Next Gen Teaser

Hello, 

As you may know, we have been working on our next gen isy/polisy. It is beautiful and very powerful!

image.png

We did away with a lot of things (moving parts) such internal connectivity and DB9, and made a few things included by default such as WiFi 6 and BT 5.2 (and BLE), one Ethernet jack, and 4 USB ports. BLE can help us with HomeKit integration (long road ahead though). MatterZ board will be USB and plugs into one of the USB ports.

It also comes with 2 HDMI ports the purpose for which we are still debating. So, in the meantime, I keep watching 4K videos and listen to music on my Bluetooth earphones. It's breathtaking for such a small and slick device. 

Just like Polisy, it's an OEM product with heavy modifications for our purposes (including the BIOS/UEFI, TPM, RAM, and eMMC).

At the moment, it's called eisy. Why? because everyone used to call I.S.Y, izzy, izy, eazy, etc. Also, some think we have misspelled Polisy. So, eisy is just going to cover all the bases: includes isy, and it's easy!

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello, 

As you may know, we have been working on our next gen isy/polisy. It is beautiful and very powerful!

image.png

We did away with a lot of things (moving parts) such internal connectivity and DB9, and made a few things included by default such as WiFi 6 and BT 5.2 (and BLE), one Ethernet jack, and 4 USB ports. BLE can help us with HomeKit integration (long road ahead though). MatterZ board will be USB and plugs into one of the USB ports.

It also comes with 2 HDMI ports the purpose for which we are still debating. So, in the meantime, I keep watching 4K videos and listen to music on my Bluetooth earphones. It's breathtaking for such a small and slick device. 

Just like Polisy, it's an OEM product with heavy modifications for our purposes (including the BIOS/UEFI, TPM, RAM, and eMMC).

At the moment, it's called eisy. Why? because everyone used to call I.S.Y, izzy, izy, eazy, etc. Also, some think we have misspelled Polisy. So, eisy is just going to cover all the bases: includes isy, and it's easy!

With kind regards,
Michel

Does this mean the 2413s won't work with it?

34 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello, 

image.png

With kind regards,
Michel

Woooooowwwww.... Love! Any rough guesses when such a monster might be available?

Shoot.

Well, I applaud you developing new products, but I just bought TWO Polisys in the last couple of months, one is still packed in its shipping box. Now I'm behind the curve again.

Will the Polisy unit be development or update limited any time soon (like the ISY now), as you move to Eisy support?

Will the EISY be required for the new Z-Wave board support?

If so, any chance for hardware trade-in/upgrade discounts?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
49 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Geddy,

Unfortunately, I don't think so because PLM's wiring on RJ45 is rather eccentric ;) .

With kind regards,
Michel

It sure is a unique set of signals. Only three RS232 Send Receive and Common are in the supplied cable. Two of the others on a 2413S are TTL Level Send and Receive. On the older 2412S one of the pins is also unregulated +12V usually around 18VDC-20VDC.

• Like 1
Figured. That's a shame. Now wish I had some USB PLM rather than a couple 2413s. 

The device you posted is USB to Ethernet.

The device Michel posted gets you from usb to serial. After that a simple DB9 to RJ45 connector will do what I think you’re asking. Search for B08JLX4N6K on amazon.
1 hour ago, oskrypuch said:

Will the Polisy unit be development or update limited any time soon (like the ISY now), as you move to Eisy support?

Both use the same OS and will follow the same development path. With the exception of HDMI and BT5.2, you will be able to enjoy the same features and enhancements for at least another 3 years. And, by then, we'll either be bankrupt or have next gen gen++.

1 hour ago, oskrypuch said:

If so, any chance for hardware trade-in/upgrade discounts?

Of course, we always offer excellent upgrade discounts. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

Perfect! I'm going to trade in my ISY26 for a deep discount on one of these.

With my 2 ISY994's I should be able to get deep discounts on 994 x 2 /26 = 76 times the money back or maybe take-over UDI!

:)

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, hart2hart said:

The device you posted is USB to Ethernet.

Yes, I know...but can't it also go Ethernet to USB? Anyway @Michel Kohanim answers probably wouldn't work. 

My main thing is From PLM to ISY994 is simple RJ45 connector on both ends (modified ethernet cable). If going to Polisy we then use cable that goes from RJ45 connected to PLM to Serial connected to DB9 port on Polisy. (I forget the length of that cord.) Then with the eisy we'd need an adaptor to go from serial to USB. The link Michel provided was a 6' cord to do that. Quick search didn't really turn up anything shorter. I think there's an adaptor, and it references PL2303 Chip like seen in the cord linked above. My main desire is not to have additional wires that then have to be managed (or not, depending on your setup). 

Seems like the USB PLM crowd is going to be the big winners to connect to eisy with minimal cord alterations and extended length. 

Sounds like a fun fall ahead! 

47 minutes ago, Geddy said:

Seems like the USB PLM crowd is going to be the big winners to connect to eisy with minimal cord alterations and extended length. 

In my view, those who are banking on INSTEON comeback are going to be winners in patience, optimism, and discipline. eisy is the best solution to make them winners regardless of INSTEON. Hopefully, they can stomach a long USB to serial cable!

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Geddy said:

.... My main desire is not to have additional wires that then have to be managed (or not, depending on your setup).

Well, zip ties under the desk, should keep it pretty clean.

But I understand your OCD, I suffer from it myself.

* Orest

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello, 

image.png

With kind regards,
Michel

Given my agreement that we should hope for Insteon's triumphant return, but need to move on... AND given this new colossus' capability to become a true central hub off all things great in the smart home space... (clears throat) Will there be more robust Z-wave adjustment options? Will parameters be more clear and manageable like some of the other hubs in the space? Will associations be writable like some other hubs in the space. Will firmware updates be possible though the software.

I know that over the years there has been a "that's not really what the ISY is for" vibe around questions like this, but is seems if you are going to make a primarily Z-wave controller, and point us toward that and away from Insteon, it feels like something that should be truly integrated. I can only imagine that matter will have a whole new host of "under the hood" stuff that's adjustable, and I get that people have argued that ISY is an "external handler" and so things like associations aren't "the focus." But this sort of thing is an argument that made sense 10 years ago. 

I guess I am just asking if you will be my savior. When I want to add a device to my eisy Matterzz, will I be able to, someday confirm and update the latest firmware, adjust its settings to make sense for the install, and then add it to programs and scenes? In 2022, 0r 2026 even, will i still need to open a windows computer just for firmware updates, do complicated gymnastics to just get up to date basics, then load it into a competing Hub and adjust its parameters (sure I can do this in ISY taking exponentially more time and with more more redundancy) and then add it to the isy and attach the windows computer to that somehow and adjust the associations (saw this in another post about associations recently)?

Dear jesus I love ISY. it just makes sense to me on a level that most of the others don't. Its clean, it doesn't require a ton uf coding background, its logic is godly... but I feel like I am in my favorite room looking out the window at magic happening, and I am being told that most of what I can't do is actually standard.

Sorry if this is venting, I am trying to get off the Insteon smack and move to the Z-wave/Zigbee/Smartthings/integrations/node servers methadone and the speed bumps are making me twitchy.

Love you... take my money on whatever the next thing is. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, larryllix said:

Maybe a cloud PLM can be created and we can all share it?

@larryllix Why even use a PLM? Let's all go to Z-wave and make a huge cloud network. Can have popcorn effect all over North America! @asbril is the pioneer for the all z-wave system!

Then the reports will be great to troubleshoot, "lights are randomly turning on and off hours after hitting the button...what do I do?"

@Michel Kohanim well...cable ordered, but just caught that your link is for a female.  Ordered this one instead - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDSM6BW/   (and it's only 2.5FT!)

As @oskrypuch points out...my OCD is taking a hit! I just got all the cables cleaned up from my last adjustments. But now I'm out of bright yellow zip ties! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 7/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello, 

image.png

With kind regards,
Michel

I can not wait for this baby

• Like 2

@Samedarkclouds,

Wow ... quite a beautiful vent. I am honored and thank you so very much!

This new toy is the culmination of our disappointment with INSTEON and internal reflection. When I go to Costco (or Amazon) and can buy beautiful and gorgeous switches for less than $20 (WiFi), and when I see all the things I can do with Alexa/Google Home/HomeKit, then I wonder whether or not there's any room for UD. For instance, if Matter is as it's touted to be, and if Alexa/Google Home/HomeKit can integrate with it, and if you can do routines/triggers/schedules, why would you need eisy, HA, etc.? I would be putting my head in the sand if I do not question the value of something like eisy. Especially when it's so complex with an archaic Java interface.

The way I see it:

1. I do not think INSTEON is ever going to come back
2. I do not think Z-Wave is going to be there in the long run either. The reason: SiLabs owns Z-Wave. SiLabs is also one of the major sponsors for Matter. So, either Z-Wave is going to be Matterialized or it will slowly fade 
3. Simple use cases will be taken care of by inexpensive devices and simple apps (including Alexa/GH/HK)
4. More complicated use cases (such as energy) are either handled home energy management/automation systems (mostly because cloud dependence is not desired for energy)
5. Must be easy to use (eisy), commission, and configure (Admin Console/Java are bad. Yaml is great but not for the average user)

So, based on the aforementioned, we only have two opportunities:

1. Existing customers with Z-Wave, INSTEON/X10 who want to futureproof and/or migrate to something more modern
2. Complicated use cases such as energy management (for which we are literally masters)

And, based on the above, I decided to develop MatterZ and the very powerful eisy + @Javi is working making things easier with UD Mobile + templates for simple programs + @bpwwerhas pg3 in tip top shape, and @bmercier has developed services that can be used for Ring, @Chris is still in his dungeon solidifying Z-Wave and grappling with its monsters and critters. 

So, yes, I hope I will be your savior. Because, otherwise, UD will have to abandon the automation realm and concentrate on the utility's services.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
@Samedarkclouds,
Wow ... quite a beautiful vent. I am honored and thank you so very much!
This new toy is the culmination of our disappointment with INSTEON and internal reflection. When I go to Costco (or Amazon) and can buy beautiful and gorgeous switches for less than $20 (WiFi), and when I see all the things I can do with Alexa/Google Home/HomeKit, then I wonder whether or not there's any room for UD. For instance, if Matter is as it's touted to be, and if Alexa/Google Home/HomeKit can integrate with it, and if you can do routines/triggers/schedules, why would you need eisy, HA, etc.? I would be putting my head in the sand if I do not question the value of something like eisy. Especially when it's so complex with an archaic Java interface.
The way I see it:
1. I do not think INSTEON is ever going to come back
2. I do not think Z-Wave is going to be there in the long run either. The reason: SiLabs owns Z-Wave. SiLabs is also one of the major sponsors for Matter. So, either Z-Wave is going to be Matterialized or it will slowly fade 
3. Simple use cases will be taken care of by inexpensive devices and simple apps (including Alexa/GH/HK)
4. More complicated use cases (such as energy) are either handled home energy management/automation systems (mostly because cloud dependence is not desired for energy)
5. Must be easy to use (eisy), commission, and configure (Admin Console/Java are bad. Yaml is great but not for the average user)

So, based on the aforementioned, we only have two opportunities:
1. Existing customers with Z-Wave, INSTEON/X10 who want to futureproof and/or migrate to something more modern
2. Complicated use cases such as energy management (for which we are literally masters)
And, based on the above, I decided to develop MatterZ and the very powerful eisy + @Javi is working making things easier with UD Mobile + templates for simple programs + @bpwwerhas pg3 in tip top shape, and @bmercier has developed services that can be used for Ring, @Chris is still in his dungeon solidifying Z-Wave and grappling with its monsters and critters. 
So, yes, I hope I will be your savior. Because, otherwise, UD will have to abandon the automation realm and concentrate on the utility's services.
With kind regards,
Michel

The King! Thank you for being strategic in such a state of flux and having our back with fantastic plan. We’ve got your back too!
  • Like 3