isy 994i to eisy

dleduc
Go to solution Solved by lilyoyo1,

It seems like I am not the only one having migration issues, but I can't sort through 1000 responses to try to match my particular issue.  Setting up my new eisy threw me for a little bit since I had already tried to unsuccessfully use UD mobile to talk to my isy 994i.  However,

it eventually let me add a new device and setting up the eisy was easy.  What is not easy is migrating my devices from the 994i to the eisy.  I only have Insteon devices so that minimizes some potential problems.  From what I could read the best way was to restore the configuration from the 994i to the eisy.  This does bring over all of the programs, but none of the devices.  Also the programs have all placeholders like "Response type 10" instead of the Insteon commands that were there formerly.  I then tried restore devices and it runs to about 4% and quits and no devices appear.  I also tried restore PLM and it has an equally short and ineffective result.  I have tried this with both a brand new USB PLM and the existing serial PLM that I have used with my 994i.

I also have a few other issues, but I will begin with just this initial setup stuff.  Can anyone help me get through this initial growing pain? Thanks.

• Solution
7 hours ago, dleduc said:

It seems like I am not the only one having migration issues, but I can't sort through 1000 responses to try to match my particular issue.  Setting up my new eisy threw me for a little bit since I had already tried to unsuccessfully use UD mobile to talk to my isy 994i.  However,

it eventually let me add a new device and setting up the eisy was easy.  What is not easy is migrating my devices from the 994i to the eisy.  I only have Insteon devices so that minimizes some potential problems.  From what I could read the best way was to restore the configuration from the 994i to the eisy.  This does bring over all of the programs, but none of the devices.  Also the programs have all placeholders like "Response type 10" instead of the Insteon commands that were there formerly.  I then tried restore devices and it runs to about 4% and quits and no devices appear.  I also tried restore PLM and it has an equally short and ineffective result.  I have tried this with both a brand new USB PLM and the existing serial PLM that I have used with my 994i.

I also have a few other issues, but I will begin with just this initial setup stuff.  Can anyone help me get through this initial growing pain? Thanks.

Did you follow the migration procedure or simply did a restore?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dleduc said:

From what I could read the best way was to restore the configuration from the 994i to the eisy.  This does bring over all of the programs, but none of the devices. 

Restore is not the way to migrate from ISY994 to eisy. You need to follow the migration instructions linked by @lilyoyo1 

Before migrating be sure to read and understand all of the instructions. Ask questions about what you don't understand before starting.

Also, be aware, you either require a USB PLM or if you want to use your existing serial PLM an adapter cable available in the UD store.

• Like 2

I was following the migration procedure.  However, when I got to "select update packages"  I could find that nowhere on the menu.  I have found that now and done it.  I also could see no obvious way to update the firmware on my 994i since the pages that I went to basically said that it was superseded.  Given the encouragement from these posts, I tried harder and I found and applied the firmware update.  Reading on from there it basically says backup the 994i and restore on the new eisy which is what I did minus the firmware upgrade.   I see the boldface that says a migration backup is different from a regular backup, but I don't see any way to make a migration backup.  The instructions also imply that this step only applies if you have zWave which I don't.  Since you encourage me to ask questions before proceeding, I am doing that.  Is there some special migration backup that I am not seeing?

5 hours ago, dleduc said:

I was following the migration procedure.  However, when I got to "select update packages"  I could find that nowhere on the menu.  I have found that now and done it.  I also could see no obvious way to update the firmware on my 994i since the pages that I went to basically said that it was superseded.  Given the encouragement from these posts, I tried harder and I found and applied the firmware update.  Reading on from there it basically says backup the 994i and restore on the new eisy which is what I did minus the firmware upgrade.   I see the boldface that says a migration backup is different from a regular backup, but I don't see any way to make a migration backup.  The instructions also imply that this step only applies if you have zWave which I don't.  Since you encourage me to ask questions before proceeding, I am doing that.  Is there some special migration backup that I am not seeing?

Yes, the process is simpler without Zwave. Here are sections you need to follow from the migration document.

What to Expect During Migration

Insteon

The Insteon network on ISY-994 will be seamlessly transferred to Eisy / Polisy. Your nodes, programs, and scenes using Insteon will remain unchanged.

Network Settings

Starting with Polisy, and due to massive support requests, we have disabled static IP configuration. Please use DHCP reservation in your router instead. The advantage of DHCP reservation is that, in case you change your router, you can still find your eisy/Polisy.

Preparing for Migration from ISY-994

On your ISY-994

Make sure the ISY-994 is upgraded to 5.3.4,

If you are not migrating your Z-Wave network

Make a backup of your ISY-994 (Admin Console | File | Backup ISY)

On the Eisy / Polisy your are migrating from

Make sure Eisy / Polisy is up to date

Go to Admin Console configuration page and select Upgrade Packages

Use (Admin Console | File | Backup ISY)

Migrating

On the Eisy / Polisy you are migrating to

Do the appropriate preparation step (see above)

Make sure Eisy / Polisy is up to date

Go to Admin Console configuration page and select update packages

If you don't have a current backup, make a backup of your Eisy / Polisy (Admin Console | File | Backup ISY)

If you are using Insteon, plug in the PLM

Use (Admin Console | File | Restore ISY) to restore either your Eisy / Polisy backup or your ISY-994 backup.

If you are using Insteon

Go to the Admin Console configuration tab and make sure INSTEON Support is enabled (default username/pwd = admin/admin)

If you are using a new PLM, Restore the PLM

Reconfigure any software utilizing to point to this Eisy / Polisy, restart the other software, if necessary.

If you have ISY Portal on your 994

Follow these instructions to migrate your account, license, and Alexa/Google Home settings

This will also migrate all node server licenses from your Polisy to Eisy / Polisy.

Have you completed all of the above?

Were there any errors?

Did you move the PLM or start with a new one?

Did you check the Insteon support box on Configuration tab and restart?

Does the PLM on eisy show connected?

9 hours ago, dleduc said:

Is there some special migration backup that I am not seeing?

I do not think this applies to you. Just reviewing the wiki the only "bolded" sections that mentions migration backups is under the portion related to moving from Polisy to eisy. I think it is/was related to the migration from another z-wave controller to the Z-Matter board. You don't use Z-wave so does not apply to you.

As @DennisC posted above the move from ISY994 to eisy with only Insteon devices is very simple. You just needed to get both devices updated. Sounds like you were not running the firmware on the ISY994 that would make the migration possible. 

I also could see no obvious way to update the firmware on my 994i since the pages that I went to basically said that it was superseded.

Could you provide a link that you reference here about not being able to find the ISY994 firmware?

All "current" releases from UDI can be found referenced on the forums in the "Current Release Announcements" area.

In the migration steps there is a link directly to 5.3.4. If you found a link that seems to imply something was superseded it would be good to know what you read so it can be updated if needed. 

However, when I got to "select update packages"  I could find that nowhere on the menu.  I have found that now and done it. 

Glad you found it, but if you're reading the migration steps it is fairly clear in the instructions:

1. Make sure Eisy / Polisy is up to date
    • Go to Admin Console configuration page and select Upgrade Packages

(Source: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Eisy:User_Guide#Preparing_for_Migration_from_ISY-994)

Hopefully you've successfully completed the process now. 

I have now successfully migrated. I did attempt to follow the migration instructions, but I originally failed.  It seems like my key failure was in failing to update the Firmware of my 994i.  I think that I might have tried, but when you click on the link you get the forum entry that tells you about the upgrade without actually seeing the upgrade.  You have to scroll down and read the whole message which is what I failed to do.  Also, the first few words on the page are nothing about needing this upgrade to migrate, it starts out by saying "This build is just a small update.  It contains a fix for unit conversion in program conditions."  That is hardly a message that encourages one to read on.  In any case I seem to be successful.  I did notice that some of my lesser used devices have apparently died since I last used them so they will probably need to be replaced.  

Just one more quick question, is the  web page access to the 994i no longer present in the eisy?  It doesn't seem to be.  I used to use it a lot when I was sitting at my computer and wanted to turn something on or off.

8 hours ago, dleduc said:

is the  web page access to the 994i no longer present in the eisy?  It doesn't seem to be.  I used to use it a lot when I was sitting at my computer and wanted to turn something on or off.

Yep, it's still there. 

Try:  http://eisy.local:8080/WEB/udajax.htm

If that doesn't work use your eisy IP address in place of "eisy.local".

There's also been talk of UD Mobile running on computers, but I haven't kept up with that because it's mostly for Mac (M# chips) and Win11 (with Android somehow) - of which I have neither at the moment.