Why is this zmatter module listed as Beta?

mmb
Go to solution Solved by Michel Kohanim,

There's always the possibility that over time the hardware could be upgraded or modified based on part availability, manufacturing, technology advancements, the economy, etc.  

The smart home technology is an evolving work in progress. I started with X10 about 45 years ago, and now I have the eisy. I'm a happy camper.

• Like 2

@mmb “EOL” usually means there has been an announced time of ending support. The ISY994 just went “EOL” after 14 years. Polisy has been unavailable for quite a while so I’m not sure when you bought yours, but it’s been out for almost 4 years and UDI has said they will continue to support it for at least many years (IIRC 3-5 years might have been mentioned). Meaning that would be supported for at least 7 years (at a minimum).

Not sure what you are “annoyed” by given that amount of planned support. Considering some companies release devices and support much less time before a new product is released (I’m specifically thinking of router manufacturers).  It’s amazing the life of UDI products and their (free) support for them. It’s not without their trying to get supplies to continue the Polisy line, but was better to explore other options and release the eisy. 

I think your original question was answered clearly. If you need more clarification the best way to ask this would be directly to UDI via their “Contact Us” options on their website. The forums are mostly user-to-user support. Providing the best guess from what many of us have read and inferred from other posts on the forums. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mmb said:

Like I said EOL.

I have a < 3yr to move to EISY according the UDI.

At least I have time to weigh my options.  Annoyed? Yes...

I think you are confusing information that you've read. UDI (Michel) did say POLISY had 3 more years (less now) of support alongside EISY. Even then, if you look at the total time Polisy has been on the market, itll be 6 years total.

Reality is, most products grow obsolete after a few years because technology changes. If UDI stayed the course with the exact same product, they'll eventually get left behind and go out of business. The good thing is that your products will still work. As the end user, you can choose to stick with what you have and not upgrade or you can upgrade and take advantage of whatever features a new product brings.

For example, the zmatter stick is 700 series. In the next couple of years, 800 series devices will start coming out from en masse vs trickling out like they are now. Would you expect UDI to continue making the current dongle or come out with a new one? What about when 900 series devices hit? The same will apply to EISY as well. The chips that eisy uses will become obsolete or (potentially) the power needs will be increased due to new capabilities.

• Like 1
On 7/16/2023 at 10:43 AM, mmb said:

Like I said EOL.

I have a < 3yr to move to EISY according the UDI.

At least I have time to weigh my options.  Annoyed? Yes...

@mmb - That is absolutely untrue. It is still 100% supported by the mfg with software updates now and years into the future. Just because you can't buy a brand new Polisy does NOT make it EOL. On top of that if your Polisy were to get ill, you can directly migrate to the current version product - the eisy. 

The 14-year old ISY994 JUST hit EOL a couple weeks ago....

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ShawnW said:

@mmb - That is absolutely untrue. It is still 100% supported by the mfg with software updates now and years into the future. Just because you can't buy a brand new Polisy does NOT make it EOL. On top of that if your Polisy were to get ill, you can directly migrate to the current version product - the eisy. 

What about the people that just purchased an ISY994 three years ago?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ShawnW said:

@ShawnW we were notified by UDI when EISY about they would offer a discount to buy a EISY and support would end within 3 yrs.

Edited by mmb
11 minutes ago, tlightne said:

@Michel Kohanim Can you set the record straight once and for all on the life of Polisy??? I have asked @mmbwhere this was documented but as of today he has not produced that documentation. If us Polisy owners only have 3 years before EOL then I would like to start planning now to move to Eisy...

@tlightne I can't find the email, I did look.

I remember UDI offered a small discount for a new EISY and a timeline for Polisy EOL.

I did buy the Beta module and I'll move to EISY when the time comes.

I'm not on drugs...

Edited by mmb
1 hour ago, larryllix said:

What about the people that just purchased an ISY994 three years ago?

Unless purchased through back channels and/or used, we have not sold a 994 since mid 2019.

12 minutes ago, mmb said:

@Michel Kohanim Can you set the record straight once and for all on the life of Polisy??? I have asked

Yes of course. Polisy will be supported till at least January of 2027. 

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 5

@mmb  Yes when EISY was introduced UDI offered a $75.00 you needed to purchase your Polisy in 2019 or 2020 to qualify but I never saw EOL announced. If Michel responds we will have our answer. 

From UDI https://www.universal-devices.com/product/eisy-home/

Discounts?

Yes, in the form of trade-in and the offer expires on 01/31/2023:

• ISY994 purchased in 2019 or later: $36.00
  • Polisy2019 | 2020: $452021: $602022: $75
  • Polisy PRO2019 | 2020: $602021: $752022: $90