How to make Insteon 6-Button Ctrl status match Fan speed set with Alexa?

kzboray

7 minutes ago, MrBill said:

IDK... I don't understand.  I've had this setup for 7 years using 4 scenes and no programs and the buttons are always in sync.

This allows users to select the fan motor as the device for alexa, so it has native fan controls.  Also syncs UD Mobile if controlling the fan motor.

7 minutes ago, Javi said:

This allows users to select the fan motor as the device for alexa, so it has native fan controls.

It's a little problematic because, although you can control the backlight on a KPL button, you cannot have it send a command (as if you are physically clicking it). So, without some acrobatics that will definitely cause all on/off issues, you cannot get away with only one scene.

With kind regards,
Michel

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

It's a little problematic because, although you can control the backlight on a KPL button, you cannot have it send a command (as if you are physically clicking it). So, without some acrobatics that will definitely cause all on/off issues, you cannot get away with only one scene.

With kind regards,
Michel

This already works well, the issue is manual control of the FanLink from Alexa/UD-Mobile and keeping the KPL in sync. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Javi said:

This allows users to select the fan motor as the device for alexa, so it has native fan controls.  Also syncs UD Mobile if controlling the fan motor.

I think my setup does predate the portal Fan button for Alexa setup.... nonetheless... it works well.

question for anyone.  I have installed fan lic and alexa on one fan.  This problem I have with the second fan  called Bedroom fan is. I have to turn the remote control for the fan on before I can do anything. I have to do this every time I want to use the keypad or alexia.  My othe fan witch had a remote alway work either way. Any ideas

Have you looked over the following information? This post contains working instructions for both 4.x and 5.x software families.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY994i:INSTEON_Device:FanLinc-KPL_FanLinc_KeypadLinc_Configuration#Firmware_5.x

The other possibility is that the FAN you are using, is being powered off by the remote and simply can't be used until it is first sent a power on commend from the remote. For fans being controlled by a FanLinc you would preferably only use a dumb fan, no remote controller. Just the old pull cords version; and I remove the pull cords because the same thing can happen. If someone where to pull the light chain, the light would no longer work via Alexa or the 6-button switch since it has been powered off at the fan itself. So until someone pulls that chain one more time, the light will not work.

• Like 1

I deleted my fanlinc by accident.  I cant get it to work. Seem ever thing I do it revert all scense to high.  Alexia still works great. But all my button do nothing but put in on high and then you cant turn it off.  I need someone to show me the basic scene, I will worry about sinking the botton with alex later.  HELP befor i go CRAZY

With 5.x firmware things have changed a bit, but the old way of creating a scene for each button still work too. Check out this page for step by step. Be sure to use the instructions for the version of firmware you are using. i.e. 5.x or 4.x.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY994i:INSTEON_Device:FanLinc-KPL_FanLinc_KeypadLinc_Configuration

I should also mention that if you use the newer 5.x version of setting up a KPL and FanLinc, you  will end up with an extra button. The Fan OFF isn't needed in this configuration, which by the way works with Alexa. You can of course add in an OFF button program, but I like having an extra button to play with.

• 1 month later...

I have a ceiling fan controlled with a Fanlinc and two 6 button KPLs that I'm trying to get to work with Alexa. The only command that works with Alexa is the off command. Alexa recognizes the other commands, however the fan doesn't turn on or change speeds.

The fan is controlled as expected from the KPLs.

Here are screenshots of the admin console showing the four scenes and showing how I have Alexa configured in the portal.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Screenshot (31).png

Screenshot (34).png

@dbuss It has been a topic of much discussion in the thread you've posted in. You should read from the start and see how best to solve how you would like to handle this.

The biggest issue I've always had was once Portal was able to send the fanlinc motor to Alexa as a Fan device the keypad is hard to keep in sync without a program (at least in my basic/simple setup). 

Also review the information in the portal forum - 

Ultimately, you can expose the Fanlinc directly as a FAN and then tell Alexa to adjust the speed accordingly. It works wonderfully!

Now, if you want/need the keypad links to be in sync there's a lot of discussion in this thread and in the wiki links above your post that will give you guidance. You just have to work it out until you're happy with it. Otherwise, don't worry about the keypad lights and just let Alexa handle the speeds. 

Add into the process the possible inclusion of a mobile app (like UD Mobile) and things really get interesting.

But you've created too much work by exposing the scenes specifically and possibly causing a lot of issues with the verbal commands for Alexa. Keep them short. Keep them simple. Alexa is really rather stupid at times and doesn't listen to long commands. (IMO)

20 minutes ago, Geddy said:

But you've created too much work by exposing the scenes specifically and possibly causing a lot of issues with the verbal commands for Alexa. Keep them short. Keep them simple. Alexa is really rather stupid at times and doesn't listen to long commands. (IMO)

I agree with your statement. Everything other than Alexa is and has been working as expected with the scenes and programs I'm using. Today I took the challenge to try and get Alexa working. Alexa acknowledges the commands but the command doesn't reach the fan. 

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I figured out how to use Alexa to change fanlinc speed as per the portal forum post. 

Setup in portal the fanlinc device as a type fan. 
Make spoken something like bedroom fan

alexa set bedroom fan to 1 (low)

alexa set bedroom fan to 2 (med)

alexa set bedroom fan to 3 (hi)

I can’t get to recognize words medium and high like many others and numbers only work.

Note that when I set it to 1 it will cosmetically change to 0 in Alexa app and appear off but it is actually low. Doesn’t really matter unless looking at Alexa app. 

Setup four programs that adjust scenes for keypads led to keep in sync I mentioned how earlier. This method must use programs and not only scenes because we control fanlinc directly from Alexa as a device fan not scenes. 

Edited by brians
9 hours ago, brians said:

I figured out how to use Alexa to change fanlinc speed as per the portal forum post. 

Setup in portal the fanlinc device as a type fan. 
Make spoken something like bedroom fan

alexa set bedroom fan to 1 (low)

alexa set bedroom fan to 2 (med)

alexa set bedroom fan to 3 (hi)

I can’t get to recognize words medium and high like many others and numbers only work.

Note that when I set it to 1 it will cosmetically change to 0 in Alexa app and appear off but it is actually low. Doesn’t really matter unless looking at Alexa app. 

Setup four programs that adjust scenes for keypads led to keep in sync I mentioned how earlier. This method must use programs and not only scenes because we control fanlinc directly from Alexa as a device fan not scenes. 

I have never used a fan speed controller but with lights I always use the syntax.

"Alexa, turn on medium fan"
"Alex, turn on fan medium"

"Alexa, turn on low fan"
"Alexa, turn on high fan"

"Alexa, turn off fan"

Alexa syntax seems to understand the syntax more reliably if "Turn on" or "Turn off" is the used syntax.

That syntax, used for every device i have, including multiple levels, scenes, RGBCW bulbs and strips with many colours, is so much easier for others to remember.

I also have good success with simpler syntax for fans.

Alexa, fan low

Alexa, fan Medium

Alexa, fan High

Alexa, fan OFF

-----

Alexa, guest fan low

Alexa, guest fan medium

Alexa, guest fan high

Alexa, guest fan OFF

I also have good success with simpler syntax for fans.
Alexa, fan low
Alexa, fan Medium
Alexa, fan High
Alexa, fan OFF
-----
Alexa, guest fan low
Alexa, guest fan medium
Alexa, guest fan high
Alexa, guest fan OFF
I have been finding more Alexa confusion lately, when I use the same device name with and without an adjective descriptor.
Alexa started asking which fan, or other device, I mean when asked for the basic device to operate. This seems much more frequent lately. Perhaps I have started over from scratch and Alexa has to learn my devices again, first.

This was one of the main reasons I have about five google home speakers sitting in boxes now. Of course I don't want any AI garbage applied to my HA voice controls either. That can cost me money, and/ or be dangerous at times when assumptions are made

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk