WiFI/Ethernet explanation needed

ronbo

I just fires up my Polisy Pro.  I went into the config and enabled the WiFi, connected it to my Network and assigned it a static iP.  My WiFI is x.x.x.12 and the Ethernet is x.x.x.13. I am able to ping both addresses and access the IOP and polisyconf on both IP's.  Until I unplug the hardwired connection. Then I looses all connectivity and ISY finder can not find it.

I just fires up my Polisy Pro.  I went into the config and enabled the WiFi, connected it to my Network and assigned it a static iP.  My WiFI is x.x.x.12 and the Ethernet is x.x.x.13. I am able to ping both addresses and access the IOP and polisyconf on both IP's.  Until I unplug the hardwired connection. Then I looses all connectivity and ISY finder can not find it.
I am not sure what you have to set up to enable WiFi and make a connection on a polisy but usually WiFi uses a different MAC address than a hardwired connection.

You may need to set up another IP assignment on your router for the WiFi and then inject that same IP address into your finder.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ronbo said:

Until I unplug the hardwired connection. Then I looses all connectivity and ISY finder can not find it.

I might be wrong, but I don't think wifi is fully implemented on Polisy Pro yet to have it make a wifi connection and be available. 

The Polisy User Guide (in the wiki) only suggests using the Cat5 cable that comes in the box to make the connection. There's no mention/direction of being able to make a wireless connection. I know some might have been able to alter it in PG2 or SSH, but the most dependable way would be hard wired.

If works with the wire and is in an acceptable location for you I'd suggest leaving it wired in for now.

32 minutes ago, Geddy said:

I might be wrong, but I don't think wifi is fully implemented on Polisy Pro yet to have it make a wifi connection and be available. 

The Polisy User Guide (in the wiki) only suggests using the Cat5 cable that comes in the box to make the connection. There's no mention/direction of being able to make a wireless connection. I know some might have been able to alter it in PG2 or SSH, but the most dependable way would be hard wired.

If works with the wire and is in an acceptable location for you I'd suggest leaving it wired in for now.

I used the Wi-Fi interface when I was setting up some previously installed Z-Wave devices.  I didn’t want to have to dismantle door locks, etc. to get them close enough the Polisy for inclusion, so I just turned on the Wi-Fi and moved the Polisy close to the devices.  The interface for turning on the Wi-Fi isn’t all that intuitive, but it works once you figure it out. 

• Thanks 1

@Bumbershootlike I said I’ve got the Wi-Fi interface turned on, But as soon as I unplug the hardwired cable the Polisy is no longer accessible on either IP. Can you share how you were able to unplug it and move it to a different location. My intent is to do exactly what you did but to leave it hardwired most of the time

13 hours ago, ronbo said:

@Bumbershootlike I said I’ve got the Wi-Fi interface turned on, But as soon as I unplug the hardwired cable the Polisy is no longer accessible on either IP. Can you share how you were able to unplug it and move it to a different location. My intent is to do exactly what you did but to leave it hardwired most of the time

If the Wi-Fi interface has got the IP and MAC addresses populated, you should be able to unplug the ethernet cable.  You may have to reboot the Polisy to get the Wi-Fi address to become active (I don't recall, but I had to reboot it anyway to move it around to various locations).  Below is the Wi-Fi interface in PG2 prior to activating the interface.  I reserved an IP address for Polisy Wi-Fi in my routers address reservation table for future use.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 4.42.34 AM.png