eisy ZMatter USB

tazman
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

12 minutes ago, tazman said:

I guess I did not even think about using it in my Polisy. I just want the eisy to show up on UD's site so I can order it!

A lot of us are. With this being up, I'm sure the eisy link will be up soon....

Z matter was sold from the start for polisy. @Michel Kohanimjust let it be known that it would work with eisy. This is just the dongle with the USB case that he talked about previously. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
1 hour ago, asbril said:

It's there and I placed my order. Now I need to order the USB enclosure for the ZMatter board.

@Michel Kohanim Can I order the ZMatter Board Enclosure (I think you mentioned something like $ 18) so that I get it at the same as the eisy that I ordered. As per @tazman is there another eisy model coming with more power/features ? (in which case I may want to wait, depending on what & when).

22 minutes ago, asbril said:

@Michel Kohanim Can I order the ZMatter Board Enclosure (I think you mentioned something like $ 18) so that I get it at the same as the eisy that I ordered. As per @tazman is there another eisy model coming with more power/features ? (in which case I may want to wait, depending on what & when).

I put in a ticket and got a quick reply from @Michel Kohanimas usual and there is only one model for the eisy so I placed my order.

• Thanks 1

As a Polisy/ZMatter owner I'll wait because there doesn't appear to be any announced enhancements for IoX and no reason for me to get one now over my current Polisy. I figured it would cost me around $750 CAD to get a complete EISY setup with ZMatter and PLM adapter here after all shipping and duty. However, this is a VERY good thing for those upgrading from ISY994i that cannot get a Polisy now and I would definitely order one if I still had my ISY994i.

I may change my mind if I start seeing new compelling features for IoX which come out first for EISY and delayed for Polisy, or not available at all (not interested in using it for watching 4K video or running HA).

1 hour ago, Vexillus74 said:

Just to confirm, I have an ISY994 which has ZWave and Insteon. If I order an Eisy, I believe I need to order the USB to Serial kit for Insteon as well as the ZMatter adapter?

Thanks!!

Yes and you also need the the DB-9 adapter that originally came with your PLM.

@MrBill You are the King of ISY with HA  :-) 

In the sales email of UD announcing the availability of eisy, it mentions that HA can be installed.

I ordered the HA Yellow Box (delivery end of January 2023) but now I wonder whether it would just be simpler to have HA on eisy, and cancel the Yellow Box. What do you think ?

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

They shouldn't need that. The kit UDI is selling has everything 

Thanks for the heads up on that I did not realize they were selling something that took it all the way to the RJ45 connection. It's very smart of them to provide an all in one solution like that.

2 hours ago, asbril said:

I ordered the HA Yellow Box (delivery end of January 2023) but now I wonder whether it would just be simpler to have HA on eisy, and cancel the Yellow Box. What do you think ?

I'll jump in here.  I don't know of any compelling reason for UDI to officially support HA on their eisy, but who knows, maybe they will.  Barring that, you can install HA on a FreeBSD box, and I'm sure it will run beautifully.  Here are some instructions to get HA running on FreeBSD: https://www.sysadsim.com/2021/03/running-home-assistant-on-freebsd.html

Unless you're reasonably comfortable as a *NIX sysadmin, then I'd stick with the Yellow Box.  Even if you get HA running using the instructions above, you'll still have to manage the software onboard your eisy, and that management will very likely involve the command line interface.  If that doesn't sound appealing, then the Yellow Box might be way, way easier to manage.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I'll jump in here.  I don't know of any compelling reason for UDI to officially support HA on their eisy, but who knows, maybe they will.  Barring that, you can install HA on a FreeBSD box, and I'm sure it will run beautifully.  Here are some instructions to get HA running on FreeBSD: https://www.sysadsim.com/2021/03/running-home-assistant-on-freebsd.html

Unless you're reasonably comfortable as a *NIX sysadmin, then I'd stick with the Yellow Box.  Even if you get HA running using the instructions above, you'll still have to manage the software onboard your eisy, and that management will very likely involve the command line interface.  If that doesn't sound appealing, then the Yellow Box might be way, way easier to manage.

Good point. As the Yellow Box is made by the HA people, one would assume that it works out of the box and that any issue will be addressed. There is of course nothing with HA that comes anywhere close to the UD customer support, but there is plenty of community info. I DO like HA as a complement to ISY. 

5 hours ago, asbril said:

Good point. As the Yellow Box is made by the HA people, one would assume that it works out of the box and that any issue will be addressed. There is of course nothing with HA that comes anywhere close to the UD customer support, but there is plenty of community info. I DO like HA as a complement to ISY. 

A bit of a side question - how in your experience does HA complement the ISY?  Are there particular features or capabilities that HA provides that aren't available directly on the Polisy/ISY system?

7 hours ago, steve-elves said:

A bit of a side question - how in your experience does HA complement the ISY?  Are there particular features or capabilities that HA provides that aren't available directly on the Polisy/ISY system?

While I have the latest Iphone, I like to use my computers (1 desk top in my home office and 2 notebooks elsewhere at home). HA provides a very neat user interface for ISY, through the ISY Integration. On my Iphone I have both UD Mobile (very powerful)  and the HA App.

Furthermore, HA has hundreds of Integrations vs just over 100 node servers with ISY. The programming of HA is inferior to ISY and there is zero support, other than user-to-user advise.

In short, HA is a nice complement to ISY.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:11 PM, Bumbershoot said:

Barring that, you can install HA on a FreeBSD box, and I'm sure it will run beautifully.  Here are some instructions to get HA running on FreeBSD: https://www.sysadsim.com/2021/03/running-home-assistant-on-freebsd.html

I'd be careful recommending this.  Note how old that post is.  I did just a little googling recently and found a lot of more recent posts lamenting the poor support for HA on FreeBSD.  Not claiming I'm an expert, though.

-Tom

18 hours ago, asbril said:

In short, HA is a nice complement to ISY.

Yep. That's what I use HA for. As a complement and a convenient interface on a browser page that I always keep loaded on my house computers. I really like that all of my Samsung TVs in the house show up with what's currently playing on them. I can control the volume, and turn them on/off from the HA interface. I can control my Squeezeboxen and what is playing on them, pause, and control the volume from that interface. Plex too. Turn the Denon AVR on/off/volume. But HA does NOT replace the (e)ISY.

• Like 1