Initial Feeback

Michel Kohanim

50 minutes ago, MWareman said:

I thought this was a geek batch? :P

(That being said - I have nothing against nano for those that are vi challenged....)

Is there any advantage to using vi over nano? Most of the basics seem to be the same. The colon command structure makes me cringe a bit but if it can do macro things (IIRC?) it may be worth the jump to hyperspace.

Only real advantage is I’ve never come across a *nix system that didn’t already have it installed.

Knowing vi has saved me so many times that now I’m slower with other tools.

Knowing how to edit with vi helps with other tools as well (like sed and awk)

1 minute ago, MWareman said:

Only real advantage is I’ve never come across a *nix system that didn’t already have it installed.

Knowing vi has saved me so many times that now I’m slower with other tools.

Knowing how to edit with vi helps with other tools as well (like sed and awk)

Running vi lessons in another thread? :)

Ok, so I tried something that I didn't think would work, and it didn't, but it also left the Polisy in a bit of strange state.

I'm currently developing a node server on my RPi so it's not yet listed in the store, but is installed locally.  I backed up the RPi Polyglot and then restored it on the Polisy.   Polyglot thinks everything is fine.  It lists the node server in the proper slot, says it's connected, all the configuration and node information is there. So from the GUI, it looks like everything is running just fine. However,  the git repository is not present on the Polisy. Hence, I can't view the log and there is no node server process running.  So even though it says it's connected, it obviously isn't.  I did get this in the log:

2019-10-31 15:30:01 [polyglot] info: RESTORE: WeatherBit.io configured in slot 3
 on ISY Sucessfully
2019-10-31 15:30:01 [polyglot] info: RESTORE: WeatherBit.io ISY Restored verifin
g WeatherBit.io code installation...
2019-10-31 15:30:01 [polyglot] error: NodeServer WeatherBit.io not found in the
store. Can't reinstall.
2019-10-31 15:30:01 [polyglot] info: RESTORE: Restore has been completed. Shutti
ng down Polyglot in 5 seconds.

It seems like the backup/restore should either include the git repositories or should actually fail to install the node server if it can't find it in the store.

Is anyone else using a Mac with the Catalina OS on it to access Polisy?  Ever since upgrading to this OS, I've been seeing issues with accessing Polyglot using different browsers on this platform.  Unfortunately, the issues seem to also apply when accessing Polisy.   

I can access Polyglot/Polisy using Firefox, but if I use Chrome I get an error (see attached "Privacy Error 1.png") and am unable to proceed.  I see a similar issue when using Safari (see attached "Privacy Error 2.png"), but while it looks like you can get to the site by clicking on "visit the website" ... that doesn't actually work.

I've tried this using two different Macs running Catalina and the results are the same.  I've also tried accessing Polyglot/Polisy using Mojave and, while a privacy error is displayed, there's an option that still allows me to get to the app.  

Just wondering if this is something unique with my systems, or if there's an underlying compatibility issue with MacOS, various browsers, and Polyglot/Polisy.   I think Catalina tightened down a few things from a security perspective, but it would be a shame for MacOS users running the latest OS to run into this when broader distribution occurs. 

Privacy Error 2.png

Privacy Error 1.png

11 minutes ago, dwengrovitz said:

Is anyone else using a Mac with the Catalina OS on it to access Polisy?  Ever since upgrading to this OS, I've been seeing issues with accessing Polyglot using different browsers on this platform.  Unfortunately, the issues seem to also apply when accessing Polisy.   

I can access Polyglot/Polisy using Firefox, but if I use Chrome I get an error (see attached "Privacy Error 1.png") and am unable to proceed.  I see a similar issue when using Safari (see attached "Privacy Error 2.png"), but while it looks like you can get to the site by clicking on "visit the website" ... that doesn't actually work.

I've tried this using two different Macs running Catalina and the results are the same.  I've also tried accessing Polyglot/Polisy using Mojave and, while a privacy error is displayed, there's an option that still allows me to get to the app.  

Just wondering if this is something unique with my systems, or if there's an underlying compatibility issue with MacOS, various browsers, and Polyglot/Polisy.   I think Catalina tightened down a few things from a security perspective, but it would be a shame for MacOS users running the latest OS to run into this when broader distribution occurs. 

Privacy Error 2.png

Privacy Error 1.png

Not being Geek enough, I don't yet have a Polisy, but experienced the same to access my RPi Polyglot on my Macbook Air using  Chrome. However, no problem with access using Safari.

9 minutes ago, asbril said:

Not being Geek enough, I don't yet have a Polisy, but experienced the same to access my RPi Polyglot on my Macbook Air using  Chrome. However, no problem with access using Safari.

You're luckier than I am with Safari.  I wonder if something needs to be updated on the certs being used by Polyglot and Polisy to fix this. 

37 minutes ago, dwengrovitz said:

Privacy Error 2.png

Privacy Error 1.png

LOL! Polyglot has never had any certificates that work. On your LAN, just ignore it.

Some day valid certificates will be installed, https will be dropped, or you can generate your own certificates if you believe in the security of certificates.

34 minutes ago, larryllix said:

LOL! Polyglot has never had any certificates that work. On your LAN, just ignore it.

Some day valid certificates will be installed, https will be dropped, or you can generate your own certificates if you believe in the security of certificates.

Sorry ... I was just hunting for solutions or workarounds.  Perhaps the issue I'm seeing is related to changes Apple recently implemented with TLS server certificates?  I don't know how directly relevant this is to what's going on with the Polyglot/Polisy system, but at least one other person has run into the problem I'm seeing with not being able to access the app via Chrome. 

A bit more research on my end located the following:

Apple has introduced a series of new requirements for SSL certificates to be accepted by Catalina, documented at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176. To summarize:

- Key size must be at least 2048 bits.
- Hash algorithm must be SHA-2 or newer.
- DNS names must be in a SubjectAltName, not in the CN field only.

For certificates issued after 2019-07-01:

- The ExtendedKeyUsage extension must be present, with the id-kp-ServerAuth OID.
- The validity period may not be longer than 825 days.

Interestingly ... there's a workaround on Chrome if one runs into this problem when accessing Polyglot or Polisy.  When the error message is displayed about the connection not being private, you can click somewhere on the page and then blindly type "thisisunsafe".  This will instantly bypass the warning.  Not sure this is a great solution for the long term, but it did allow me to get to the app directly via chrome.   

50 minutes ago, dwengrovitz said:

Sorry ... I was just hunting for solutions or workarounds.  Perhaps the issue I'm seeing is related to changes Apple recently implemented with TLS server certificates?  I don't know how directly relevant this is to what's going on with the Polyglot/Polisy system, but at least one other person has run into the problem I'm seeing with not being able to access the app via Chrome. 

A bit more research on my end located the following:

Apple has introduced a series of new requirements for SSL certificates to be accepted by Catalina, documented at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210176. To summarize:

- Key size must be at least 2048 bits.
- Hash algorithm must be SHA-2 or newer.
- DNS names must be in a SubjectAltName, not in the CN field only.

For certificates issued after 2019-07-01:

- The ExtendedKeyUsage extension must be present, with the id-kp-ServerAuth OID.
- The validity period may not be longer than 825 days.

Interestingly ... there's a workaround on Chrome if one runs into this problem when accessing Polyglot or Polisy.  When the error message is displayed about the connection not being private, you can click somewhere on the page and then blindly type "thisisunsafe".  This will instantly bypass the warning.  Not sure this is a great solution for the long term, but it did allow me to get to the app directly via chrome.   

None of that is necessary. I run into it every time. Just ignore the warning, using the "visit this website". The attacker stuff is hype on your own LAN connections.

17 minutes ago, larryllix said:

None of that is necessary. I run into it every time. Just ignore the warning, using the "visit this website". The attacker stuff is hype on your own LAN connections.

Just curious ... are you running the same environment I am (Mac/Catalina)?  On my machine, there's no simple way to ignore or get past the warnings.  If I use Chrome, I cannot get to Polisy without typing "thisisunsafe" to dismiss and bypass the warning (and that's not exactly an obvious solution).  And if I use Safari, there's an option on the privacy message that says "visit this website" but it doesn't work. Selecting that option just redisplays the "this connection is not private" message.  

I'm not worried about attacker stuff on my internal LAN ... I'm just pointing out some access issues that, if resolved, might make it a bit better experience for other Mac users running Catalina when they try to get their Polisy running. 

I need to delete the node servers in the data base. Everything seems to be overlapping. I tried this command but does't seem to work. The normal delete from the poly UI doesn't work.

mongo polyglot --eval "db.nodeservers.remove({'name': 'ISY Portal'})"

Thanks Gary

Ok I didn't uninstall the nodes but still  when I install a server I get 8  install messages "nstalled into ISY sucessfully. Profile uploaded, restart Admin console."ll

Info between node servers  is being shared with each other.

Update: I realized that multiple Polyglots were running. All seems good now.

Thanks Gary

Finally got my NRbridge RGBWW bulb software installed under polisy! Took a lot of ownership and permission changing, moved files in with Filezilla, and entered a bash script into crontab. Not the best to start things up but I couldn't find rc.local or any other method to do an automatic startup.

Only a few more packages to move over now.

Boy! vi is a technology jump back to the 1970s. Started to install nano but too many necessary system things are missing to install port...whatever that is. :( I don't need another 50K x  files on my polisy, either.

Archived