What is the EISY?

jlegault
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

54 minutes ago, scrutch said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for Antennas? 

The Antennas come with the ZMatter card. 

https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-z-wave-matter-module-for-polisy-beta/

Enhanced Range

Start enjoying the enhanced range afforded by high caliber external antennas (on the sides) in conjunction with SiLab’s 700 series Z-Wave and Zigbee/Matter radios.

Do you have the ZMatter board already? You need to add that too. Unless you ordered the USB+ZMatter found here:
https://www.universal-devices.com/product/zmatter-usb-z-wave-matter-module-for-polisy-beta-copy/

@scrutch and @Geddy,

For what it's worth, I excluded/included a few Z-Wave devices all the way across the house (at least 60' away) before I had repeaters set up, and they excluded/included fine, though I had to try a couple of times to include a few devices (actually Zooz Zen77 dimmers).  Range seems to have improved with the new antenna/card.

• Like 1

In 2016, I moved into a new home, installed Insteon into every wall switch (except the garbage disposal, of course, because that's a really really bad idea.) I purchased the "ISY994i ZW/IR PRO Z-Wave + INSTEON + X10." Everything has been going great. The worst part is my one non-Insteon device: a Z-wave Schlage deadbolt for the front door. It works, but when it goes out to lunch is a hassle beat it back into submission. In 2020, I upgraded to the Z-Wave 500 series board which allowed me to run the latest firmware fo rthe isy994i and this did make Z-wave behave better.

The second worst part is having to install and maintain Java to fully access and configure the ISY994i. I'm reading that the eisy will have monitor ports which allow direct access using a "light weight windowing system based on XFCE." How delightful it would be to simply VNC into the eisy and operate its light weight windowing system remotely rather than installing a local java-based client on each machine that needs to connect and configure the eisy. Might this be possible or will I still have to run Java in perpetuity with the eisy?

42 minutes ago, chris.com said:

Might this be possible or will I still have to run Java in perpetuity with the eisy?

I think you're stuck with Java for now.  Someone would have to write an application to interface with the IoX software that runs on XFCE.  If someone's doing that, it hasn't been well advertised.

I think you're stuck with Java for now.  Someone would have to write an application to interface with the IoX software that runs on XFCE.  If someone's doing that, it hasn't been well advertised.

Rather than having someone write an application, I'm referring to the ubiquitous VNC remote desktop protocol. It looks like having VNC running on XFCE is possible. I would be curious to know if this is something UD has thought of and what its possibilities are.

2 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@chris.com,

Yes, but that would mean that we have to reimplement everything in GTK or QT. So, we are spending our time moving everything into UD Mobile which can then be launched in both Windows as well as MAC.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hope you will still continue to develop the existing Java interface and don't intend to replace it entirely with UD mobile!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@chris.com,

Yes, but that would mean that we have to reimplement everything in GTK or QT. So, we are spending our time moving everything into UD Mobile which can then be launched in both Windows as well as MAC.

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanim

That's very exciting news and a Herculean undertaking, I'm sure. Thanks for that update. It's particularly encouraging since you have a first rate fella like @Javiworking on it too. 👍🏻

• Like 2
11 hours ago, chris.com said:

@Michel Kohanim

That's very exciting news and a Herculean undertaking, I'm sure. Thanks for that update. It's particularly encouraging since you have a first rate fella like @Javiworking on it too. 👍🏻

However, since I am using an intel Macbook pro that is still well into its first half life ( and expensive!), I cant run the UD mobile on my Mac, since it only works on M1 Macs. Wont replace my Mac just for this reason so will need to continue to use the AC....dont need anything new to it, but that it just still works!