Support Thread: 5.0.16C (ISY994)

Athlon

Transitioned to 5.0.16C, my first 5.x. Went smoothly, and didn't lose anything, but...

Some programs now apparently do not run and as well cannot be disabled.

In Summary page, they all say:

- Not Saved -

... under Activity.

Might it help to delete and recreate the programs?

Only thing I see in the log is a line like:

Mon 05/18/2020 07:13:08 AM : [        Time] 07:13:15 2(0)

Which is what I get on a disable that works.

Also, I have a SwitchLinc that is set to run one of these programs on fast on, and one on fast off. Of course, the programs don't run. The ON and OFF button lights cycle on/off 8 times on a NORMAL on or off. (NOT fast on/off). Dunno if this is related.

I think this may actually have been an issue before the transition.

----

Edit: I deleted/recreated two of the programs. (Bedroom All On, Bedroom All Off). Now they can be disabled/enabled and they run.

Strangely, now NONE of the programs show - Not Saved - under Activity.

It appears now that all can be enabled/disabled. I'd guess they all run now, will check later.

Is this some bug with the upgrade from 4.x? Programs left if a modified but unsaved state?

2 hours ago, jtara92101 said:

Transitioned to 5.0.16C, my first 5.x. Went smoothly, and didn't lose anything, but...

Some programs now apparently do not run and as well cannot be disabled.

In Summary page, they all say:

- Not Saved -

... under Activity.

Might it help to delete and recreate the programs?

Only thing I see in the log is a line like:

Mon 05/18/2020 07:13:08 AM : [        Time] 07:13:15 2(0)

Which is what I get on a disable that works.

Also, I have a SwitchLinc that is set to run one of these programs on fast on, and one on fast off. Of course, the programs don't run. The ON and OFF button lights cycle on/off 8 times on a NORMAL on or off. (NOT fast on/off). Dunno if this is related.

I think this may actually have been an issue before the transition.

----

Edit: I deleted/recreated two of the programs. (Bedroom All On, Bedroom All Off). Now they can be disabled/enabled and they run.

Strangely, now NONE of the programs show - Not Saved - under Activity.

It appears now that all can be enabled/disabled. I'd guess they all run now, will check later.

Is this some bug with the upgrade from 4.x? Programs left if a modified but unsaved state?

Think you might have blown your UDI assist when you saved all those messed up programs. Now you need to edit every program looking for commented out lines that ISY could not convert correctly. Some will be correct already and some may have comment lines substituted. When they were not absolutely sure, they left it for the user to examine and correct as needed. They may still have yellow icons in the admin console program tree yet.

Hmmm, don't have any yellow icons, and don't think I did before.

I have some with green "frame", one with a red "frame", and most with no "frame".

I have one that has the Then in blue. Is that a comment? I can't edit the Then.

If

$Away is not 0

Then

Allow the programs in this folder to run.

I only have a few programs. I can just replace all of them.

I decided the blinky-blinky has nothing to do with programs. Its poor bridging, despite a good number of dual-band devices. Something to do to my 3-phase star/Wye wiring, I think. ;) (You had another name for it).

For reliable setup, I have to run an extension cord to the bedroom and put the PLM on the extension cord to get it on the other leg.

Oh. Edit... LOL I don't need to run the extension cord to the other room or other leg. I just need the extension cord!

OK, sure, I can just drop a long orange extension cord behind the server cabinet where it won't be seen... Is there some filter that will demonstrably help? It seems the long extension cord is a good enough filter.

I rebuilt the PLM a couple years ago. I think I have more caps if need be. And another old PLM I could rebuild. But with quality caps I installed, shouldn't be necessary.

(Going off topic here, but I know Larry knows a lot about this stuff.)

The blinky-blinky I think is "I can't talk to the PLM".

Edited by jtara92101
50 minutes ago, jtara92101 said:

Hmmm, don't have any yellow icons, and don't think I did before.

I have some with green "frame", one with a red "frame", and most with no "frame".

I have one that has the Then in blue. Is that a comment? I can't edit the Then.

If

$Away is not 0

Then

Allow the programs in this folder to run.

I only have a few programs. I can just replace all of them.

I decided the blinky-blinky has nothing to do with programs. Its poor bridging, despite a good number of dual-band devices. Something to do to my 3-phase star/Wye wiring, I think. ;) (You had another name for it).

For reliable setup, I have to run an extension cord to the bedroom and put the PLM on the extension cord to get it on the other leg.

Oh. Edit... LOL I don't need to run the extension cord to the other room or other leg. I just need the extension cord!

OK, sure, I can just drop a long orange extension cord behind the server cabinet where it won't be seen... Is there some filter that will demonstrably help? It seems the long extension cord is a good enough filter.

I rebuilt the PLM a couple years ago. I think I have more caps if need be. And another old PLM I could rebuild. But with quality caps I installed, shouldn't be necessary.

(Going off topic here, but I know Larry knows a lot about this stuff.)

The blinky-blinky I think is "I can't talk to the PLM".

I think you need to open a ticket with UDI. They know things about the inside of your ISY that we don't. I would hate to see you rebuild all this only to find out there is another problem with your ISY OS.

Maybe your old PLM is overloaded with too many links?

Of course that would be right after factory resetting my ISY, reloading the OS image and restoring my programs. :)

Edited by larryllix

I am finally ready to fire up my Polisy that I bought with the pre-order. I did the upgrade to 5.0.16C and for the most part, everything went well. I did have some issues with a few of the z-wave devices, but managed to get all back, except my Schlage door locks. I'll tackle that soon.

Then, today I tried to startup the Polisy, but it never stops beeping. I saw the messages in the WIKI and I've tried connecting the device directly to the hub, but it continues to beep. The instructions say that if it doesn't stop beeping, I'll need ssh utility, but I don't even know what that is. I need some help!

36 minutes ago, Dean said:

I am finally ready to fire up my Polisy that I bought with the pre-order. I did the upgrade to 5.0.16C and for the most part, everything went well. I did have some issues with a few of the z-wave devices, but managed to get all back, except my Schlage door locks. I'll tackle that soon.

Then, today I tried to startup the Polisy, but it never stops beeping. I saw the messages in the WIKI and I've tried connecting the device directly to the hub, but it continues to beep. The instructions say that if it doesn't stop beeping, I'll need ssh utility, but I don't even know what that is. I need some help!

I can help with the SSH utility.  I use this on windows: 

https://www.putty.org

Or you can use Terminal from a Mac by typing: ssh user@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.  User being the user name and the X's being the IP address of your Polisy.  Then it will ask for your password.

I have not had the beeping problem, so that is all the help I can offer, sorry.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dean said:

The Polisy beeping was addressed in a thread a few months ago but sorry, I can't remember what it means. IIRC it means it cannot connect to ISY, or other Ethernet problem.

I think I found it but it doesn't offer a lot of help except to open a ticket with UDI. They will fix you up.
Here, I will also ping @Michel Kohanimabout his. He is the chief cook and bottle washer.

Have you opened up the polisy to see if your Ethernet card inside hasn't fallen out?

Edited by larryllix
  • Thanks 1

Is there a manual for 5.0.16c admin console?

Alternately, can somebody explain the new device settings for dimmers?

There now is:

- On 0-100%

- Beep 0-255

- On Level - Off - 100%

- Ramp Rate 0.1 seconds - 9.0 minutes

- Backlight - 0-100%

I don't understand what "On" is. I might GUESS it is minimum level. But if I set it, then Write Changes, the turn ON and OFF,  it goes back to 0%.

On and Beep have a "disclosure arrow" and if you click it, it removes the widget for the value and says "click to specify".

I don't understand by it always sways has Backlight. An OutletLinc (for example) has a backlight?

So, this begs the question: is there a manual? I don't find this in the Wiki.

Edited by jtara92101
On 5/19/2020 at 10:04 PM, jtara92101 said:

Is there a manual for 5.0.16c admin console?

Alternately, can somebody explain the new device settings for dimmers?

There now is:

- On 0-100%

- Beep 0-255

- On Level - Off - 100%

- Ramp Rate 0.1 seconds - 9.0 minutes

- Backlight - 0-100%

I don't understand what "On" is. I might GUESS it is minimum level. But if I set it, then Write Changes, the turn ON and OFF,  it goes back to 0%.

On and Beep have a "disclosure arrow" and if you click it, it removes the widget for the value and says "click to specify".

I don't understand by it always sways has Backlight. An OutletLinc (for example) has a backlight?

So, this begs the question: is there a manual? I don't find this in the Wiki.

I don't think there is a v5 specific manual.  Take a look at the Cook Book for a bunch of good information.

"ON" is the current device status.  I believe the view of "Click to Specify" is the default status.  Once you click the arrow, you can specify the level in the drop down and the device will go to that level.  You will see that just above in the Status section. 

The "ON LEVEL" is the level that you want the device when you turn in on by pushing the physical switch or the ON button below.  The Ramp Rate is how quickly it will get to the On-Level.  Double tap on switch goes to full brightness fast.

Insteon device can beep, although my mature ears usually can hear it.  You can have several switches beep when some event happens.  I believe the numbers are like the volume.

Just ignore the Backlight for devices like LampLinc.  It is nice to be able to turn down the brightness on dimmer switches at night.  Especially in the event it is positioned so it shines in your face at night.

status.jpg

Thanks. It's an odd UI. The 4.x sliders were more intuitive. "On" is odd wording for "level"! But I know it is difficult to come up with a term that will fit all contexts. Naming is the hardest problem in software development!

56 minutes ago, garybixler said:

Hi, Is there any reason that the time area never fills in any values. The times can be selected and entered into a program but they are never shown in the time area. Only displays (...).

Version  5.0.16C

Thanks 

Gary

Capture.PNG.6eb5512e37117300f3df5b784c90615a.PNG

You have your font size turned up.  the value can't fit in a box that's fixed size.   (the font size control in the admin console is on File > Themes)  I just cranked mine up to see and yes that's what happens.

1 minute ago, garybixler said:

Thanks  @MrBill, you are correct. Seems anything above 13 won't display the time values. Eye strain!

Strangely however the for time has no problem.

Capture.PNG.fbb26765148f2a7049c7cdf5c0dbc1c5.PNG

Thanks

Gary

The funny part, is I knew exactly what the problem was when I saw your post, but didn't know the font size setting actually existed.  I like bigger too and left mine turned up and i tested the problem.

2 hours ago, garybixler said:

I just tried 16 and the time values are displayed at that font size. That works out perfectly. Font size 14 must be  an exception.

Gary

Thanks!  I just switched to 16..... this looks awesome... I can read the tree on main even with its funky magenta text ?

Hello to all. I have two questions. 

Which link would be best for the isy I have for 5.0.16C(RC1)?

-  ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave support

-  ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

I have a PLM.

I have no Z-Wave devices yet. 

I  only have Insteon door sensors and Insteon ceiling fan controllers.  

I have attached a screen shot of my about in the admin console.

isy994i.png.75ecf9460753d0e6976c7210e3258226.png

Any advice on does and don't for upgrading to 5.0.16C(RC1) would be great.

Brett

7 hours ago, BJensen said:

Hello to all. I have two questions. 

Which link would be best for the isy I have for 5.0.16C(RC1)?

-  ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave support

-  ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

I have a PLM.

I have no Z-Wave devices yet. 

I  only have Insteon door sensors and Insteon ceiling fan controllers.  

I have attached a screen shot of my about in the admin console.

isy994i.png.75ecf9460753d0e6976c7210e3258226.png

Any advice on does and don't for upgrading to 5.0.16C(RC1) would be great.

Brett

The first link is the one you want.  Here's an upgrade task list put together by forum member @hart2hart:

• Like 1

I recall this bug came up somewhere in this thread but don't know where it is. Just installed a 2843-222 Open - Close sensor today and the the Admin Console shows only two nodes.

Open / Heart Beat and no Close node?!?

I tried using start linking & new device to add the hardware without much success. This hardware was produced in 35 week of 2014 revision 1.9 / v.40 firmware. I grabbed another 2843-222 which has a production date of 2014 no week listed, revision 1.9  / v.40 firmware. Used the same two steps and only two nodes appear (Open / Heart Beat). I decided to use the Link Management -> Link Sensor -> Open/Close Sensor. The AC presented the 2843-222 listing and I added the Insteon ID / Name.

Success - All three nodes appeared in this one specific unit!

I went back and tried the same thing on the first unit and it simply won't add the 3rd (Close) node to the Admin Console?!? I'm going to complete a factory hard reset and try all three methods again to see what happens. Lastly, for the sake of trying I purposely selected the 2421 TriggerLinc option just to see what would happen - same issue. As an aside I don't recall why the AC continues to list the newer Open-Close sensors as a 2421 TriggerLinc?!?

Anyone . . .

Module 2843-222

I would suggest this because it seems to work for me

Make sure the device in not paired.

remove battery, place magnet close module ( in the correct position)

remove jumper ... don't forget the put it back when done

replace battery ( only after 10-15 sec)

After the battery is in you should get one flash ( led)

fast press for one more flash.... then...... press sw until you get led steady flash

enter ID # to pair....... you should have the 3 nodes.

if not.....and  if you have the led still flashing, short press sw...... you should see led double fast flash now delete the device.

restart pairing.

Only delete the device in the double flash node unpair.

If I don't do this on my module I get 2 nodes.

Maybe it will work for you.?

Edited by grumpy
forgot detail
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, grumpy said:

Module 2843-222

I would suggest this because it seems to work for me

Make sure the device in not paired.

remove battery, place magnet close module ( in the correct position)

remove jumper ... don't forget the put it back when done

replace battery ( only after 10-15 sec)

After the battery is in you should get one flash ( led)

fast press for one more flash.... then...... press sw until you get led steady flash

enter ID # to pair....... you should have the 3 nodes.

if not.....and  if you have the led still flashing, short press sw...... you should see led double fast flash now delete the device.

restart pairing.

Only delete the device in the double flash node unpair.

If I don't do this on my module I get 2 nodes.

Maybe it will work for you.?

Hi Grumpy,

You have attained God status in my eyes!! 

I was not able to get the sensor into the flashing state you noted up above. But, the take away for me was to remove the black jumper and place the unit into linking mode. Once done proceeded to delete the hardware and add the same back - success!

3 nodes appear in the AC . . .

Having been installing Insteon for more than ten years this little trick wasn't known to me or ever used! I thank you so very much in taking the time to reply back with such a great solution!

You Rock & Know It!!

@Teken

So this thread made me go look at the full version of the manual.   which makes no mention of the jumper block.

and then I had to walk around an inspect most of my 2843-222's  which are version 1.b date code 3815.  

the user manual doesn't mention the jumper block, although in the picture I can see where it was on the board, by the 38th week of 2015 it is just unused holes on the board.

Checking the admin console, all of my have the closed node, but I've never used that and wonder in what conditions it becomes useful?

Extra credit:  I just ordered some 2342's during the sale and had them on my desk to link today.... the date codes seem reversed v2.0 1921.... i wonder why?  especially since after the 19th week of 2021 that will become confusing.....