums and moved around these forums on the app. I then went to Safari and came to the forums and went to several posts. I was never asked to use Tapatalk. So, I don't think it's server related. It's got to be something settings related on the device. 

Since you say you don't have it currently installed would you mind installing it and checking out the settings for the app on the iOS device? Perhaps turn off "Learn from this app" and "suggest app" in the "Siri and Search" option. I doubt that makes a difference (since mine are all allowed), but it's something on the device that might break the bond for the app and Safari. 

I found this about Reddit (turning off the popup related to Android), but it's outdated and don't see that setting on iOS, but I also went looking for something like this in Tapatalk. There wasn't anything in the app settings. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 9:15 AM, BamBamF16 said:

How do I make this stop.

@BamBamF16 and @MrBill … the version of Tapatalk plugin that was running on this site was outdated, and might have been causing this issue (for iOS users).  The plugin was updated to a more recent version today.  

Try the site in the mobile browsers and let me know if you still get the “open in Tapatalk” if you don’t have Tapatalk installed.  I tried tonight in Safari and Chrome on iPadOS and never got that warning. I had Tapatalk installed on the iPad, deleted it, hard rebooted the iPad, then logged into the forums to test. I viewed threads normally and also copied links from one browser to another and didn’t get the “Open in Tapatalk” pop up. 

Hopefully you won’t either. Please let me know the results of your tests.  

I, too, once tried tapatalk.  I use android and chrome browser.  I deleted tapatalk but continued to get the "open this topic in..." notification.  I got a new phone and, never having loaded tapatalk, continue to get the notice.  Never did figure out how to delete, but I did not try very hard.

57 minutes ago, oberkc said:

I deleted tapatalk but continued to get the "open this topic in..." notification.

@oberkc looks like Android has a different system in place and it's a little bit more convoluted as to if we can make that go away from "server" side.  I made a change this morning (3/3). It might help, but it could also impact actual users of Tapatalk. 

44 minutes ago, DennisC said:

I received the notice around 9:45 pm yesterday.

bummer...are you on iOS or Android? I haven't had it again. But I was off and on with it to begin with as it wouldn't happen all the time. Those kinds of things are hard to track down. 

10 minutes ago, Geddy said:

bummer...are you on iOS or Android? I haven't had it again. But I was off and on with it to begin with as it wouldn't happen all the time. Those kinds of things are hard to track down. 

I'm on Android and I have never had Tapatalk installed.

9 hours ago, Geddy said:

Please let me know the results of your tests.  

No change.

IMG_5844.thumb.PNG.64ca795001d5b0e0edfe739e3eb39a49.PNG

I really don't understand why anyone wants or needs tapatalk. I tried it, I really disliked it, now I'm stuck with these stupid dialog boxes.  I find the mobile version of the forum to be better, but because of tapatalk and the need to dismiss the damm dialog box shown above with each navigation I simply refuse to use the forum on mobile.  Normally that's fine, but I only logged in twice when i was in Mexico for January.

1 hour ago, DennisC said:

I'm on Android and I have never had Tapatalk installed.

That explains it. Yeah, Tapatalk and Android have an interesting issue. I've tried to adjust that, but not sure the impact. It's something specific with Android that they are able to suggest apps tied into forums. 

What a cluster, if you ask me. 

@MrBill I agree that the mobile version is just fine, but apparently "forum power users" (that keep up with multiple forums) prefer the way Tapatalk works for them. It's a savage app that once it gets it claws into something is difficult to release. 

30 minutes ago, Geddy said:

That explains it. Yeah, Tapatalk and Android have an interesting issue. I've tried to adjust that, but not sure the impact. It's something specific with Android that they are able to suggest apps tied into forums. 

What a cluster, if you ask me. 

@MrBill I agree that the mobile version is just fine, but apparently "forum power users" (that keep up with multiple forums) prefer the way Tapatalk works for them. It's a savage app that once it gets it claws into something is difficult to release.

So for the 3 users we have that like tapatalk, the rest of us must suffer.  I understand. yup... i get it... makes no sense.

People may forget when you uninstall something and it is still running, it will likely re-install the latest version when it comes out, or repair itself. When you buy a new (free) phone, on your plan, and, like an idiot, give your phone to the sales (tech) to clone everything over for you, that image follows you around for the rest of your life.

People just don't care as there old pile of antiquities datas fit well into 16GB, and then their 32GB, and then their 128GB, and now their 1TB, cell phone memory, even if they never look at those photos again.

History never forgets, and either does social diseases media systems.

11 minutes ago, larryllix said:

People may forget when you uninstall something and it is still running, it will likely re-install the latest version when it comes out, or repair itself. When you buy a new (free) phone, on your plan, and, like an idiot, give your phone to the sales (tech) to clone everything over for you, that image follows you around for the rest of your life.

People just don't care as there old pile of antiquities datas fit well into 16GB, and then their 32GB, and then their 128GB, and now their 1TB, cell phone memory, even if they never look at those photos again.

Very true though it doesn't explain those who never downloaded the app in the first place

17 hours ago, larryllix said:

I can assure that it's NOT installed on my phone.  I've triple checked.  It also hasn't been installed ever on this device.

Apple has a way of persisting settings even on new devices which are not cloned but linked to the users apple id.  I had a weeks long battle with Accessibility settings and even bought a new device.  I did not copy the image and only signed into my account but the issue persisted.  Ultimately I had to contact apple developer support as Voice Over access was needed for app development. An Apple engineer had to walk me through a "hidden" accessibility setting (difficult to access accessibility setting ha!). The engineer said the setting should only be linked to one device and should not transfer, alas it did transfer to a new device and changing the setting on one device transferred to all my other devices.  Changing the hidden setting felt like a Konami code,  it required the user to twist 2 fingers and then swipe up immediately.

......did you try up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right....?

On 7/27/2021 at 11:08 AM, MrBill said:

I did that years ago....  It was installed on my phone for less than 1 day, the mobile version seemed easier to use to me.

263769937_ISY994iZWIRPROInsteon2413U-Howtoconnect-NewuserHavingtroubleStarthere...-UniversalDevicesForum.thumb.png.844c6e54ec227228b23a5303fc3f728e.png

Further, if Tapatalk is selected, I then get an error screen.

7 hours ago, MrBill said:

I can assure that it's NOT installed on my phone.  I've triple checked.  It also hasn't been installed ever on this device.

I can assure you, if you read my post, it explains why your current phone could  still have Tap-a-talk installed, based on your  previous admission you did install Tap-a-talk. For it to work you also have a registered and valid Tap-a-talk account.

Based on the other apps forced on unsuspecting customers of any Google product, Tap-a-talk should be least if our problems. :(

59 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I can assure you, if you read my post, it explains why your current phone could  still have Tap-a-talk installed, based on your  previous admission you did install Tap-a-talk. For it to work you also have a registered and valid Tap-a-talk account.

Based on the other apps forced on unsuspecting customers of any Google product, Tap-a-talk should be least if our problems. :(

Still doesnt explain those who get the message who've never installed the app at all.

Archived