Trying to migrate from ISY to EISY

Go to solution Solved by Javi,

Get the following error: "ISY [UUID] is not approved in the admin console."

Any idea on how I can correct this?  I just migrated from my ISY994i to EISY.  That seemed to go well, both Insteon and Zwave are running.  But the migration of the portal is not working.

I don't know who the #$#% thought that having to scan the BOTTOM of the Eisy was a good idea, but it's not.  My EISY is attached to wood in my basement.  And even when I get my ladder, unhook everything, and scan the BOTTOM of the EISY, it still doesn't work.

image.png.d967ea99a7082ab91d5d491e522c8721.png

@ctviggen1 make sure you’ve added the eisy to your portal account and setup the trial portal subscription for the eisy. 

Wiki instructions to migrate the portal: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Migrate_configurations_to_a_new_ISY

If you have the eisy on the portal it needs to be approved in admin console on configuration tab then portals tab.  

16 hours ago, ctviggen1 said:

I don't know who the #$#% thought that having to scan the BOTTOM of the Eisy was a good idea, but it's not.

I guess nearly every other IT company is just as crazy; nearly every device I’ve purchased in the last 5 years has had a label on the bottom required for setup, reference or other use.  Lighten up…maybe you could have used the code and setup it up before mounting. 

22 minutes ago, ctviggen1 said:

I don't know who the #$#% thought that having to scan the BOTTOM of the Eisy was a good idea, but it's not.  My EISY is attached to wood in my basement.  And even when I get my ladder, unhook everything, and scan the BOTTOM of the EISY, it still doesn't work.

image.png.d967ea99a7082ab91d5d491e522c8721.png

Where would you suggest they put it? UDI like most businesses will do things based on the majority of their users.  Many many more people will leave their units on a shelf than those who will mount their units in hard to reach undesirable locations.....This is especially so considering the need to scan a code is something that may be needed once or twice while in use

• Like 1
  • Solution

Hi @ctviggen1,

The error you are getting because the system has not been approved for remote connections.  Go to the Admin Console > Configuration > Portals to approve remote access.  This is a security to ensure nobody other than you can access your system.

With regards to the QR Code, you can generate one online using the instructions linked below.  However it is not necessary, simply select Polisy as the system type and the app will not prompt for QR Code.  Using this method you will need to manually select, or enter, the system as the App's System Finder has no way of knowing if a system found is the intended system.  The QR Code gives the app the UUID so it compare found systems to the scanned UUID.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Damaged_QR_Code

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The post by Javi worked for the Alexa integration, which is mainly what I care about. No matter what I do, I cannot get the app to work.  I cannot get it to work by saying I have Polisy, and even taking a picture of the back for eisy, I cannot get it to work.  Moreover EVERY TIME I press a key on my phone, I get a "Could not match section" error with an OK button.  EVERY TIME.  Try typing in 192.168.xxx.yyy by pressing 1 then OK, then 9, then OK, then 2, then OK, then accidentally hitting m, then OK, then delete, then OK...

As for the code, GIVE ME SOME INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!~!~!!!!~!~~~~ Whoever designed the packaging went to the Apple school of "we're not going to tell you anything, you have to figure out everything."  Can I plug my Insteon into any USB port?  No idea.  Can I plug my Zwave board into any USB port?  No idea.

DO I NEED TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE BOTTOM OF THE DEVICE?  No idea.

Instead, this is what you get:

image.png.7be2e69031c95a5b16d533bcfb63c273.png

Where does it say that I'll be using a code on the bottom of the device? It says freaking NOTHING. 

I'll help you. Here's some text you can add:

Note. If you are using an Insteon PLM, you can plug our overpriced cable system into any USB port. If you are using our Zwave add-on, you can plug this into any USB port.

If you are going to use the UD app, and will not have access or have limited access to the bottom of the Eisy, please take a picture of the bottom for the QR code that is there. This QR code will be used later to ease set up of the UD app and the EISY.

There.  That will make people like me -- who have zero time to do this crap -- happier.

• Thanks 1

Allow me to continue.

"You may also note that there are 4 screws included. After trying these in various holes of the mounting plate, you'll see that two of them fit two holes, which align with female holes on the Eisy to allow the Eisy to be mounted to the mounting plate. What are the other two holes for? You'll have to find out yourself.

If you have a Zwave add-on, you might be concerned that the add-on will be affected by the mounting system. Do not fear! We have created the mounting system so that the Eisy is raised such that the Zwave add-on will not impinge whatever surface to which the mounting plate is attached.

We have also included, in its own plastic bag, a pink "thing". Is it double sided tape?  Or what is it?  No one knows."

• Thanks 1

Hi @ctviggen1,

With regards to instructions they say install UD Mobile then "Let UD Mobile guide you the rest of the way".    UD Mobile will guide you through scanning, cable installation, Insteon Modem Installation, and/or Z-Wave connection.  I understand your frustration, however the instructions were not followed. 

We are here to help so please let us know where in the app you encounter "Could not match section", and if you are using Android or iOS?  This is likely an app bug which may not have been encountered by testers as we are outside of normal onboarding.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

With all respect and not meaning to be confrontational, UD Mobile did not guide me through ANYTHING.  Did it have to be a new, clean install of the app?  I have long had the app installed for use with the ISY994.  I plugged in the Eisy to power, opened the app and there was nothing guiding me.  Did I have to scan the QR code on the card that came with the Eisy?  I did not do that because I understood it was just to install the UD app, which I already had. Once I figured out on my own to go to settings and add device, I finally saw the option for adding Eisy.  Tapping that opened the QR code scanner.  I was able to enter my network info and that was it.  No more feedback or direction.

Since ISY994 are sunsetting, I'm considering migrating to EISY.  One thing I can't find info on is...does a migration bring everything that was on the 994 over to the EISY?  I have many hundreds of lines of "If/then" code that I don't want to have to replicate.  It only makes sense that it would transfer in a migration, but I just don't see confirmation of that anywhere.

Edited by Krusty66
spelling
Since ISY994 are sunsetting, I'm considering migrating to EISY.  One thing I can't find info on is...does a migration bring everything that was on the 994 over to the EISY?  I have many hundreds of lines of "If/then" code that I don't want to have to replicate.  It only makes sense that it would transfer in a migration, but I just don't see confirmation of that anywhere.

In general, almost all devices and programming will transfer. All Insteon will come over and depending on your zwave controller choice and compatibility with your devices, all or most of zwave will come over. To be clearer, all programs will come over but some device specific parameters may not.
On 5/28/2023 at 9:52 PM, kurelgyer said:

With all respect and not meaning to be confrontational, UD Mobile did not guide me through ANYTHING.  Did it have to be a new, clean install of the app?  I have long had the app installed for use with the ISY994.  I plugged in the Eisy to power, opened the app and there was nothing guiding me.  Did I have to scan the QR code on the card that came with the Eisy?  I did not do that because I understood it was just to install the UD app, which I already had. Once I figured out on my own to go to settings and add device, I finally saw the option for adding Eisy.  Tapping that opened the QR code scanner.  I was able to enter my network info and that was it.  No more feedback or direction.

For new installations of UDM the app will guide you through initial setup,  for existing installations go to Settings Tab > Systems > Add (top right).  We don't want the app looking for new systems everytime it is started as this could cause delays.

If transferring your setup from isy to eisy the migration instructions must be followed as this may require some manual intervention depending on your ISY firmware.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Javi said:

For new installations of UDM the app will guide you through initial setup,  for existing installations go to Settings Tab > Systems > Add (top right).  We don't want the app looking for new systems everytime it is started as this could cause delays.

If transferring your setup from isy to eisy the migration instructions must be followed as this may require some manual intervention depending on your ISY firmware.

I would suggest this be noted on the Setup card that comes in the box.

• Like 1

I've migrated my configuration from the ISY to the eISY, migrated the portal, and things appear to be generally working.  I can control Insteon devices in Mobilinc on my iPhone, however I can no longer get UD Mobile to run on the iPhone at all.  When I click on it, I see a brief flash of the app, and then it disappears.  If I look at what apps are running in the background on the phone, UD Mobile is there, but selecting it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?  Did I perhaps miss a step in the migration from the ISY somewhere?  Thanks.

13 hours ago, fmk2 said:

I've migrated my configuration from the ISY to the eISY, migrated the portal, and things appear to be generally working.  I can control Insteon devices in Mobilinc on my iPhone, however I can no longer get UD Mobile to run on the iPhone at all.  When I click on it, I see a brief flash of the app, and then it disappears.  If I look at what apps are running in the background on the phone, UD Mobile is there, but selecting it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?  Did I perhaps miss a step in the migration from the ISY somewhere?  Thanks.

Appears that the app is crashing.   If the following does not work please open a ticket and include your UUID and we may be able to perform remote diagnostic.

We have encountered a handful of users who created a vicious loop in a program which causes UDM to crash. The usual culprit is the Query Program which users try to fix but create an action to run itself causing a never ending loop, but this could be any program. eisy is much quicker than ISY so the events queue in UDM until events overflow memory in a few seconds.   Please check for running programs in Admin Console then stop and disable any programs stuck running.  Stopping and Disabling the program may take some time as the AC is likely having the same issues as UDM. The PC has more working memory and processor speed so it may be a few minutes before overflow is triggered.

Thanks for the reply.

I did still have a couple programs related to the Zigbee power management enabled.  I also had a couple programs related to weather alerts that relied on the Ambient Weather node but they were based on the PG2 version of the node. (I haven't enabled PG3 yet.)  Neither the power management or weather programs were running, but I deleted all of them since I'll need to recreate them once I get PG3 up anyway.

I then waited about 15 minutes to make sure they were truly deleted before trying to run UD Mobile on the iPhone.  No luck.  When I look in AC, I don't see any programs currently running so I don't think that's an issue at this point.

I'll open a ticket.