No Nodelink

garybixler

Hi

Well, after reading through the Nodelink forum it appears that Nodelink will never be migrated into the Polisy. So I am wondering if maybe some devices supported in Nodelink could be created as NS in Polisy. My last remaining devices would be the Venstar ColorTouch thermostat and Genmon. I would really like to retire the Rpi.

Thanks 

Gary

I think io_guy has done some Polyglot nodeserver work before - don't know if he would be up for making specific nodeservers for any of these devices. The nodelink code itself is not on Github (so I assume no open license) and thus the nodeservers would have to be developed from scratch by anyone else. In my experience, this means the developer would need to have access to the devices to develop the nodeserver. In the couple of limited cases where I have developed nodeservers for devices that I don't own, relying on others to test, it is not easy. You have to have a pretty dedicated alpha user(s) who's flexible with their time.

11 hours ago, garybixler said:

Hi

Well, after reading through the Nodelink forum it appears that Nodelink will never be migrated into the Polisy. So I am wondering if maybe some devices supported in Nodelink could be created as NS in Polisy. My last remaining devices would be the Venstar ColorTouch thermostat and Genmon. I would really like to retire the Rpi.

Thanks 

Gary

That is disappointing.

Hi everyone, it's indeed quite disappointing. All we need is a volunteer who can compile .net for FreeBSD 12.1. Once that's done, then the rest is quite easy. Do we have anyone?
With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel,

I understood from another thread the major barrier is simply Polyisy Pro is using a different (newer)version .NET / other?

No??

Can the team not just make the older version available on the Polyisy Pro until such time as other elements get updated? I understand the company always wants to be using the very best technology to insure security. But a perfect example is the adoption and depreciation of 1.0, 1.1 TLS etc.

Is there such a high threat in implementing a older version of what ever prerequisite software framework?

Speaking only from a perspective of a consumer making Node Link available on this platform will surely increase sales and future adoption. I personally don’t use any of these applications but it appears there are more than enough loyal fans and customers that do.

If the team could reflect upon the above maybe an interim middle ground could be found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Teken,

That's correct. What you are requesting is analogous to downgrading from Windows 10 to Vista. Openssl is compiled into the OS and is not a package.

I hope someone can compile .net for the latest Openssl.

With kind regards,

Michel

Morning Michel,

Just spit balling some possible solutions:

- Polyglot Cloud: Run this in a *Virtual Machine*.

As always, appreciate the insight and feedback.

21 minutes ago, Teken said:

Polyglot Cloud: Run this in a *Virtual Machine*.

One of the beauties of NodeLink is that, I believe, most devices that it supports use a local API (at least one device, Ecobee, has a cloud API).  For my own interests, I wouldn't be supportive of putting NodeLink in the cloud, which would reduce the advantage of using the devices it supports.  Speaking entirely for myself, running an RPi on my network to support NodeLink and keeping API's local is worth the expense and effort.

As an aside, it appears that about a third of the devices supported by NodeLink have already been ported to Polyglot.

I agree. You're talking $45 and about 30 minutes worth of time to put a Nodelink RPi in place. Plus I believe a lot of the folks asking already have it running, and just want to migrate everything to a single device (Polisy). I think eventually the devices will migrate to Polisy via nodeserver support, especially if and when the ISY code is running on the Polisy as well and the nodeserver interfaces sheds the HTTP REST layer - even if it means throwing a few community dollars @io_guy's way.

16 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

One of the beauties of NodeLink is that, I believe, most devices that it supports use a local API (at least one device, Ecobee, has a cloud API).  For my own interests, I wouldn't be supportive of putting NodeLink in the cloud, which would reduce the advantage of using the devices it supports.  Speaking entirely for myself, running an RPi on my network to support NodeLink and keeping API's local is worth the expense and effort.

As an aside, it appears that about a third of the devices supported by NodeLink have already been ported to Polyglot.

100% agree regarding keeping it *Local First vs Cloud First*. But as noted this could be an interim break fix for those really wanting to use such Node Link features and device / service support. As you also stated correctly for the benefit of others reading this its not that Node Link isn't available on the Polyglot Framework. It's not currently ported over to be used on the Polyisy Pro because the the version of FreeBSD in place now isn't using the older OpenSSL.

NodeLink should run on Polisy.  Everything should run on Polisy, as a matter of policy.  (sorry... couldn't resist.)

Given what I understand about the technical issue, it shouldn't be hard to resolve this -- it's a matter of who's going to do it (seems to be an expectation that it's UDI's job to provide a dot-net-core runtime, and I think UDI would rather the community do it...)

As an aside on this, one of the things I've been playing with is the notion of FreeBSD "jails", which unfortunately are not nearly enough like Docker containers, but it might be a means to isolate the official UDI environment on the Polisy from unique demands that some other application might have.  To be clear, I don't believe that to be necessary with NodeLink -- the version conflict is trivial enough that it should be a simple fix.  But there are solutions for cases where an application needs to be completely sandboxed/isolated from Polyglot and the UDI "udx" management.

No offense to @io_guy or anyone else who has worked so hard on NodeLink over the years, but Polyglot is the future and that's where the effort needs to go moving forward.  I'm in the camp that I don't want to have to run and maintain 2 different node servers.  I was thrilled when RainMachine was available for Polyglot as it was the last thing I was still running on NodeLink.  I will be even more thrilled when the ISY moves to Polisy and I have just the one pretty blue box.

1 hour ago, mwester said:

NodeLink -- the version conflict is trivial enough that it should be a simple fix. 

This shows you do not understand the depth of the actual issue with NodeLink running on BSD.

NodeLink is written in C# running on .Net Core. 

.Net Core is a Microsoft developed/maintained .Net runtime that does NOT support BSD.  Period.  End of Subject. 

To run NodeLink on Polisy would require reversing all of the changes @io_guy made to move it to .Net Core back to using .Net Standard and then fingers crossed there might be some tiny bit of hope of running it on BSD using the Mono Project which in my own experience running on Linux it's a piece of ..... and things just don't work quite right. 

Reality check.  Run NodeLink on a rPi and be happy or pay someone to develop the NodeServers that you require.  Or learn and write them yourselves.

12 minutes ago, simplextech said:

This shows you do not understand the depth of the actual issue with NodeLink running on BSD.

Ouch.

Since the author of NodeLink has posted numerous times that it is already running on a Polisy (using dotNet-Core, compiled and built for FreeBSD), I generally assume that to be the truth.  But since I don't understand, I'll bow out of the discussion.

30 minutes ago, mwester said:

Ouch.

Since the author of NodeLink has posted numerous times that it is already running on a Polisy (using dotNet-Core, compiled and built for FreeBSD), I generally assume that to be the truth.  But since I don't understand, I'll bow out of the discussion.

Sorry.  I'm moody today with work.  People keep referencing the OpenSSL issue and it's deeper than that.

There's a lot of issues with .Net Core on BSD of any flavor.  If @io_guy has it running on Polisy with a custom compiled runtime then this whole thread is moot as he's done the work.  Yet not released it?  I know io_guy has been moving and in transition of things and not much time.  So I think patience will be key here. 

Archived