Use cases

sjenkins

I don't see where a separate SSD is required for this (maybe I missed it).  Given audio files shouldn't be that large, I would try creating a sound directory somewhere on the exiting storage file system.

8 minutes ago, gzahar said:

I don't see where a separate SSD is required for this (maybe I missed it).  Given audio files shouldn't be that large, I would try creating a sound directory somewhere on the exiting storage file system.

Most are adding an SSD to add other items in addition to audio files that would require additional storage. Adding Home Assistant would be an example.

Edited by dbuss

6 minutes ago, dbuss said:

Most are adding an SSD to add other items in addition to audio files that would require additional storage. Adding Home Assistant would be an example.

I understand it may be needed for other reasons, but it seems some in this thread were adding just because others had and not because they needed to.  Obviously I don't know that for sure, but thought I would mention it just in case.

10 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@dbuss, can you please send me the output of:

gpart show

Also, have you already setup HA using the simple method of using ZFS without any partitions (it takes over the whole disk).

With kind regards,
Michel

I have not set up HA yet.

Here's the output as requested.

=>       40  120831920  mmcsd0  GPT  (58G)
         40       1024       1  freebsd-boot  (512K)
       1064     131072       2  efi  (64M)
     132136  106020864       3  freebsd-zfs  (51G)
  106153000    8388608       4  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
  114541608    6290352          - free -  (3.0G)

6 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@dbus,

Thank you. How about:

sudo nvmecontrol devlist

With kind regards,
Michel

nvme0: Samsung SSD 980 1TB
    nvme0ns1 (953869MB)

17 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@dbuss,

ls -al /dev/nvd0*

mount

With kind regards,
Michel

[admin@eisy ~]$ sudo ls -al /dev/nvd0*
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x50 Jan 21 10:48 /dev/nvd0

[admin@eisy ~]$ ls -al /dev/nvd0* mount
ls: mount: No such file or directory

[admin@eisy ~]$ ls -al /dev/nvd0*
[admin@eisy ~]$ mount
zudi/ROOT/default on / (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
devfs on /dev (devfs)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
storage on /storage (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/log on /var/log (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/polyglot on /var/polyglot (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
zudi/usr/home on /usr/home (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/tmp on /var/tmp (zfs, local, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/db on /var/db (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/tmp on /tmp (zfs, local, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/empty on /var/empty (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/run on /var/run (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/crash on /var/crash (zfs, local, noexec, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/isy on /var/isy (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
zudi on /zudi (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
zudi/var/db/pkg on /var/db/pkg (zfs, local, nosuid, nfsv4acls)

Edited by dbuss

@wrj0 Great News. Setting up the NVMe SSD was a success thanks to Michel's instructions on installing and configuring the SSD and your detailed instructions on permissions and mp3 file uploads. Just a little snag figuring out different paths but all went very well.

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, garybixler said:

@wrj0 Great News. Setting up the NVMe SSD was a success thanks to Michel's instructions on installing and configuring the SSD and your detailed instructions on permissions and mp3 file uploads. Just a little snag figuring out different paths but all went very well.

Thanks again.

Good work, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that there is a mini mp3 player, is there a way to get it to play an audio file on sonos (I have the sonos plug-in as well)?  I might be asking too much but my thought is if a sensor is triggered to 'open' (door/window) I can get the mini player to play an mp3 of an angry dog barking.  My actual dog might not be impressed,  but blasting a barking dog through my sonos could be a deterrent.   

• Like 1

I will admit I am not fully up to speed on this yet, but it seems to offer great possibilities.

Like many here, one of the obstacles to our hobby is a doubting spouse who wonders why we spend so much time at the computer and with open wiring in the house. [I am an old X-10 junkie who migrated (logically I think) to ISY and UD. about 8 years ago.]

A story about HA that my wife likes to tell the results of, and misses...goes like this: 

Backstory: I had interacted with another geeky guy on the X-10 side of the house on using spoken commands and voice... LONG before Alexa and Google.

I came up with a way to tell the computer ("Mike" as my wife and I called him... who spoke using a British AT&T voice) to set the time for a wake up alarm. I had a small electronic module that I could control using X-10 that would trigger and play a 30 second WAV file through a small on board speaker, placed near the bed.  I put the theme song for the "Jetson's" on it. So at X am, we would awaken to the Jetson's  music! 

At first my wife thought it was nuts, but she grew to like it and to this day says that is what she misses most about my initial HA forays. The Jetson's theme song!

I am hoping there is a way to repeat this maybe using Audio player and Alexa.

Love to hear ideas.

Chris

ps. A solution to let me surprise her on Valentine's day gets extra bonus points 

Pps. I know Alexa will play music as an alarm but it is their music and not a wav or mp3 file you can create or edit to length.

Edited by glacier991
added pps.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

is this bluetooth only?  i assume the bt radio is in the eisy.  if so, the speakers will have to be close.

maybe i look for solutions that are more whole house than others.  i have echos throughout the house - and sonos.  another single use box in every room?  

the advantage might be that setting up spoken responses are easier than echo routines.  but it is possible to do and alexa's voice is pleasant.  and i have always been impressed with the echo device sound quality (for a small box).  but the sound quality from sonos amazes me.  my todo list is to set up preferred speakers for echo devices to use sonos.  

i love my eisy (or isy or whatever) but my approach to home automation is less reliant or it compared to years ago.  With insteon, its a must have.  for other things, its nice but not involved.  i do not need the eisy for hvac control.  echo handles that. same for televisions.  (but being a nerd, i have the plugins)

i have migrated more to voice control - but only where i can avoid formulaic speech.  "turn on the den left sofa lamp" is not something anyone will ever use.  "turn on the lights" is something people will use.  with echo (and the eisy) its possible to use 'turn on the lights' in any room and it works for each room.  (when ud put in the synonym function of its portal, that was genius - it helps to reduce formulaic speak.)

i'd vote to integrate it into sonos.  but i know that could be problematic.  the best news is we now have a choice - bt speakers or echo routines.

to be clear - i am not attacking ud or its products

there are two truths in life

the day you have no bumper to bumper warranty for your bmw or mb, that is the day that i will no longer own that vehicle vehicle

the day i no longer have an isy, that is the day i rip out insteon

1. You can use your Alexa speaker as Bluetooth speaker (say Alexa Bluetooth on), scan, pair. 

2. You can connect to your Alexa speaker using an aux cable from back of eisy to your Alexa. 

3. Stereo and 4 channel Bluetooth speakers have long range. 

With kind regards,

Michel

• Like 1