Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

On 10/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, smacbride said:

Ok thanks, mine says 4.55.00 so I guess I need to upgrade the chip.

I too am on the 4.55.00 version. In all the posts, it is always referenced as 500 or 300 series board, and yet in all the Info menu items, this is never reported, just "Zwave 21100", or Zwave 4.55.00.... Why do we have to create so much confusion on something like this?  It would be nice if the nomenclature being used matched what was available in the ISY Get info options. ...Just sayin'

On 11/18/2020 at 10:13 PM, nathan said:

Final edit: Michael@UDI has confirmed this is a known issue and is being worked on. You probably don't want to upgrade if you rely on locks via ISY until this is fixed, at least Yale/YRD110 style locks.

Final edit edit ?: Michael confirmed that restoring 5.0.16C and then 5.0.16C backup would put me back in working order. I just did that and things are working again. I will give the latest version a go again once the Yale fix is in.

@nathan Thanks for your posts. Have been debating to upgrade from 5.0.16c to 5.3, which would include upgrading my Zwave dongle, but I am using 3 YRD120 locks with Zwave, not Zwave Plus, so will avoid the upgrade for now, assuming the 3rd 120 will have the same problem. 

Will wait. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbwarner5 said:

I too am on the 4.55.00 version. In all the posts, it is always referenced as 500 or 300 series board, and yet in all the Info menu items, this is never reported, just "Zwave 21100", or Zwave 4.55.00.... Why do we have to create so much confusion on something like this?  It would be nice if the nomenclature being used matched what was available in the ISY Get info options. ...Just sayin'

The 4.55.00 version refers to the zwave firmware for the series 300 dongle, not the dongle series itself. The newer 500 series dongle does not have a light on it, so you can tell just by looking at your ISY.

Also, the firmware version is different.

Light vs no-light.  4.55.00 == 300.  Z-Wave 21100 doesn't mean either 300 or 500.  Dbwarner is absolutely right -- this is a muddled mess of numbering that makes identification frustrating.

Right now, all we can post are the helpful "cheat-sheets" and "if you see this over here, and your firmware version is that over there, then you have the 500 series board" sorts of heuristics -- and that's necessary 'cause it's all we have right now.

But none of those heuristics really change the fact that what we all need is for UDI to update the dang firmware so that it says "Z-Wave module 300" or "Z-Wave Plus module 500" or in the future "Z-Wave Mega-Stupendous module 900" (or whatever the z-wave folks will call that z-wave version!).  The ideal place for that would be in the "About" or "Help" menu choices.

Alas, for now, all we have are these infuriatingly-geeky-and-techy heuristics. :-(

• Like 2

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since it's related to my migration to the 500 board and 5.3, I figured I'd try. The migration was iffy. A dozen or so zwave devices did not make the migration, which I expected. So now I am going through the process of repairing. The first one I tried is a Kwikset lock. Removed it and then added again with the lock next to the ISY. Magic - worked great. But I move it 15ft away and it can't communicate. Which tells me I need to get the Lock to connect to neighbors. There used to be a function called "heal" in the 300 series board to do this, but I don't see a similar function. I've tried everything, but it comes down to not have a way to get other devices that are closer to the device add it to the routing. Any thoughts?

25 minutes ago, jlegault said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since it's related to my migration to the 500 board and 5.3, I figured I'd try. The migration was iffy. A dozen or so zwave devices did not make the migration, which I expected. So now I am going through the process of repairing. The first one I tried is a Kwikset lock. Removed it and then added again with the lock next to the ISY. Magic - worked great. But I move it 15ft away and it can't communicate. Which tells me I need to get the Lock to connect to neighbors. There used to be a function called "heal" in the 300 series board to do this, but I don't see a similar function. I've tried everything, but it comes down to not have a way to get other devices that are closer to the device add it to the routing. Any thoughts?

Right click the device and look through the various menus. I believe there is something there that I think is called heal or heal network. That should help.

If not, try synchronize all.

36 minutes ago, jlegault said:

Right click on device and choose update neighbors

7 hours ago, Michael Islek said:

Dear Sir/Madam

We are trying to upgrade from 5.0.16RC to 5.3 and getting an error "Upgrade Failed: Failed uploading file (reported written size is invalid)". Any help would be greatly appreciated

Please try downloading the file again, its possible the file your loading to the ISY is corrupt.   Be certain that you're downloading the correct file for your ISY (PLM vs No PLM), and don't unzip it after download, just upload it to the ISY as is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Islek said:

Dear Sir/Madam

We are trying to upgrade from 5.0.16RC to 5.3 and getting an error "Upgrade Failed: Failed uploading file (reported written size is invalid)". Any help would be greatly appreciated

This error occurs fairly frequently with folks attempting to upgrade.  The post linked below is in response to another user having the same problem.

Hi! I'm trying to update my isy994i/IR Pro from v4.8.0 to current release. I'm using a iMac and have been for years without trouble. My macOS is Catalina 10.15.7.  Updated my Java to current version, cleared, and restarted the Admin. I get an error message as below stating "upgrade failed: java.util.zip.zipexceptions: error in opening zip file."  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

245084453_ScreenShot2021-01-03at13_24_25.png.cc7f22bfada1185f8fb4d7bc5078ef31.png 

All looking good so far on 5.3.0 w/ 500 Z-Wave installed

Thank you UDI Team for all you do & keeping up with your products. Truly outstanding and a show of commitment to your community and customers. 

Happy New Year and be safe.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dexmot74 said:

No one has done this? Thanks

I saw a post where someone did but need to search for it. I recall all was ok. But the instructions do say to upgrade the 500 first so there must be a reason. I also recall that upgrading from 5.0.16C only benefits Z-Wave so if you don't have any it is really not necessary? 

15 minutes ago, dexmot74 said:

No one has done this? Thanks

So this is for 5.2.0 - Can't say for 5.3.0 so use carefully. I would upgrade to 500 personally to avoid any issues and have the latest anyway. 

Edited by sdynak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sdynak said:

I saw a post where someone did but need to search for it. I recall all was ok. But the instructions do say to upgrade the 500 first so there must be a reason. I also recall that upgrading from 5.0.16C only benefits Z-Wave so if you don't have any it is really not necessary? 

I am basing this comment on my experience with obsoleted hardware and new software.   Since you do not have any Z-Wave devices, remove the old Z-Wave board.  Then you should be good to go.

An opinion: I started getting Z-Wave devices when Insteon/Smarthome stopped offering the very functional motion sensor.  I am not looking forward to the day when the ones I have crap out.  I have since gotten a Z-Wave thermostat and a couple outlet switches and once configured (which can be painful) they work just as well as Insteon.

2 minutes ago, Old Surfer Dude said:

I am basing this comment on my experience with obsoleted hardware and new software.   Since you do not have any Z-Wave devices, remove the old Z-Wave board.  Then you should be good to go.

An opinion: I started getting Z-Wave devices when Insteon/Smarthome stopped offering the very functional motion sensor.  I am not looking forward to the day when the ones I have crap out.  I have since gotten a Z-Wave thermostat and a couple outlet switches and once configured (which can be painful) they work just as well as Insteon.

I agree with you about that.  I really dislike the new motion sensors, relative to the old Insteon sensors. 

I got Z-wave because I found the Insteon ceiling fan controller not to be great.  GE ones are better and use a paddle interface.

I may also get z-wave motion sensors, but I don't think I have enough z-wave in my house for a strong enough network.  I only have one door lock and three fan controllers. The rest is all Insteon.

16 hours ago, ctviggen1 said:

I may also get z-wave motion sensors, but I don't think I have enough z-wave in my house for a strong enough network.  I only have one door lock and three fan controllers. The rest is all Insteon.

I prefer Insteon as well for lighting, but I don't prefer the Insteon MS II motion sensors.  The Mrs. chafes a bit at motion sensors stuck on the walls anyway (calls them "barnacles"), so I've slowly been migrating, where reasonable, to GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Light Switches.  These switches are Z-Wave repeaters with an inbedded motion sensor, and you can buy them either as a dimmer or an on/off switch.  Are they as configurable as Insteon switches?  No, but they work reliably, and they can improve the robustness of your Z-Wave mesh.  They're smaller and easier to install than Insteon switches as well, which I appreciate.  They only have white or light almond paddles, but that's not a problem for me.

EDIT: I have a 500 series Z-Wave dongle in my ISY, so I'm able to include these devices into my Z-Wave network from their installed location -- I just install them into their junction box, then include them.  The ISY sees them fine.

Edited by Bumbershoot
  • Like 1

So I have done everything. I tried 2 different 500 boards, I tried an extender/repeater, I tried positioning the ISY in other locations. I tried every option/menu that is available, I tried using a minimote as an inclusion controller, did not work. I tried everything that UDI suggested. Bottom line is that the 500 board did not work no matter what I did. I was unable to add any Z-Wave devices that were not basically next to the ISY.  It is impractical to move it around when switches are all over the house. I wasted a significant amount of time on this and some money as well. I ended up reverting to the 300 series board with a 5.1 release.  It was a bit flaky, I guess because it is an RC, but in the end I was able to get everything added and working. All in all a pretty frustrating experience. I did end up with a cleaner setup in the end as I basically ended up wiping out all the non-Insteon stuff and it's always cleaner the second (i wish) time around. IMHO the 500 board is defective, at least from my experience. I get that UDI spent money getting it all certified and what not but if it does not work in the field it really does not matter.  The only solution that they suggested that worked was to revert to the old board and run an earlier version.

FWIW, it is stories like this that are keeping me from upgrading to the 500 series board and > 5.0.16.  I have no need to upgrade, but I'd like to stay current if possible.  I only have a few Z-Wave devices, but I don't want them to stop working.

-Tom

12 hours ago, tom.karez@gmail.com said:

So I have done everything. I tried 2 different 500 boards, I tried an extender/repeater, I tried positioning the ISY in other locations. I tried every option/menu that is available, I tried using a minimote as an inclusion controller, did not work. I tried everything that UDI suggested. Bottom line is that the 500 board did not work no matter what I did. I was unable to add any Z-Wave devices that were not basically next to the ISY.  It is impractical to move it around when switches are all over the house. I wasted a significant amount of time on this and some money as well. I ended up reverting to the 300 series board with a 5.1 release.  It was a bit flaky, I guess because it is an RC, but in the end I was able to get everything added and working. All in all a pretty frustrating experience. I did end up with a cleaner setup in the end as I basically ended up wiping out all the non-Insteon stuff and it's always cleaner the second (i wish) time around. IMHO the 500 board is defective, at least from my experience. I get that UDI spent money getting it all certified and what not but if it does not work in the field it really does not matter.  The only solution that they suggested that worked was to revert to the old board and run an earlier version.

So it worked with 5.3.0 and the 500 board if it were right next to the device? I see you reversed to a 5.1 release & 300 but what has been your upgrade path to that point? Meaning.. what release were you on last with all working with 300. 

Something seems odd with your specific environment maybe. You used 2X 500 boards? Did you purchase another because you thought the 1st was not ok? I don't know specifics on the board differences but I wonder if something is conflicting in your environment from the 300 to the 500. Not sure how best to isolate but I wonder if the setup was a new config from scratch what your experience might be. I know you have already seem to be fed up so not sure if you are still willing to sort out. 

So far I have not seen any change good or bad moving to the 500 & 5.3.0 but I have not added or changed anything since and only have 2x z-wave devices. One is about 20 ft. from my ISY (front door lock) and the other in my basement water shut off and they both work fine still. No repeaters or extenders. 

Edited by sdynak

@tom.karez@gmail.comI looked up the Linear WD500Z-1 and these appear to be based on the older 300-series Z-Wave chip. These don't support Network Wide Inclusion so yes, ISY is probably going to need to be within a few feet of each switch to be able to include into your system. The operating distance with these devices should be greater once included.

In these situations, I know that some have temporarily used an extension cord to move ISY near these devices for inclusion. After inclusion, some have found it good to position ISY horizontally and use a Z-Wave repeater nearby.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1032/embedpics

Edited by gviliunas

I did try the repeater thing. I did not want to run around adding things that might not work later so I did not try that. Not really an engineer by any measure. The old board had no problem seeing all of my devices from it's home in my office. It was odd that I could add one switch that was co-located in the same 4 gang box with another one that would never add. Both the same model switch.  Both these switches were less than 10 ft. from the ISY, no matter the orientation. To me there was something wrong when that happened and after trying the repeater I basically gave up and decided to put the old system back together. Just finished getting it all working again and tied to Google Home and what not. I assume that the new board would just add new functionality for z-wave plus, did not expect degradation of performance from the earlier product. I used to have another z-wave controller and it worked fine throughout the house as well. In any case I am giving up and getting back to a working system. Tired of having to turn on the garage lights by hand.  Tom

1 hour ago, tom.karez@gmail.com said:

I did try the repeater thing. I did not want to run around adding things that might not work later so I did not try that. Not really an engineer by any measure. The old board had no problem seeing all of my devices from it's home in my office. It was odd that I could add one switch that was co-located in the same 4 gang box with another one that would never add. Both the same model switch.  Both these switches were less than 10 ft. from the ISY, no matter the orientation. To me there was something wrong when that happened and after trying the repeater I basically gave up and decided to put the old system back together. Just finished getting it all working again and tied to Google Home and what not. I assume that the new board would just add new functionality for z-wave plus, did not expect degradation of performance from the earlier product. I used to have another z-wave controller and it worked fine throughout the house as well. In any case I am giving up and getting back to a working system. Tired of having to turn on the garage lights by hand.  Tom

Very sorry things are not working out for you Tom. I know how frustrating it can be with the amount of time spent. Maybe in time there will be some answers and future updates might resolve so you can take advantage of the latest. I wish I had more insight to Z-Wave to help. With only 2 devices I have not spent much time there and trying to help with what my experience was with the upgrade. Wishing the best on future expansion & upgrades. Someone with a wealth more experience than me can chime in. Best Stan