Best ISY compatible LED light strips?

Blackbird

2 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I checked the site but couldnt see if you can connect multiple strips.  Can you tell me if thats possible?

Maybe check on the KASA forums?

https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/73?keyword=strip

I'm sure lots of your questions have been asked there. If not...you could ask their community and probably have wider sampling of answers and suggestions for your apparent need. 

9 hours ago, Athlon said:

Crazy busy day for me - will post pics sometime today for you (small wall wort and push button switch - we leave the switch on 24/7 obviously).

The included video showed a lot more detail. The box and photos show no evidence of anything except the strips.

From the video I se some scanning of patterns. Is that another model or the ones you are using? The light filling in from one end is a pretty cool effect. Directional instructions could be indicated to users and so much more.

10 hours ago, larryllix said:

The included video showed a lot more detail. The box and photos show no evidence of anything except the strips.

From the video I se some scanning of patterns. Is that another model or the ones you are using? The light filling in from one end is a pretty cool effect. Directional instructions could be indicated to users and so much more.

You can program any pattern you like. There are some pre-programmed ones in the Kasa App including a number of solid colors, aurora borealis, bubbling cauldron, candy cane, Christmas, candle flicker, grandma's christmas lights, Hanukkah, haunted mansion, icicle, lightening, ocean, rainbow, raindrop, spring and Valentines.

2 hours ago, Athlon said:

You can program any pattern you like. There are some pre-programmed ones in the Kasa App including a number of solid colors, aurora borealis, bubbling cauldron, candy cane, Christmas, candle flicker, grandma's christmas lights, Hanukkah, haunted mansion, icicle, lightening, ocean, rainbow, raindrop, spring and Valentines.

From that I have to conclude the strips have individually addressable LED (chunks or sections). How does ISY deal with that? Obviously ISY wouldn't be able to program individual sections, but possibly preset patterns?

Addressable LEDS

I expect that the ISY will only call up preprogrammed sequences.

I have used several Addressable LED strips and matrixes that I interface and program via a wifi capable arduino microcontroller.    That allows one to have total control over unique sequences and ability to use your own network command set interface with the ISY.

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/32992-addressable-led-visual-display-board/?do=findComment&comment=313775

I am currently working on a 48 x 48 ( 2304 LEDS) panel matrix.   

• Like 1
5 hours ago, larryllix said:

From that I have to conclude the strips have individually addressable LED (chunks or sections). How does ISY deal with that? Obviously ISY wouldn't be able to program individual sections, but possibly preset patterns?

Haven't played with that too much - I use my ISY to turn them on and off and set brightness in a scene only. What comes on in terms of a light show is what I've set with the Kasa app. ISY might be able to do more, just not sure. I'll check that when I'm able to.

Edited by Athlon
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Thanks!

However I cannot read the small print no matter how I magnify it. :(

Hmm - I'm viewing on a desktop and can read it perfectly. I'll see if I can dm you the pic. DM sent, but may be the same as here. I do not know how to get the original to you.

EDIT: See 2cond dm...

20 hours ago, Athlon said:

Here's a screenshot of my ISY - this may give you an idea of what you can do with the node server and my version of the LED strips.

ledstrips.thumb.png.f3919af8be6f68a0e8b52e6c0e56183d.png

Thank you.  I got the lights and am very happy with them so far.  Havent got the Polisy running isy yet.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

Edited by Blackbird
  • Thanks 1

Hello Athlon,

I am curious about the screen shot reporting of current , voltage and power.   It shows 0.8W ( assuming when off)?     Do you happen to know if that is accurate?

The reason I ask is because Addressable LEDs can be pretty inefficient when powered up but nothing is being displayed.   For the 5 volt LEDs I am using each LED also has its own IC that receives commands and controls that LED.  Those ICs take 1ma each.    So with a matrix/string of 512 LEDs that is 0.5 amps x 5volts = 2.5watts. That is when nothing is displayed.  

It is for that reason on my displays that I added circuitry to turn off ( interrupt power) to the string when nothing is being displayed to save energy.   The microcontroller remains alive for wifi connectivity, just the LED string/matrix are unpowered

I am curious if the Kasa product attempts to so something similar or not? 

Thank you Athlon,

Hopefully Blackbird will update when they test theirs.   I suspect the 0.8w is correct and that is the power wasted when nothing is displayed.    It might be interesting to see a screen shot of the current values when full on.   

I found the Kasa site somewhat lacking in details.   From what I could derive the string is 150 leds total, with each cuttable section consisting of 3 leds,  as a "color zone"?    One control IC per 3 leds.