Release 5.3.0 - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

48 minutes ago, poormonkey said:

I am currently on v4.5.4 for my ISY994.   The older I get, the more I want to keep things simple and not create more work.  With saying that, it appears if I take the leap to upgrade to 5.3 it will be a crap shoot if it will require any manual intervention to make the upgrade work.   So, if I hold off for now upgrading, will the future version above 5.3 will it become more rock solid on it's upgrade process from older v4.x versions of firmware to above 5.3??

If you have only minimal z-wave devices and do not plan to buy any more devices in the near term, you definitely could stay on 4.x for a while.  Only things you will lose are Polyglot and some new features and device support.  But what you have now should continue to work just fine. 

But if you have any z-wave, or if you want to start looking a broader device support and Polyglot, I would upgrade to 5.0.16C and get that stable.  5.0.16C will at least get you to 5.x, but will avoid the need to upgrade your z-wave module (if you have one).  This upgrade will probably require you to adjust some programs and maybe re-discover some devices, so set aside an hour or so to get everything working just right after the upgrade. 

Then the later upgrade to 5.3 and above will be pretty much trivial assuming you have the new 500 series z-wave dongle.  

Edited by blueman2

1 hour ago, blueman2 said:

If you have only minimal z-wave devices and do not plan to buy any more devices in the near term, you definitely could stay on 4.x for a while.  Only things you will lose are Polyglot and some new features and device support.  But what you have now should continue to work just fine. 

But if you have any z-wave, or if you want to start looking a broader device support and Polyglot, I would upgrade to 5.0.16C and get that stable.  5.0.16C will at least get you to 5.x, but will avoid the need to upgrade your z-wave module (if you have one).  This upgrade will probably require you to adjust some programs and maybe re-discover some devices, so set aside an hour or so to get everything working just right after the upgrade. 

Then the later upgrade to 5.3 and above will be pretty much trivial assuming you have the new 500 series z-wave dongle.  

Thanks for the information.  I don't have a z-wave module.      

17 hours ago, poormonkey said:

I am currently on v4.5.4 for my ISY994.   The older I get, the more I want to keep things simple and not create more work.  With saying that, it appears if I take the leap to upgrade to 5.3 it will be a crap shoot if it will require any manual intervention to make the upgrade work.   So, if I hold off for now upgrading, will the future version above 5.3 will it become more rock solid on it's upgrade process from older v4.x versions of firmware to above 5.3??

The fact that you're on 4.5.4 along with what you're looking for, I would say you don't need to upgrade to 5.anything at all outside of wanting to stayup to date (which is probably irrelevant since your firmware was released over 4 years ago).

I don't see the upgrade process getting any easier. If anything, the larger the gap between where you are now vs where the isy can/will be in the future will most likely only make things worse. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, tibbar said:

Hello.

Upgraded from 5.0.16C to 5.3.0 it looked good at first.

Not sure if it is the same BUG that @asbril reported with control vs status.

I have few programs that rely on Yale deadbolts control in "IF" portion of the program.

Unfortunately deadbolts are not available if I choose "control".

Went back to 5.0.16C and everything is working fine.

Is it a bug or could I do something to fix it?

Thanks.

@Michel Kohanim Any chance you could comment on that.

Thanks

It's not unusual to end up with unexplained nodes. To clean up the device tree I created a folder and put all the unused nodes in it. 

I noticed that you have a pending write for ZW038, Right click on that node and then write updates.

3 minutes ago, jrswartzga said:

I have an ISY994IZW with the 300 series board.   At this time I have only Insteon devices.   I am running 5.0.16C.   Is there any reason to upgrade to 5.3 for any future Insteon support?  Or, even to upgrade beyond 5.0.16C.

5.3.0 does not support the 300 series board. For now you're OK to stay with 5.0.16C

If you decide to add some Zwave devices later on then it's best to upgrade to the 500 series board and the 5.3.0 ISY firmware. 

For more information read the release notes for the various versions.

1 hour ago, jrswartzga said:

I have an ISY994IZW with the 300 series board.   At this time I have only Insteon devices.   I am running 5.0.16C.   Is there any reason to upgrade to 5.3 for any future Insteon support?  Or, even to upgrade beyond 5.0.16C.

I'm in the same boat.  I went ahead and upgraded to 5.3 just because I like my stuff to be up to date.  There are no issues with doing so.  I still have the 300 board and it isn't causing a problem.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 5:33 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

@tibbar,

Unfortunately not .. really cannot keep track of bugs through the forum. If you wish, please submit a ticket.

With kind regards,
Michel

My bad. I thought threads like this were about finding bugs.

3 hours ago, tibbar said:

Yes, this can be confusing.  Typically, we use threads like this to ask questions to see if issues we are having have solutions, or if they might be true bugs.  If we strongly suspect there is a bug based on other people reporting the same issue, one (or more) of us will open a ticket with UDI so that they can log the bug.  

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tibbar said:

The problem with forums is that so many people comment on different things, issues can get lost in the process. UDI can't read every post to find whats what (though they chime in regularly). A ticket is the best way to get a bug fixed long term.

• Like 1

Currently on 5.0.16C with mostly Z-Wave devices and 300 series board. I have purchased the 500 series Z-Wave board, but I'm reluctant to upgrade because everything is working in the current configuration. I have an older Kwikset door lock that is not Z-wave plus and I use user codes in several programs. From what I've read user codes may not work on 5.3. Anyone with experience with older Kwikset locks? I'm not sure of the exact model #, I bought it as a 909 and later added the Z-Wave board to it.  Part of me is itching to upgrade, but another is saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

I have  4 Schlage BE469 Locks.  Since upgrading to 5.3 They seem to be draining their batteries at an alarming rate.  I am talking days!  Whereas previously they lasted many Months.  I have text alerts configured with battery levels and watch them plummet.

I may have to exclude them and re-add.

Bill

1 hour ago, WFP said:

I have  4 Schlage BE469 Locks.  Since upgrading to 5.3 They seem to be draining their batteries at an alarming rate.  I am talking days!  Whereas previously they lasted many Months.  I have text alerts configured with battery levels and watch them plummet.

I may have to exclude them and re-add.

Bill

I've only got one, but I excluded and included it when I installed 5.3.0 on the day of release.  I also changed the batteries at that time. I probably use the lock 5-6 times a day, and the batteries are still showing at 100% this morning, so I'm not seeing any unusual battery drain.

17 hours ago, TexMike said:

Part of me is itching to upgrade, but another is saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Any advice?

I was in the same situation a few months ago.   Had the new zwave card.  Desires to have the latest versions of everything.  

I went ahead and upgraded.  As near as I could tell, everthing went well.  Backups seemed to restore.  Zwave software version reflected newer version.  Programs and scenes appeared to be in order.

What I quickly observed, however, was that most of my zwave devices no longer had the same ability as before.  While I could control them from the ISY, they no longer updated thier status as before.  No program that I had based upon status of zwave swithes worked.  (Programs based upon zwave motion sensors appeared to work fine.)

I could exclude and include devices.  New nodes showed up where there were none before.  No communication errors noted.  Everthing appeared, at least to me, as if it were working normally.  Still, what worked before the upgrade (specifically, program triggers) did not work as before.

I do not have a lot of zwave devices (one schlage lock, a handful of motion sensors, five switches, and about as many outlets) so I ended up excluding, factory resetting, and re-including some of them.  I also replaced one of the zwave switches with a newer one.  At this point, everything is working as before.  After that, I replaced a failing insteon switch with a zwave version.  Suddenly, perhaps coincidentally, an existing zwave device started failing communication with the ISY.  I had to remove it from the box to move closer to the ISY, then excluded/included it.  It now works as before.

Summary: if you don’t have a lot of zwave devices and are willing to risk the possibility of having to exclude/include,go ahead.  On the other hand, I did not see any immediate benefit to the upgrade, do I would advise to delay if you are heavily into zwave or don’t want to to risk spending several hours on the transition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bumbershoot said:

I've only got one, but I excluded and included it when I installed 5.3.0 on the day of release.  I also changed the batteries at that time. I probably use the lock 5-6 times a day, and the batteries are still showing at 100% this morning, so I'm not seeing any unusual battery drain.

I should have excluded first!

Right now, I have tried to exclude one.

Done it, but trying to Include it back in all I can get is the ZW 026 Unavailable...Ugh.

I am a Z-Wave illiterate

I have about a dozen devices (One fan Controller, Two, Water Valves, and some On/off wall warts)  but if I burn down the Z-wave network and start from scratch I am not sure I can add these Z-Wave plus lock back in like they worked before the upgrade.

Bill

44 minutes ago, WFP said:

I should have excluded first!

Right now, I have tried to exclude one.

Done it, but trying to Include it back in all I can get is the ZW 026 Unavailable...Ugh.

I am a Z-Wave illiterate

I have about a dozen devices (One fan Controller, Two, Water Valves, and some On/off wall warts)  but if I burn down the Z-wave network and start from scratch I am not sure I can add these Z-Wave plus lock back in like they worked before the upgrade.

Bill

I had to move my lock close to the ISY to successfully exclude/include.  I found, also, that the process assigned a new ZW-XX number to any device so excluded/included.  In the case of my lock, a factory reset was also needed.  If your ZW026 is the same ID as before, I suggest that your exclude/factory reset/include process was not entirely successful.

I have been moving my ISY closer to the locks.  

I have excluded all my devices...including the z-wave mouse trap :)

Reset the ISY z-wave Dongle to factory

Synchonized...I think unnecessary

Fresh batteries in all locks

Added back in one lock successfully....YEAH!  Still no options but at least it is there.  With the correct new ZW002 assignment.  Now for the next lock!

Bill