Migration to ISY on Polisy: An attempt to collect, organize and share Simplified Directions.

dbwarner5

Here is something else I noticed when migrating from my Raspberry PG2 to PG2 on Polisy.

I did the export/import ok, then at one point it seemed I had two Polyglot 2 running so I stopped the nodeservers on the old PG2. I then deleted them later and it then removed off my ISY which was not my intent! But the new Polisy PG2 server said all still connected. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall all manually to add back into ISY.

Reason I did this way is I was running other things on Raspberry Pi and didn't want PG2 connected anymore but still wanted it operational.

@Michel Kohanim After doing export of my isy994i, and import to Polisy. I notice that I could not register the isy on Polisy in portal. There is no portal config options. I had connected Polisy to portal prior to import isy994i config. I deleted in porral and tried re-adding but ISY does not detect.  I am thinking now maybe because I had setup before and the import did something to make it stop working based on something in ISY 994i import.

EDIT...  I opened a ticket..thanks Michel for resolving the issue.

My Polisy is now converted... my takeaway from the experience is that if you don't have much z-wave it is a pretty straight forward upgrade, but prepare to do some manual planning and work if you have lots of z-wave. I only have about 15 devices and not too many programs so I spent an evening on it.

My z-wave on Polisy was not as responsive at first but seems to be stabilizing a bit, I think because it self-heals/learns best routes as I add more devices.

All of the scenes I had Insteon and Z-wave left a remnant old z-wave which could not remove until I added another device to scene which seemed to update it so I could remove.

Programs that reference Z-Wave devices show out of memory error in status view after the import, so they are easy to spot and correct.. the comments actually provide the old node number so I recommend to use the topology as was suggested before and make a list. I made a spreadsheet with all my z-wave devices and nodes, printed it out and as I added them I made note of the new node number. Then was able to go through the programs and make manual changes where necessary.

Edited by brians
update/resolved

if my ISY on Polisy is

and my ISY is

Can I use a backup from ISY 5.3.4 to restore into an "ISY on Polisy" that is on 5.3.0? 

if not, then what should I move the ISY to before going through this process?

Edited by someguy
24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

@Javi Can you comment if it's possible to keep our UD Mobile setup including Favorites when moving from ISY to ISY On Polisy?  If swap the IP address of ISY and Polisy during the conversion, and change the Portal setting in UD Mobile will it work?  Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but would be nice to see it included in the OP.

Yes, as long as the node/program/variable addresses remain the same.  As always backup UD Mobile setup in case of sync issues with the new system.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Migration

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/31766-ud-mobile-release-announcements/?do=findComment&comment=325741

• Like 1

There is no way to Migrate PG3 from ISY to ISY On Polisy.  I decided to do this migration today and most of my time has been deleting everything on PG3 and reinstalling after pointing to Polisy.  Just a warning that if you are moving to PG3 it would be best to migrate to ISY On Polisy first.  The PG2 backup and restore on PG3 should work, but I have no experience with it since I moved one at a time originally.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:35 PM, Jimbo said:

The PG2 backup and restore on PG3 should work, but I have no experience with it since I moved one at a time originally.

So I'm getting ready to migrate my NSs from PG2 to PG3.  I have purchased all of the PG3 licenses that I need but have not installed anything yet.

If I do a restore from a PG2 backup I don't need to install anything right?  They will be restored in the proper locations based on the PG2 backup and they will install because I already have the licenses.

Just want to be sure before I push the button!

Once restored it seems there will be 2 NS with the same configuration trying to talk to IoP.  Is that a problem?  Do I just stop the duplicate PG2 NSs?

Thanks.

I haven't tried that either.  I did test by backing up my PG2 and using that to restore to PG3, but a lot of my node servers didn't have PG3 versions and I didn't have licenses for other.  For the few that were left, it did seem to create them correctly in PG3.

Keep in mind that PG3 is still considered ALPHA. There are missing features and most definitely bugs that still need to be addressed. 

I am going through this migration process and my ISY on Polisy Admin Console continues to have the banner pop up like this:image.png.9af8bb5714ed14a1e4810993d214d8f6.png

and when it gets to 100%, it goes away and then comes back and starts over, counting up to 100 again.  it has done this at least 5 times so far.  How many times should this happen with a "Restore ISY"?

also, it now is saying "Refreshing Views" in the blue window (pictured above) as it ticks across again and again.  if that helps any. 

Edited by someguy
clarification

@tmorse305 and anyone else who might be able to help:

I've tried rebooting ISY quite a few times and it continues to do this over and over, counting up to 100.  

image.png.e91abd73c0f122660e58257b28c01240.png

problem resolved on its own, somehow, after a few reboots.  Thank you for any help and sorry to cry wolf. 

Edited by someguy

I used this guide yesterday to migrate from the ISY994 to ISY-Polisy - it was extremely helpful

a couple of notes that could be added:

under "Migration of Polyglot PG2 to new ISY on Polyglot" - the settings are host: localhost, port: 8080, uncheck HTTPS

new section - removal/reinstallation of Cloud Nodeservers (Ring+ISY Portal):

This can be done after the migration via the ISY admin panel and my.isy.io

Everything appears to be working so far...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, someguy said:

another snag:

after migrating to "isy on polisy", none of my network resources work.  any suggestions for how to fix that?  they're all there and as far as I can tell, they all look fine but none of them work. 

I got mine working again after I opened/updated/saved each one of them. Maybe there is a quicker way to accomplish the same.

@waffles Thank you so much for taking the time to type in your answer.  I did the same thing I opened each one, and then just clicked "save" (not necessary to click "update") and clicked "save" at the bottom of the main page and they worked.  I had about 80 or so of them but it was worth the time. 

@dbwarner5 Thank you so much for putting together this guide.  you could add this as one of the steps for those who have "network resources".  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, waffles said:

I got mine working again after I opened/updated/saved each one of them. Maybe there is a quicker way to accomplish the same.

+1 - same thing happened to me - in general it seems when Network Resources or Nodeserver references don't work in programs, the first thing to try is to update and save

Since last week I find my Polisy reboots over and over on startup. I got around this by disabling query at restart, then a manual query seemed to work but now I am not sure... I do notice today that when I run query all program the ISY will restart.

The reason I want to query all is that I cannot turn on/off lights via ISY etc. if it does not know the current state.

Seems that it seems to be spending an unusual amount of time on my Zooz Zen25 double plug with the system busy dialog. I think I will try to remove the plug and see what happens.

Also every time ISY restarts, loses communication with PG2 and I have to go into dashboard and restart each node server. If I reboot the entire Polisy then I have to go and enter password in PG2 - seems to forget it.

I am contemplating reverting back to ISY994i for now since I don't have time for this right now.. maybe will open a ticket and next update could resolve some of my issues.

Edit... I just ran query all and I got a message that ISY has restarted and had to login, and ISY is now restarted!

Edit 2... noticed that the query all program ran at 3am without restarting... seems that when I am logged into ISY using the Java program while it is running the program I get the restarted message...

Edited by brians

@Michel Kohanim I will let you know the power supply later when home.

I edit my post above indicating that the query all ran fine at 3am this morning without reboot. I am thinking that it reboots when I run manual query program manually, and possibly while I am logged in the administrative console and watching... which what I did also after it kept rebooting on startup before (which is why I disabled query on restart).

BTW, is this just a cosmetic glitch in system status?

image.png.44f7b92e49df28657cef709a1fc7fcf7.png

2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@brians, thank you. Also, are you using PG3 or PG2?

That's a cosmetic error.

With kind regards,
Michel

PG2 on the Polisy.

When I restart entire Polisy device, it requires me to enter the password for ISY in settings.

If I restart ISY while Polisy is running, the nodeservers on ISY do not update... I have to go into PG2 and simply restart each one then connection/updates resume instantly.