Matter... And why do we care?

doubleshot

3 hours ago, upstatemike said:

Most people don't need it initially when they first start using Home Automation

I think that's where there's a huge definition difference. 

Home Automation is NOT the same as simple convenience of lighting control. 

Many on these forums will have some serious systems that a simple trigger might adjust lights over the period of minutes or hours. Some might have a simple trigger in the morning that ends up running programs all day long to truly automate their house.

The basic user that's looking for these "starter kits" are just starting to explore the option to be able to control a single light or a simple switch or outlet to turn a light on when the sun sets or it gets cloudy and they need more room light or to have additional task lighting during the day. These are the simple control types and not an "automation" type. This is where I see Matter really "helping" by allowing some to be able to blend products from multiple suppliers and not have to figure out the underlying app/setup for each item they buy. 

3 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You are correct. However, most do not want to put the time, effort and cost into things to make that happen. Either way, once they get to that point, they are no longer Matter's market 

EXACTLY THIS! If you're going to automate an entire home you'll most likely be in one (or two) different product lines. At least for "lighting". Where ISY/Polisy/eisy fits will continue to be the bridge that allows the node servers to control the different areas of the automation process (weather, EV charging, Solar panels, Garage/Gate openers, etc). 

I think it's a little interesting that there's so much talk/question/concern about how Matter will impact our lives when it's still being developed. Too much speculation might just lead to disappointment when it's finally "released"/implemented. It might work for the full "Automation" types, or it might only help the general "consumer/controller" type. 

Brings this all back to the original question, "Matter...and why do we care?" - Can't say I do, personally. At least not yet. I honestly don't see that it will make MY current situation any better. I realize that I have a very simple system compared to some. So I don't expect that Matter will impact me in any way. If I need to change then I'll care at THAT time. 

• Like 3

EXACTLY THIS! If you're going to automate an entire home you'll most likely be in one (or two) different product lines. At least for "lighting". Where ISY/Polisy/eisy fits will continue to be the bridge that allows the node servers to control the different areas of the automation process (weather, EV charging, Solar panels, Garage/Gate openers, etc). 

I think it's a little interesting that there's so much talk/question/concern about how Matter will impact our lives when it's still being developed. Too much speculation might just lead to disappointment when it's finally "released"/implemented. It might work for the full "Automation" types, or it might only help the general "consumer/controller" type. 

Brings this all back to the original question, "Matter...and why do we care?" - Can't say I do, personally. At least not yet. I honestly don't see that it will make MY current situation any better. I realize that I have a very simple system compared to some. So I don't expect that Matter will impact me in any way. If I need to change then I'll care at THAT time. 

This isn’t a discussion about the current state of home automation, it’s a discussion about where things are headed with home automation and IoT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 hour ago, ryarber said:

From what I’ve heard and read, only basic functions will be available in matter at first. The functions may grow over time. Setup should be simplified across devices, but companies adding features to differentiate themselves will have to rely on their own apps to achieve unsupported features. Much like we see today with current offerings.
So, while you won’t “need” vendor apps, you’ll want them to access the advanced functions.
For instance, a light switch… matter might allow you to turn on a light, turn it off, dim it to 60%, etc. But if you want a ramp rate or control the LED indicator on the switch, you might need manufacturers app.
So technically, you don’t “need” the app, but you’ll want to have that.

Once again, that is incorrect. There are developer conferences that you should sign up for which will provide factual information for where they stand with things (they just recently had the latest one).

Matter is not based on a singular app experience. What one can do will be based on different variables namely how and with what they are integrating with. 

In fact, in the very first webinar, they talked about how some vendors have already stated they will not have an interface for their devices since Matter can do the onboarding and setup directly.

With that said, not much has been said in regards to specific details to know what can out cannot be done so anything said is pure conjecture

Edited by lilyoyo1
54 minutes ago, ryarber said:

This isn’t a discussion about the current state of home automation, it’s a discussion about where things are headed with home automation and IoT.

I agree. I don't care about Matter apart from it is billed as the next standard and I want to know if it will meet my needs because currently Z-Wave, Zigbee, Caseta, Hue, Yolink, WiFi, and Bluetooth do not. 

1 hour ago, Geddy said:

Many on these forums will have some serious systems that a simple trigger might adjust lights over the period of minutes or hours. Some might have a simple trigger in the morning that ends up running programs all day long to truly automate their house.

The basic user that's looking for these "starter kits" are just starting to explore the option to be able to control a single light or a simple switch or outlet to turn a light on when the sun sets or it gets cloudy and they need more room light or to have additional task lighting during the day. These are the simple control types and not an "automation" type. This is where I see Matter really "helping" by allowing some to be able to blend products from multiple suppliers and not have to figure out the underlying app/setup for each item they buy. 

My expectations are already tempered because I know it's not designed for me and my level of automation. There may be things that i can use to make my system better (mainly because of the Isy) but the overall design isn't made for me. 

My other reasons for keeping up with it is work. I have to stay up on things so that i know how to navigate things in the future. 

Outside of that- Matter is irrelevant 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Geddy said:

You make an excellent point. For me personally the new Zwave features of the new board are way more important than the pie in the sky named Matter. As I hesitate to open my Polisy to change the board (and potentially mess up), I'l lwait for the USB version, which I can then transfer to eisy (when it comes towards the end of the year).

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

2. Unless the whole world moves to Matter, then integration with other products such as Z-Wave, etc. and/or automation, you need something like polisy/eisy

What does the term "polisy/eisy" mean? Is this a polisy box with the ZMatter board installed, or does eisy refer to some other product?

57 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

polisy- polyglot/isy

lilyoyo1, thank you for the link

Having just ordered the ZMatter card for one of my polisy boxes a few days ago, in response to the announcement email, I am surprised to see that there is a polisy replacement (eisy) on the near horizon that will use a USB version of the ZMatter hardware. It sure would have been nice if the announcement email for the ZMatter board had provided some pointers about the eisy and USB ZMatter direction. As much as I would like to have the time to be constantly scanning the ISY forums for tid bits about future UD direction, I frequently find other things that require my attention. I want to support UD, I want to keep up with UD plans and strategy, but it sure ain't easy unless you are on the forums constantly. 

@wmcneil,

I do apologize for the dearth of information. The email was targeted to those who already have Polisy. The goal was to make sure our customers do not have to jump to a new platform (eisy) just to get new features of this board. So, the way we designed the board was a) to fit right into Polisy and, if the customer chooses to move to eisy, then they can simply unplug the board from Polisy and then use our USB converter to plug it into eisy. Since we are going to continue supporting Polisy for another 3 years, it just didn't make sense to include mentions of eisy. In any case, I do apologize for not being 100% clear.

With kind regards,
Michel

23 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@wmcneil,

I do apologize for the dearth of information. The email was targeted to those who already have Polisy. The goal was to make sure our customers do not have to jump to a new platform (eisy) just to get new features of this board. So, the way we designed the board was a) to fit right into Polisy and, if the customer chooses to move to eisy, then they can simply unplug the board from Polisy and then use our USB converter to plug it into eisy. Since we are going to continue supporting Polisy for another 3 years, it just didn't make sense to include mentions of eisy. In any case, I do apologize for not being 100% clear.

With kind regards,
Michel

Michel, 

Thanks for the additional info. Good to know there will be a USB converter so that the polisy ZMatter board may be used with eisy. AFAIK, I plan to continue using my two polisy boxes for the next several years, but it is good to know the ZMatter boards could be migrated to eisy, just in case.  I have ordered one ZMatter card, and if things go well with that, I will also add one to my second polisy. If the improved ZWave range helps me, that alone will be a big help, and of course having Matter as an option looks to be very good insurance for the future.  

• Like 1

You may see a little better range (assuming the antennas don't end up in the back of a rack), but the big improvement will be the unlocking of the many Z-Wave features that we don't have access to.

UD has adopted an already built software package that will work with the new board, that should improve system management, such as updating the firmware in devices, a biggie. Use of security when adding devices. And other things. And it will be in one quick, big step.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch
  • Like 1