Message from Insteon 2/14/2023

Techman

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in my update a week ago, our next ‘Lunch with Insteon’ webinar will be this Friday, February 17 at 12pm PT. We hope you will be to join us as we have a lot of exciting information to share.

Some of the topics we will be discussing are an overview of Insteon technology, a walkthrough of recent Director app updates, and another new product announcement.  

If you cannot make it, that’s okay. We will always send out a link to a recording of it on social media later that day.

I also wanted to take a second to thank everyone who participated in the two surveys included in my last update. We got a ton of responses and are going through them as we speak.

Ken
CEO, Insteon Technologies

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, elvisimprsntr said:

I asked them in January what their plans were to support Matter, and their response was, "We are aware of the Matter standard."  Interpretation, "We have no idea and/or plans." 

They've stated a few times in the past that their new hub would support Matter

I don't see any way for Matter to be incorporated at the protocol level so for Insteon it will always be a hub integration. Since we all use Polisy/Eisy as our Insteon hub and we know it will support Matter, why do we care what Insteon does with Matter?
Better yet, I wonder when Insteon Tech (IT) is going to support hardwired Ethernet. All UDI products have had Ethernet ports on them for a decade. Maybe RJ45 plugs can be added to IT devices. /sarc off/

People..Matter is a new wireless coomunications protocol, not a hardware connection plug.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Better yet, I wonder when Insteon Tech (IT) is going to support hardwired Ethernet. All UDI products have had Ethernet ports on them for a decade. Maybe RJ45 plugs can be added to IT devices. /sarc off/

People..Matter is a new wireless coomunications protocol, not a hardware connection plug.

I'm not understanding your point. Matter is not just wireless but IP based overall. Doesn't matter if it's wireless or hardwired. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. 

3 hours ago, elvisimprsntr said:

I asked them in January what their plans were to support Matter, and their response was, "We are aware of the Matter standard."  Interpretation, "We have no idea and/or plans." 

Interpenetration: "They aren't ready to discuss it publicly".

Have you ever noticed that UD is tight lipped on certain topics?  The reason is that as soon as Michel puts something out there... even if he knows it will be awhile... people get stuck on the fact and ask "when" continually, then devolve into "this was announced way back in ___, I can't believe it still hasn't happened."   Then when the plans shifts slightly and drops A but adds B (which is much better path) people will start in with "but I was counting on A, I bought $$$$ of stuph because you said A and now it's B, if you didn't intend to A then....blah blah blah"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

I don't understand the technicalities or difference between how the Insteon hub works vs the PLM.  I can tell you one thing tho, my son uses Home Assistant with an Insteon hub (No PLM) and it works great.  The only connection from the hub to the HA machine is the Ethernet network.  The HA Insteon Integration (not to be confused with the HA Universal-devices integration) use the PyInsteon project as its base and supports PLMs 2413U, 2412S, 2448A7 and Hub models 2242 and 2245.  He can't use the insteon app anymore because he didn't renew the cloud subscription when Insteon was resuscitated.

I don't see any way for Matter to be incorporated at the protocol level so for Insteon it will always be a hub integration. Since we all use Polisy/Eisy as our Insteon hub and we know it will support Matter, why do we care what Insteon does with Matter?
yup..zinggggg! Wrong level....,( referring to my previous post.) lol.

Who cares what Insteon does with Matter?

I am not ready to throw away all my I Insteon system so I can buy Matter supported devices and I am not about to throw my PLM away so I can buy a Matter supporting Insteon Hub 3 when I have a UDI smarthub already.

Why would Matter mean anything to Insteon. Insteon is also a protocol, the same as Matter.

8 hours ago, ShawnW said:

SO.... Did anyone attend ? What was the new Product announcement?

I registered but somehow it didn't get added to my calendar.   The new product was i3 Paddle.  the link for the replay in their tweet is bad.

image.png.cf739f74ac7e50df0a010629aa1b95a9.png

Edited by MrBill

1 minute ago, MrBill said:

I registered but somehow it didn't get added to my calendar.   The new product was i3 Paddle.  the link for the replay in their tweet is bad.

image.png.cf739f74ac7e50df0a010629aa1b95a9.png

I love the paddle. It has a really smooth and quiet operation. Guess theyll release the kpl soon.

4 minutes ago, MrBill said:

The new product was i3 Paddle.

Ken said that ISY will support the new i3 Paddle, which should be available next week.

EDIT:

I don't know if this link will work: https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/play/zuI1PTw_DxoCA1r1y097HYR5tkWlneU_PZjitbH2EqpV6ALLpPEb95_c_I1bKiuz9Ob8iBIQs5BNNCmX.P5J_-M_XWF9TSxgQ?startTime=1676663973000&_x_zm_rtaid=OdopTLzVQ4SnCkRoLT9Lnw.1676728532099.b153b0b239f9c5ca527bd3db2549b934&_x_zm_rhtaid=545

Passcode is: VkL0*x?d

Edited by Bumbershoot

12 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I love the paddle. It has a really smooth and quiet operation. Guess theyll release the kpl soon.

Like the i3 Dial, the i3 Paddle can be used as either an on/off switch or a dimmer.  I hope light almond will be available...

4 hours ago, Bumbershoot said:

Does anyone who attended know when Ken said ISY will support the new I3 paddle, does this refer to ISY994i or just eISY/PoliSY?

On 2/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, Techman said:

I kinda doubt that Insteon will support matter, the reason being is that it would take away from the sale of Insteon devices.

If you compare the new i3 devices to the existing Zigbee and ZWave offerings available, I doubt that Matter will take away from the sale of Insteon devices.

All the ZWave devices I have seen look amateurish in their design. With the Zigbee devices, they seem to fall into two categories: really nice looking ones that have a touch sensitive display and then the really cheap ones. Nothing inbetween.

15 minutes ago, matapan said:

Does anyone who attended know when Ken said ISY will support the new I3 paddle, does this refer to ISY994i or just eISY/PoliSY?

No, he just said that UDI has samples and documentation, and that they intend on supporting it.  Nothing about which UDI platform, but since ISY994i is EOL, I doubt they'll support it there.