Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

1 hour ago, Clif said:

I did a little more research on this. What I see, in the Admin Console, I tried once more to add the New Insteon Device. I then went through the list of supported devices, and my 2 new devices are no longer there.   I have 2 other sets of these devices running for years. Why are they no longer available to add?

Does your UI and firmware both match

13 hours ago, Clif said:

The problem is not with t he new light switch. It is with the Admin Console not having the Device Type anymore!

image.png.d5a0f848a2d10a2618fba11ff003640b.png

The 2477D is in 5.3.3 (see screenshot).  Also the MS II can be added from the menu tree:

"Link Management | Link a Sensor | Motion Sensor II"

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 5.20.18 AM.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clif said:

The problem is not with t he new light switch. It is with the Admin Console not having the Device Type anymore!

image.png.d5a0f848a2d10a2618fba11ff003640b.png

If that was the case, it would still add to the isy. It would simply say unsupported device type (something along those lines).  With that said, it is still in the console. 

Edited by lilyoyo1

My light switch ID is 52.81.01.  When I put that ID in the address field, that is when I get the message that it cannot determine the Insteon Engine. it then just goes away without adding it.

1 hour ago, Clif said:

My light switch ID is 52.81.01.  When I put that ID in the address field, that is when I get the message that it cannot determine the Insteon Engine. it then just goes away without adding it.

The Id could be incorrect. Follow the instructions i gave previously and you don't have to worry about typing in the id

Edited by lilyoyo1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Clif said:

I've had this problem... I bet the 0 is a D

I've also had one older device that just flat out had an incorrect address label on it.  It was a device with a separate address and Rev label.

1 hour ago, Clif said:

FYI- if the ISY is not aware of an insteon device, it will still add due to how the protocol works. However, since it is not part of the isy data base, it will not have the necessary information needed to have the proper settings of the device. You would get a different message during adding and how it shows up.

Since yours says that it cannot determine insteon engine, its recognizing what the device is and so forth....Its just not able get all the information it needs to complete the process. Most times, this comes down to communication between the ISY and device, incorrect code for what that device is reporting, or something happened at the factory which a factory reset wipes out.

I attached an image of what you would receive if the ISY did not have the 2477d in its database.

Snip1.PNG

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! I finally got it working tonight! What I did for the light switch, was pit the system in the 'Start Linking' mode, then held the button on the light switch for a couple of seconds until it beeped. They system then found it and added it!  

As for my new motion sensor, I had to add it, by going to the Link Management, then Add a Sensor, then select Motion Sensor II. It added itself then as well.

I appreciate all the people on this forum who help out!

Edited by Clif

Last week I replaced my 10yo ISY994ir that also had a 2 yo Z-Wave dongle that I installed. I replaced it with a new ISY994ir ZW+Pro.

My backup was firmware 5.0.16C. When I did a restore it transferred the same firmware (5.0.16C) to my new ISY. Everything is working fine now, even my two Schlage Z-wave door locks. To include the two locks I had to temporarily move my ISY about 3 feet from the door. 

My question is should I upgrade my firmware to 5.3.0? Since everything works fine now I am a little hesitant to do so. Are there other advantages to updating to the latest firmware that i might not be aware of.

Thanks for your help on this. 

Interface on 5.3.0 is now more confusing than ever....

Some part of this is missing prompts, explanations and visual elements.  Some is just confusion in how the UI is structured.  For example:

a) The buttons really don't look like buttons at all.  When selecting a device, the buttons across the bottom send commands, and because of their grouping, they kind of suggest they are buttons, but have no decoration to let you know that.  they are just grey squares, and don't look "pushable"

b) the "buttons" in the middle of the screen look like labels.  I couldn't figure out why my ramp rates were not changing, and reverting back to previous values.  The box labeled "backlight" for example carries no hint that you should push it to write the new value to the device.  

c) why are there "right arrows" on "On" and "Beep"?  what does "NLS-null[CMD-I_BEEP_255:level" mean?

d) when selecting a scene from the navigation pane, you are nominally modifying a scene, but its totally not clear that there are multiple "scene's within a scene", NOR that the ISY is a controller for the scene, and that thats what you are changing when you click on the scene. Here the update button at least has a feeble attempt at making it look clickable, but its to the left and above the things you are changing.

At this point some sort of 2-D setup here of controllers vs responders would REALLY improve the ability to see what is going on. 

when you click on a controller it gives you a list of responders, but when you click on a responder you get the device itself, and no indication that you are not changing the scene, or the devices's ON level in the scene, or again, that you even can push any of the "buttons" which look like labels...

e) There's no label or explanation of the dropdown box with "Insteon" in it, or how one might actually use it.  Wouldn't it it better for it to say something like" Send Insteon Command"  or "Don't send anything to this device"  Others have complained that its not clear what the options do as well.

Is it not possible to load a more visually helpful set of primitives into the UI?  Maybe some tooltips?

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been covered, but there would be lots of reading to try and catch up; but I have deferred moving to the 5.x branch to see how things will settle, but desire to make this update in the next week or so.  I don't have a lot of z-wave devices, and only one is in a program; so I was planning excluding them before the update and re-adding them after.  I also intend to delete those programs that I either don't use or are old/raw enough that they could probably use reworking anyway (take some screenshots so I at least have a reference).  This *should* minimize interactions with the update.

So my question is: does this seem like a decent plan, or am I being overly cautious?

2 hours ago, randyf said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but there would be lots of reading to try and catch up; but I have deferred moving to the 5.x branch to see how things will settle, but desire to make this update in the next week or so.  I don't have a lot of z-wave devices, and only one is in a program; so I was planning excluding them before the update and re-adding them after.  I also intend to delete those programs that I either don't use or are old/raw enough that they could probably use reworking anyway (take some screenshots so I at least have a reference).  This *should* minimize interactions with the update.

So my question is: does this seem like a decent plan, or am I being overly cautious?

It's worth reading as there are a few nuances that you could potentially avoid if you're aware of the pitfalls of those who blazed the path before you. 

Personally, I think you're being overly cautious but it's not a bad plan since you don't have much anyway.

Since you're planning on a fresh zwave install, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Factory reset the zwave board before re-installing your zwave devices and you'll be good to go. You may need to bring devices close to the ish to re-add them. 

15 hours ago, randyf said:

Please see:

Just those two posts in that thread should answer your questions. 5m of reading or less.

@randyf the most important thing to understand before upgrading is which z-wave board is installed in your ISY.   

The easiest method is open the admin console choose Z-wave > Z-wave version.  if the answer is 6.81 then all of the 5.x versions are available to you, you should upgrade directly to v5.3.3  If the answer is 4.55.00 then you can not go past ISY version v5.0.16C.  

If you fall in the the 300 Series version 4.55.00 group then the z-wave board is up-gradable and UDI has special pricing based on the age of your ISY.  See here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave:_Ordering/Assembly_Instructions

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 1

I did the upgrade and now get the dreaded "Z-wave dongle not responding"

Using a 2413S, revision 2.5

Everything had worked for years.

Done the obvious things like power cycling, to no avail.

Tried refreshing - no change

Restored from backup made just prior to firmware update - no change

Have no idea what other troubleshooting I can do. I was under the impression that the Z-wave dongle was plug-and-play with the main ISY 994i. Might I have installed the wrong firmware? I'm always a little unclear which of the two versions need to be installed in this system based on the descriptions.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Product:

ISY 994i PRO (1100)

- OpenADR (21010)

- Z-Wave (21100)

- Portal integration - UDI (21075)

32 minutes ago, Tedsan said:

I did the upgrade and now get the dreaded "Z-wave dongle not responding"

Using a 2413S, revision 2.5

Everything had worked for years.

Done the obvious things like power cycling, to no avail.

Tried refreshing - no change

Restored from backup made just prior to firmware update - no change

Have no idea what other troubleshooting I can do. I was under the impression that the Z-wave dongle was plug-and-play with the main ISY 994i. Might I have installed the wrong firmware? I'm always a little unclear which of the two versions need to be installed in this system based on the descriptions.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Product:

ISY 994i PRO (1100)

- OpenADR (21010)

- Z-Wave (21100)

- Portal integration - UDI (21075)

Did you confirm you have the upgraded v5 zwave dongle, the one without the blue light? 

Go to the Help menu, About and post your zwave version number. If you upgraded to v5, it should not be 4.55.

Edited by DennisC
Correction
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DennisC said:

Did you confirm you have the upgraded v5 zwave dongle, the one without the blue light? 

Go to the Help menu, About and post your zwave version number. If you upgraded to v5, it should not be 4.55.

Thanks, I'm afraid that I'm confused. I posted everything that shows in my About screen but there's nothing like a V5 or 4.55. It says Z-wave (21100)

Which doesn't look like any sort of version number I've seen.

Unfortunately, it now seems to be stuck in an endless cycle of "Linking. Please do not power off /unplug the system..." so the admin console isn't allowing me to take any other actions.

And by "endless cycle", I mean it's been doing that for the last 5 hours. The progress bar completes then it goes back to linking again so I can't manually change the firmware or do anything with the system.

I can show the PLM status if that helps

53.BE.6A v9E

Thanks for any more advice!

18 minutes ago, Tedsan said:

Thanks, I'm afraid that I'm confused. I posted everything that shows in my About screen but there's nothing like a V5 or 4.55. It says Z-wave (21100)

Try the bottom of the Z-Wave menu: Z-Wave | Z-Wave Version

Selecting this option should produce a pop-up window that looks something like this (screenshot).

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.25.39 AM.png

• Like 2